Parent and Kid Reviews on

Our Review

Based on 3 parent reviews

Sort by:

Not so sure...

Talked with my daughter about this book. After reading reviews from some of the other books in this series, I became concerned that there may be some bad lessons being inadvertently taught by the author... at least I HOPE it's inadvertent. I asked my daughter, age 11, what she thought of the main character, Nikki, and if she ever read anything that Nikki did that we would not approve of. Apparently, at one point in the book, Nikki is told by her mother that no dogs are allowed in the house because they just got new carpet (or furniture, not quite sure which). Well, Nikki decided to disobey to save the puppies. ... okay, not terrible yet... However, at no point, according to my daughter, did Nikki ever confess to her disobedience, or get caught. The author completely missed a golden opportunity to explain that there may be times in life as a child or teenager when you would have a completely valid reason to disobey parent or adult, and then show how to talk to the adult about your actions and take responsibility for it. NOOOOOOO... she skips right on by that, Nikki gets away with it, never confesses, and in the end is rewarded with her very own puppy. I haven't taken the books away from my daughter, but I will be sure to talk with her more about them. For now, I told her to read it as a story about a made up person in a made up world and NOT as an example of how to behave or how the world works.

Tales From A Satisfied Aunt!

My pre-teen niece has a birthday this month, and she put this on her wishlist. My brother and sister in-law (known as "Mom" and "Dad to my niece) have never heard of this series, so they asked me to get a copy from the library and see if it was an appropriate gift. It was a very good choice. I loved that there was very little mean girl drama, and that Nikki and Brianna got a puppy at the end! My niece will be delighted when she opens her package to see thie wonderful book inside on September 30th!

Dork Diaries: Tales from a NOT-So Perfect Pet Sitter

There was a delivery box to Fuzzy Friends. Guess what was inside, cute little puppies!! They were so adorable! Brandon loves to have more critters in the store but there's no more space what is he going to do? Nikki volunteered to help but is she going to be able to take care of 7 trouble makers away from her friends from school and her family not knowing about them?! Mackenzie knows the secret about the puppies between Brandon and Nikki because she eavesdropped on their conversation! Now they have another person knowing about the "Pup Mania!" problem. Will they be able to keep it as a secret or is Mackenzie gonna get away with it and get Nikki in serious trouble? Nikki told her two BFFs Chloe and Zoey about the situation and all they did was scream of excitement but of course they did help. What are they going to do about Mackenzie knowing the secret too, is it going to be too late before the whole school knowing about the puppy problem and Nikki is going to get in big trouble? Is this true or fake about Nikki getting in trouble?