Parent Written bycatapault November 8, 2013

There is a little more to the story . . .

It's important to know that this book addresses the homosexuality of twin 8th grade boys, both of which come out to the central character in the book. Cassie is respectful and kind to the boys and accepts them for who they are. However, the book also has a third character, named West, who it is revealed isn't sure if he is gay or bi. The confusion over sexuality may be a theme too mature for your elementary age child. The book makes no mention of these themes in the summary on the back, in the descripton on the Scholastic website or on Amazon. (Thank you Common Sense Media for mentioning this here.) The book is written on a 2.6 grade level and is a graphic novel, so odds are if it's in your child's elementary school library, your younger child could end up reading this and may not understand these parts of the story. The sexuality of the boys is a sub-theme of the book and I feel that parents should be aware of this so they can make an informed decision about whether their child is ready for this issue or not.
Parent Written byErinS10 May 19, 2015

Disappointing

The sexual content is completely inappropriate for children of the age that will want to read this book.
Parent Written byajwmom May 22, 2013

Disappointed...

My 12 yr old daughter is a big fan of Smile and a bit of a reluctant reader so when she saw Drama she instantly gravitated to it based on her experience with Smile. I looked at the book and thought the graphics were great. She stopped reading it a few chapters in. She's in Drama and was interested from the aspect of someone who wants to be the star but falls short in acting/singing talent but finds her place behind the scenes. That appealed to her but once she hit the same sex crush, she was confused. It sparked a conversation about steroetypes regarding males interested in Drama and singing in musicals. My daughter elected not to continue the book because she felt a bit mislead from the synopsis and beginning of the story. Just not her cup of tea. Parents should be prepared to discuss boys having crushes on other boys, perpetuating sterotypes of males involved in Theatre , girl crushes on boys who like boys, and unkind behavior amongst friends. I give it 1 star simply because the graphics are so good. Provided you're ready to broach mature subject matter with you middle-schooler, they'll enjoy the graphics.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byAlertmom November 3, 2015

Concerning Content

The main storyline in this book is fine. The underlying storyline is very concerning. The homosexual content is not understated but rather very up front. Not appropriate for kids that you are not ready to have that conversation with.
Adult Written by100ftabove May 7, 2015

Great read, important subjects

I read this because I work in a school library where the kids basically fight for the only copies we have of this graphic novel (one English and one French translation). I thought it was a cute read, and I can see why the kids like it so much. I think the subject matter is totally fine for any kid over the age of 9, despite some people's misconceptions of the book. Kids ought to know about different sexual or romantic preferences, and to be honest, most kids have no issues with it in the story. It isn't "all about" people's sexualities like most people are making it out to seem. It's set in middle school, a time where the majority of kids are obsessed with romance and crushes and whatnot. I thought that the way the twins are presented are awesome, especially with how open and supportive Callie and the other students are. I think we need more books that talk about these things if we're going to get kids to understand that it's okay not to be heteronormative. I wish there was more stuff like this when I was younger and questioning my own sexuality.
Parent Written bymilissar March 16, 2016

Vague Summary Not Appreciated

I think the summary should be more forthcoming with the idea of homosexuality. I'm glad that I read the book before giving it to my daughter as I do not want her reading about that topic as a fourth grader.
Parent Written bymkwas May 15, 2016

Poor quality

It's a sad day when a comic strip, 2nd grade reading level book comes on the market as a "teenage novel series" And that is why America is not winning on the education front worldwide! First of all, I have to disagree with the Commonsense Org review in that it does have romantic contact between two boys, one of who is playing a girl in a school play and the boys have a kissing scene...there is also a couple making out in the dressing room of the school and another intimate contact (kissing scene) throughout. The main focus is the characters' sexuality struggle. The phrase "bi" is also listed for bi-sexual. Overall, not appropriate for elementary school age, yet because the reading level is so low on it, it's in all the schools. Compared to kids who read classic novels that are insightful and challenging, this is a horrible work in both literary sense and content.
Parent of a 5, 11, and 13 year old Written byNellup September 2, 2016

Sensitively handled, complex characters

This is a beautiful book about a girl who finds her place not on the stage but in the community of backstage crew. Typically middle grade, it's all about having crushes on the wrong people and negotiating the complex feels that spring up in the spaces between people who are still working out who they are. Gay characters make this more vivid and realistic, reflecting real experiences.
Adult Written byMackenzie P. September 8, 2016