Kid reviews for Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 1

Laugh-out-loud-funny series start tucks lessons in stories.

Teen, 15 years old Written byRaelin33 December 20, 2019

THIS IS NOT A FEMINIST NOVEL!!!!

I read these books as a kid. I loved them. I read them over and over again. But as I read them multiple times, I began to notice how INCREDIBLY sexist these books are. To the child that I was, it took me a while to notice it. Now I don't see how I didn't notice it before.

The only vaguely strong female character in this is the mom, who is seen as a type of 'villain', as she makes the boys do their chores ect. I guess that nobody likes doing their chores, but why should this make somebody a villain? (He wouldn't be in this situation with i=his mom anyway, if he didn't get in trouble so often, which Kinney fails to add to these books).

All other female characters are seen as 'prizes' for the boys if they 'get the girl'. It implies that they have no life outside of looking pretty and waiting for a guy to claim them. They are also seen as 'grumpy' or 'mean' if they turn down Greg's offer to date them, as well as when they get annoyed that he's pretending to be their boyfriend. Does this seem right to you?

Is this the message that Kinney's trying to teach the youth of today? That girls are 'prizes' for boys to 'win'?

I would advise parents to keep their kids away from these books, unless this is the lesson you want them to learn.
Kid, 9 years old October 9, 2009

A must read!

Sweet! I Love This Book! :)
Teen, 17 years old Written byXxWolfiexX April 3, 2020

Where's You Moral Ed Teacher?!

I have the book myself, i finished it, (I'm sorry) but then i noticed that the book had SO much bad behaviors that kids might copy if they read this book! Thank goodness i didn't end up being a big problem to everyone. This book does NOT teach moral values to ANY kind of child. I'm sure a Moral Education teacher would NEVER give this book to ANY child in her class, because it's just BAD! Sorry for the hate on the book, but this is what i think. However, if children noticed what is bad in the book, they might brainstorm ideas. They might imagine that they were in Greg's shoes and try to come up with a solution to his problem. But I'm sure NO kid is going to do that. This book might encourage children to write their own journals or diaries, (I have many diaries myself) but they might end up writing some NASTY stuff in there that is similar to Greg's story. My parents bought this book for me, and i think it's just a MISTAKE. I mean like, they didn't even flip through the pages before buying it! In school, my classmates and i were studying on Dr. Seuss and his books. We ended on March 2nd because it was his birthday. My teacher asked us what book/author should we study next. Before a student could even say anything, my teacher said NOT to choose this book at ALL. I guess it was because of the bad stuff in there. I don't suggest it to you or your child.

Bad things you can find in this book:
Bad language (Greg says the word "moron" at the start of the book.)
Sexy stuff (Greg tells kids how girls 'win' boys these days.)

Kid, 7 years old November 17, 2011

Worthless

My 7-yr-old is dying to read this series because one of his friends is reading it, so I borrowed the book and checked it out - and it is worthless.
First, if the main character is in middle school then the content is clearly not intended for younger children. In this case, the funny parts (and I'll admit, there are a lot) stem from inappropriate behavior and a generally sarcastic/negative view of the world, which is not a good example for younger children (if anyone).
Second, there is really no academic value, since the writing/vocabulary is so basic that it is not even a challenge for my 2nd-grader, let alone for the middle schoolers who are presumably its target audience.
Third, while I have heard claims that it teaches life lessons, this is only true in the sense that children may infer lessons about proper behavior by seeing this as an example of what not to do. Unfortunately, many of the scenarios are so amusing that children (especially younger ones) will be more likely to laugh about it with their friends and mimic the bad behavior thinking that they are being clever or funny.
On the whole, there are too many good books out there for readers of all levels to waste time & money on this stuff.
Kid, 12 years old September 21, 2009

Funny But Taking Our Money

I have read all three of the published novels and laughed out loud at a lot of it. However, the elements in it are pretty crude. Things get worse later in the series. Also, there is a whole series, and they just keep coming. Children are spending a lot of their money and their parents on buying these funny books that don't really convey any good messages. Greg's parents do punish him, but he always seems to find a way around it. Iffy for ages 10 and up.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBlahblah13 April 22, 2020

You people need to stop overreacting

I'm sorry, but this is a good book. When I was younger this was my favorite book series. You all are like "fart is a bad word" or "a sixth grader has a crush it's the end of the WORLD" and stuff like that, but it's not bad. That's the thing about this website. You parents seem to be overprotective of your kids which I understand, but this isn't a bad book. It's good for kids. It's funny. And while there are some things in here that may be "inappropriate", your kids are going to see these things in real life anyway. Hate to break it to you, but not everything is rainbows and unicorns. And if it gets your kid to read, let them have it.
Kid, 11 years old February 28, 2020

The Best Review of the best book

I've read the entire series and two and one third spin offs, so I think I have a fair judgement. I recommend this to preteens, not because of content, but because I think preteens will understand the book and what the characters are going through more. Let me state my opinion on the things people get riled up about... "hot" and "cute butt". When Kinney has Greg call a girl "hot", we don't how much sexuality Kinney is implying, if he is implying any sexuality at all. "Cute butt", is rarely used, and when it is used, I think people can move past it. Another reason I recommend it to preteens is that they, in my opinion are old enough to understand that Greg's bad behavior and ridiculously harsh treatment of others is just for laughs. Unless, you're younger than who I recommend it to, you should read it for fun because, it isn't really substantial literature. ALSO, THIS BOOK IS HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kid, 12 years old November 16, 2019

Zoo Wee Mama!

