Kid reviews for Dial L for Loser: A Clique Novel

Tween book is S for superficial, C for catty.

Teen, 14 years old Written bybat3151 March 20, 2010

Don't read if you're stupid

Why shouldn't you read this if you're stupid? Well, you might act like the characters! These books are great- if you know that these characters are the opposite of how you should act. The sex may be a bit "much" for some kids, but it isn't anything that you don't already hear on the playground. Consumerism plays a big part, but, thats just the way it is.
Kid, 11 years old May 24, 2013

The clique

I overall love this book. This book makes you realize that everyone has a sweet side. This book uses medium language but someone maybe 11-12 could handle it.

Teen, 15 years old Written byCrystalCloud March 5, 2013

These books are ah-mazing

This is my favorite book, in my favorite series! I ah-dore these books! I don't know why its getting these iffy ratings. The books do have postive messages and role models, if you look under what the characters are saying!
Teen, 13 years old Written byearthgurl July 4, 2010

11+!

I don't know how lip-kissing is a "bad" thing. It's a pretty appropriate book!
Teen, 14 years old Written bybodly November 30, 2009

These books will NOT ruin your childhood. Geez.

Okay, I know that a lot of parents don't like this series. But as a teenager and young adult, I've found that it's good to have been exposed to something beyond the bubble my parents had built for me. An "unlit cigarette"? Really? Lots of children have parents who smoke, AND drink alcohol (not saying it's a good thing, but it's not like they haven't been exposed to that sort of thing) ! In my opinion, it's better not to stumble through life without knowing how others live. Plus, anybody with common sense would know that walking in public in only a bra is a bad idea... Honestly, if you don't think your kids aren't going to sneak these books behind your back, then good luck to you. All in all, it's just a bunch of harmless preteens who like to wear fancy clothes and compete against one another socially. Get off your high horses.
Kid, 12 years old February 25, 2013

The characters shouldn't be viewed as role models, yet an excellent book!

I have read this series, and I find it a very excellent read as long as the reader realizes that these girls are not ones they should look up to and view as role models. The girls in the Pretty Committee are very vain and only seem to care about themselves, shopping, and money. Claire is more of a member in the Pretty Committee that readers would want to look up to because she isn't as vain as the other girls, she doesn't get only designer labels, yet she still takes care in her appearance. She makes friends outside of the group and is very nice to others. The book is basically an advertisement for over-the-top labels such as DKNY, Jimmy Choo, Prada, and many more. But other than that, I give it two thumbs up!

Teen, 15 years old Written byTeenParent15 January 24, 2012

What a joke...

Why do people read this book? Oh yeah because it's WAY too easy to make fun of. I imagine a scenario where she has to go help in a 3rd world country. HA!

Teen, 13 years old Written byDanah December 7, 2011

Dial L for Loser

Kid, 10 years old October 27, 2011

REALLY GOOD !

this book is one of my favorites . i mean come on your kids r gonna learn these terms some day , right ?
Kid, 12 years old October 8, 2011

There is a Message

I agree that the girls in these books are not good role models but I dissgree that there is no message. I think there are a few actullay. The first one is about how pathic the whole clique thing is. I mean only wear this brand and since your in our clique you can't hang out with her. That's awful and it shows girls that. Second, this book isn't telling girls how to act it's telling them how NOT to act. Those girls act terrible and it shows that girls like Massie deserve to get what's coming to them. The final one is about how the popular clique isn't what it's like. In every book that I read so far at least two of the girls get into a fight. They aveusly hate each other. In my opinion these are amazing and funny coming of age books.

Teen, 13 years old Written byWriterGirl1233 May 21, 2011
Its good for girly-girls but there is bullying and occasional swearing so its mostly ages 12+
Kid, 11 years old May 5, 2011

Two favorites

CLAIRE MASSIE my two favorites!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kid, 11 years old April 5, 2011

Perfect for 'tweens'

This book is a 'perf' as Massie would say my 11 year old daughter LOVES the series! :)

Kid, 12 years old March 14, 2011

Good book;worth at least three stars.

Common Sense, you missed some language in that book. That one has a lot more language than most of them, actually, so I guess maybe you didn't read the book thoroughly. This is the raciest one in the series, but I still like it a lot.

Teen, 13 years old Written byizamar January 17, 2011
Teen, 13 years old Written bydancegurlieexo01 January 10, 2011

I say it is on for 11 and older

I love the books it gives you something to think about. While I'm reading I think about what it would be like if i was those characters.

Teen, 13 years old Written bysunnytwo22 January 3, 2011

Great book

I love the clique series. It isnt good for little kids but 11 and up is fine. I started reading this when i was 11 and now ive read all of them. If you like this series you should also try alphas which is another series by lisi harrison.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCupcakeBiebs November 28, 2010
Even though these books are reflect really evil girls, I love them! They are just so fun to read, but I am 14 so I don't know if that makes a difference to anyone. Even though the messages are far from popular this series has helped me see the world and a point of view from different class. I own seven books of the series and have read them all. I can't wait to get the entire set.

Teen, 14 years old Written bylipglosschaos September 4, 2010

A great read for tweens: It shows the wrong way to go through middle school.

Allright. I've read the entire series. The "messages" are not to be catty. The book shows that all of these "Clique Girls" are miserable almost 24/7. Also, this book is part of a series, and character developement DOES happen. Just because characters in a book aren't good role models, doesn't mean they have to be role models at all! The "three lips" rating is absolutely ridiculous. The demographic for this book is fully aware that people kiss. And the content is very accurate for 12 year olds. And yes. At 12-14 girls' bodies are aging. This book shows that every other girl is insecure about their bodies, including the more 'developed' girls. The "three martinis" rating is also ridiculous. There are people in the world who smoke. The fact that people who are well of age drink a little bit is not the worst thing. In the book it's a couple martinis. The consumerism issue may not make the girls the most deep characters. But it does show that Claire (the poor girl trying to fit in) is almost always miserable because she's trying to fit it. This book is fine, and a fun read. The parents on this site need to stop obsessing over this. Clearly you people do not understand that most 13 year olds can read critically and understand that just because people in books do it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Kid, 12 years old July 12, 2010
i love the clique series! i really liked this particular book from the series. however, the girls are not very good role models.