All parent member reviews for Eclipse: The Twilight Saga, Book 3

Adult Written byINMH March 24, 2012

This Book Disgusts Me. Seriously.

Parents, seriously talk to your kid when they read this book. Edward and Bella do NOT have a healthy relationship: He bribes his sister to hold Bella hostage for a night, and dismantles part of her car engine so that she can't go visting Jacob. At one point, he even stalks her in his car as she's driving to a friend's house in a scene that would not be out of place in a Lifetime movie about a crazy ex-husband tormenting his wife. And also, in this book, Jacob becomes just as bad as Edward- He LITERALLY forces physical contact on Bella and breaks her wrist in the process. I don't even see how this book is supposed to be romantic: It's disturbing. The most troublesome thing about this book is that all of this behavior is normalized. No one ever really, SERIOUSLY calls Edward or Jacob out on their behavior (and I'm reasonably certain that the word "abusive" is never used), and they're the MAIN MALE LEADS. They ARE the role models, and their behavior is barely addressed. Make sure your kids understand that Edward and Bella's (as well as Jacob and Bella's) relationship is NOT something they'll want in real life. If they're mature enough to see it for what it really is, then by all means, let them have a go at it.
Parent of a 2 year old Written bycarebear5674 February 9, 2011
While I began reading the whole series, this is the one that stuck out to me the most because Bella began to put on the pressure to add sex to the relationship. While really young readers will not understand it, younger teens who are just starting to date may be confused about the message that Bella's actions are sending.
Educator Written byEnglish teacher April 18, 2009

Worst of the four, but still fun

What parents need to know is this book is heavy on themes of sacrifice and "love". This is a problem because Meyer never, in all 4 books, distinguishes between love and infatuation and, in fact, would have us believe until the very last book that there is no difference. Her "true love" is never, ever shown to have anything in common with her. They do not share any of the same hobbies or interests. It is only about the excitement of breathing on each other, while in contrast she does have another relationship which we see actually makes her a better person, and allows her to share with someone else. The Romeo and Juliet comparison Meyer's draws doesn't work, and that's a problem too. Romeo and Juliet contained a suicide tragedy which stemmed from a totally different set of societal expectations, feuds, and so much more. It doesn't belong here, and it may give immature readers the wrong impression of sacrifice, and when it may be appropriate. I don't fault her character, Bella, for wanting to protect those for whom she cares. Harry Potter did that a lot, and nobody seemed to fault him for taking risks to save his friends, but Bella speaks also of death in disturbing ways. I would want to talk to my kids about that, as well as my adult perspective on "true love" and infatuation.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byblackrosab April 7, 2011

it is for tweens

i love it especialy jacob :) it is for tweeeeeens !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Educator Written bykenlynnfaithsarah April 9, 2008

Better Than Book 2

For those who loved Twilight and then made it though New Moon a bit disappointed, not to worry. Edward is back in the book the whole time. Some complain that Bella is helpless. Doesn't bother me. Heck, in most vampire books the woman is helpless anyway. I did like Edward's strong morals and him sticking to his beliefs about what Bella should do. If you haven't read Twilight and New Moon, you really have to go back and read those for this book to make any sense.
Adult Written bysumsmom April 9, 2008

Page-turner with romance, more suitable to kids over 15

I read the entire trilogy after my daughter was staying up late with her nose buried in one after the other. I wished I had known about this website first! There is a lot of kissing, which is fine, but there are a few other things that raised my eyebrows a bit. First, Bella wants to have sex with her vampire boyfriend. He keeps her at bay, but not because he is a proper gentleman. It is because he is afraid he might get so excited he may accidentally kill her. Also, Bella does quite a bit of sneaking around. Her poor dad is clueless to her secretive exploits. She lets her boyfriend sleepover, and spends a few nights at his house, sleeping in a bed with him. I loved the romance, even thought it was a bit corny sometimes. For teens, though, I can see how addicting this series would be. I recommend moms read the books, too, and talk about them with their teenage daughters.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byaebmck October 21, 2010

can be a learning tool

This book, as with the others in the Twilight series, is in the details and how you portray it. Yes, Bella is a bit obsessed and rebellious, but on the positive side, Edward is very respectful and puts Bella's needs before his own. I finally realized what can be attractive about romances is that the man is actually a gentleman and will do anything for the woman, even if that means ignoring his own desires. No, we don't want boys to ignore themselves for an obsession either, but he is good about not rushing in. Also, each book in the series is based on a classic - Twilight is Pride and Prejudice, New Moon is Romeo and Juliet and Eclipse is Wuthering Heights. If you can get your kids to read those books with the series they can do a lot of comparing and contrasting and all around learning.
Adult Written byjma315315 April 9, 2008
Parent of a 9 and 10 year old Written byBonna May 22, 2012

Twilight Saga: Eclipse

The third book in the Twilight Series has violence and sexual content.
Educator and Parent Written bysorrynotnow February 24, 2012

Why...

I think everyone is too picky about whats in movies and books!
Educator and Parent of a 9, 12, 14, and 22 year old Written bySunniemom March 21, 2011

No plot or character development

This book should only be about 20 pages long, because the entire plot is 1) Bella loves Edward 2) Bella loves Jacob, but not THAT way. Passion, souls, melodrama, and Victoria rifling through Bella's underwear drawer. An anti-climactic fight scene about as exciting as watching grass grow. Bella's obsession with Edward is unhealthy, and the love triangle is juvenile. Edward's behavior is creepy. It isn't cute or romantic for a guy to pay his 'sister' to kidnap his girlfriend in order to control where she goes and with whom she speaks. I also think there are serious moral implications to teenage boys dating toddlers. But maybe that's just me. Too many trees have given their lives to publish this book already. Somebody call an editor- they could reduce Eclipse to one chapter that could be added to the end of New Moon.
Adult Written byAslynima September 6, 2010

Great book for kids of most ages.

The downside to this book is Bella is playing with two boys hearts, which can help you to talk to your child about relationships. However, Bella does want to have sex, and Edward refuses. This is a positive message to kids to wait to have sex until marriage. There is a violent scene at the end, a big fight, however I don't find it too graphic for kids 12+ maybe younger if you have been open with your kids about violence. The Cullen family is as great as ever in the role model field. Overall, I would recommend this saga to 10-12+
Parent of a 11 year old Written byitandewil mendoza July 3, 2010

twilight eclipse

love it
Parent Written byfrod2004@bellso... June 27, 2010
Though at times entertaining, and this is the best book in the series, the whole Twighlight Saga is not good quality literature.
Adult Written bysouthparkfan14 May 23, 2010

.....

read in in only 6 days!!! it had in amazing story
Parent of a 17 year old Written bySamanthalovesyou March 20, 2010
I love this series of book if you are a book reader then you will love this. It is a good page turner and you wont want to stop reading it.
Parent of a 2, 4, and 9 year old Written byvegechik March 16, 2010
Adult Written bykatiekat37 January 21, 2010

Awesome book!

Amazing book! I recommend it to any GIRL who likes a mix of action and romance. A lot of people think that the Twilight books are over tweens' heads but the only one I thought was a little iffy was Breaking Dawn. I recommend it! While reading it I couldn't put it down!
Adult Written byleanadvs January 14, 2010
hello wat girl wouldnt love being faought over 2 really hot guys i just get mad at bella becaseu jacob is way hotter hello tall buff tan abs could love get any better
Adult Written bymissfinnan January 4, 2010

I LOVE ECLIPSE

I love this book!!! It is so interesting, and I got so into it, I couldn't put it down!