Parent reviews for Eldest: The Inheritance Cycle, Book 2

The epic saga continues -- and improves.

Parent of a 6 and 9-year-old Written byA S April 4, 2017

Content more appropriate for an older crowd

Possible mild spoiler:

I'm surprised there's nothing about the elves' festival in the "Parents Need to Know..." section. I was wavering over whether to let my son read this; the Bacchanalia feeling and the naked dancing girls decided me, along with the magic getting extra creepy in that scene. ("...the creature was... a conscious being bound and sustained by magic." The creature in question being a tattoo on the two naked girls' bodies.)

Parent of a 12-year-old Written bya_ulziikhuu March 14, 2010

Perfect for tweens and teens and adults intreseted

I love this book! There is just the concern about sex where it mentions that Katrina, Roran's fiance, slips inside his bedroom and remains there for the night. And it's not mentioned in the least bit, which is disturbing.

Parent Written byJoe The August 5, 2013

Know your child

The language is mild; only occasional curses are used (created by the author) what your child hears at school is a lot worse (even at age 8). A few references to intercourse are made (a couple climbs into bed naked, a character pursues another character, etc.) There is violence on a small scale (less than 20 deaths, until the end where there is mass slaughter) and some references to the eating of humans. Some children will not enjoy the politics within the book, as they do tend to be rather... well political in nature. Some references are made to religious beliefs. Overall if your child is mature they will enjoy the book; if they enjoy reading the front page of the news they will most defiantly enjoy the descriptions of politics and negotiations. Basically know your child, they may enjoy the book or they may hate it, if they hate it don't push them. If your child is immature i would not recommend this book; otherwise it is a great book for them.

Parent Written byChoose Movement February 20, 2013

Eldest book 2 in the Inheritance cycle

An epic tale.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written bysweetiemarch July 8, 2010
I and of course my daughter read this book and yet again (like Eragon) really liked it! It is more bloody and seeing the side effects killing has on Roran can be pretty disturbing if you are younger than 10. All in all it is a great book with a great ending that is worth all 600 something pages, but make sure that you have Brisingr after you finish cause it does leave you hanging! If you liked Eragon you will LOVE Eldest! Oh and for the sexual material, you just have to be mature about it because most of it can be harmless unless if you think the worse! :D
Adult Written byPontificater January 4, 2010

Polytheism and Atheism

Besides the frequent depiction of violence, one thing to be concerned about in the Inheritance Cycle (particularly book 2) is the focus on polytheism and atheism in the characters (Dwarves and Elves) that the main character spends time with.

Adult Written byeragon eldest empire April 9, 2008
Adult Written byYrael April 9, 2008
Adult Written bytlilly April 9, 2008
Adult Written bylivingbooklover April 9, 2008

Cannot give full endorsement for impressionable youth

I was disturbed by the nature of the violence. Eragon's brother goes around smashing skulls with a blacksmith's hammer. A little too gruesome for me. He is bothered by it at first, but eventually seems to become jaded to his own behavior and kills easily.

Some of the other violent episodes were described a little too graphically for me.

A master elf, who is held up as someone to be looked up to, argues for atheism, giving the impression that only the weak believe in God. This seems to be the point of view of the author.

There is partying akin to pagan orgies and Eragon is often ruled by his desire for a woman. Not what I would want to see in a hero/role model.