Its a nice book. there are the words "hot girls" & "cute butt" but Gregs what 11? Thats normal for an 11 year old to be geting into that sort of stuff. But not me.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylovetoread27 September 26, 2019

Great if you have thick skin

A lot of parents on here have been saying stuff like “I’m SHOCKED about how Greg called a girl HOT!” Well I’ve got news for you: the second your kid steps foot into a classroom anywhere beyond 3rd grade, every boy is perverted as hell, so it doesn’t even matter.
Teen, 15 years old Written byShowman movie13 September 3, 2019

This is good, but shows stupid role models

I love this but it show stupid role models. I think kids 10+ could read this. This is not really a kid's book. More tween kind of books. This is a caution book. I think there is mild role models(only really one is Greg has a friend). This may be funny but it shows no education at all!
Kid, 11 years old June 22, 2019

Funny with older kids style humor

Diary of a Wimpy Kid is a hilarious book with some potty humor. Greg isn’t exactly, well, a role model, and positive behavior is replaced with Greg’s mischievous and unsuitable personality. While Greg’s lack of manners and bad behavior is just for laughs, this book is not good for young kids but funny for older ones and adults.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPmckenna2424 May 7, 2019

Classic kids book is very well-made.

I think one of the reasons why Diary of a Wimpy Kid thrives is because it actually sounds like a kid wrote it, but also has enough literary elements to make it seem like a book as well. Basically, the writing style really works out for Kinney, and is the reason he managed to get all of these awards for his extraordinary work. Ever since “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” came out, it was almost immediately a hit and people wanted to try making there own versions of the new book genre, but none ever came close to the misadventures of Greg Heffley. Now, on to the book itself. I think it’s a really good book, with some flaws though. I think my biggest problem that’s not a nitpick is that Greg is kind of a narcissistic character, only really caring about himself and manipulating people such as his best friend, Rowley. But I think this is well balanced out by the natural karma he’ll get later on, which I think is the reason why we like Greg.

Content warnings: surprisingly, not really any at all. Sure, Greg manipulates his friend, but you see the consequences he gets and 5e repercussions he gets.
Kid, 11 years old January 13, 2019

Witty, Funny, Charming

Jeff Kinney's debutant book doesn't fail. With an excellent storyline of the chronicles of Gregory Heffley and his personal experiences through a cleverly-written cartoon. Parents should know that Greg isn't a perfect role model, and he isn't always the most likeable character. However, for kids who love humor, this book is great. For newcomers to the series, it is best to start here and go in order. Some things about this book: Some words like "hot" are not suitable for kindergarten or first grade children. In one scene, Greg chases kindergarteners with a worm on a stick, and the non-existence of role models, played for laughs, of course, might not be the best for young children. Children who are around 7 or 8 years old will understand this book the best, and students in the second grade as well. Overall, a hilarious book.
Teen, 14 years old Written bywordgirl23 December 14, 2018

Should be called, "Diary of a Jerk"

This series is seriously disappointing. It is sexist, racist and displays mean messages. Greg is a terrible role model, and completely abuses his friend Rowley, using him as a slave and a test subject for his pranks and ridiculous plans. He's willing to throw anyone under the bus if it gets him out of trouble, is a terrible student, and has a poor relationship with the rest of his family. And he NEVER learns his lesson. Adults and teens will understand that the author intended these books to be funny, but younger kids won't, and the behaviour Greg exhibits is not what young children should be aspiring to. Although it is appropriate for elementary school kids because of the lack of sex, swearing or drinking, despite the ages of the main characters, don't bother. This series is a waste of time.
Teen, 13 years old Written byScampsarecool September 19, 2018

Hilarious

I've read the whole serie of books, and it's really funny. It's not very educational, but it shows challenges of the everyday life.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPasopia July 31, 2018

Not as bad as parents say.

I literally do not have any idea what the parents are on, this is pretty much the best series of books ever made. I thought this would have five stars. Anyways, they're literally the only books I can read to my family and not feel searing pain. This book is full of satire, which is to me the best kind of comedy. It's kind of like a really good family sitcom portrayed in a novel portrayed in cartoons. I'd recommend it for kids of any age, but I think kids aged 8 and up will be fully able to understand the humor in these books.

Kid, 9 years old September 24, 2016

for the whole series

These books and movies are incredibly funny! Im addicted to this series.also the movies but books are better. Don't be afraid to let children 6 and up read and watch this.So excited for the new book also!

Educational Value
Kid, 11 years old June 6, 2015

Worst movie I've seen in a while.

When this movie came out i was like 7. Everyone was talking about it so decided to watch it, it was so stupid! Most of it was really gross like the part where the kid with the red hair was like "wanna see my favorite pimple? It has a hair in it!" Or something like that. The cheese that was supposedly sitting there for hundreds of years was obviously plastic, and the kids in the movie were in middle school right? So they were probably about 12-14. They looked and acted like they were at least 7! I'm 11 years old and pretty much everyone in my grade is more mature than every single student in this movie. Also, why didn't a teacher or a janitor or something throw out piece of cheese the day after someone dropped it there? Instead the irrisponsible staff decided they were going to leave it there for generations so some idiot would make up this stupid game that this entire movie was based off of! The entire reason this movie was created was because someone dropped a piece of cheese and no one was responsible enough to clean it up.

Teen, 13 years old Written byIsaac T October 16, 2014

Awful blockbuster just isn't funny.

This book is really popular with kids, but it's hard to see why. There's constant bullying and virtually nonstop potty humor. Not only is this not for kids, it will never appeal to adults either. Some of the jokes can get so bad they'd almost seem dark.

Kid, 12 years old September 4, 2014

Really!

Too Manny parents complain about the content. There's nothing reply bad though. I DOUBT your kid will eat a moldy black cheese. Really! It's a really good funny book.