Kid reviews for Eldest: The Inheritance Cycle, Book 2

The epic saga continues -- and improves.

Kid, 11 years old February 14, 2012

The next amazing installment.

I am an absolute Inheritance Cycle fan and read this during third grade, and the politics and violence weren't much of a bother, though, know your child. Paolini never fails to amaze me; this new, captivating installment features many of Roran's trials, Eragon's training, and his entrance to adulthood. It's endearing to see the foolish boy and dragon we have come to love grow up and gain power. Many new, lovable, thought-provoking, and admirable characters are introduced, such as Nasuada and Orik. Romances get deeper. :) The plot remains as exciting as ever, never ceasing to captivate and fully involve a reader. A great, authentic literary art. Violence may or may not affect your child, (not as violent as the first book)depending on his/her maturity level. There is a scene where Roran and Katrina, not even twenty, climb unclothed into bed and kiss. Just as things are obviously about to go farther, Paolini switches scene. Intercourse is implied as the two wake up naked the next morning, and later on, (spoiler) Katrina becomes pregnant. Some mild drinking.

Educational Value
Teen, 17 years old Written byElvesandHobbits May 5, 2021

Loved It!!

I really enjoyed this book! Although, I did find some chapters to be a bit boring, compared to some of the other characters POVs.

After reading some of the other reviews, I was a bit worried. But once I read those scenes, I found it to be fine.
SPOILERS AHEAD!
1) The scene between Katrina and Roran:
Roran goes upstairs, disrobes, and goes to bed. Not long afterwards, someone sneaks into his room, his fiancé enters. Roran feels hair brush his face, as well a lips like rose petals. The scene then ends.
(This scene takes place in chapter 23: 'His Enemy's Face')

2) The dancing elf women:
Two elf women, who are described as very beautiful before unclasping their capes during the Blood Oath (The Blood Oath is an elf ceremony, this is where the nudity starts and stops in the book).
Once their robes fall to the ground, it's noted that they wear no undergarments, their bodies are covered in a dragon tattoo. It's described that the tattoo wraps around ankles, legs, thighs, torso, back, and chest. Body parts are not described!! Any other description that follows is about the dragon only and it doesn't mention the women's bodies, expect: glistening (sweaty) skin, stamping feet, and spinning.
(This scene takes place at the end of chapter 48: 'The Gift of Dragons'
Kid, 9 years old April 9, 2017
Pretty good, actually. Not as good as Eragon, but still good. You learn a lot about Eragon's world and its magic,but the twist at the end was a little obvious. All the spells and Eragon's rider training was so cool! A good long read, easy to read again, exciting, but there wasn't enough twists. The dragon battle at the end was so mind-absorbent I was afraid to put it down. I literally took it to the bathroom with me, brushed my teeth reading it, ate reading it, and did school reading it! Yep, this definetelt improves upon the first.

Teen, 13 years old Written byManternach5 July 11, 2016

best ever book

This is just as good as eragon but has a bit more violence.

Teen, 13 years old Written byverbivore October 9, 2014

scary

- NOT FOR KIDS- a man gets killed and eaten by evil things.

Written byAnonymous May 1, 2013

Inspirational

This book is a great story. I think there is tons of violence but it is still good for those 12 years old or older. This story is amazing because I am an author myself and I am homeschooled just like Christopher Paolini. Paolini is kind of an inspiration to me and my books.

Teen, 14 years old Written bykangaroogi6 August 19, 2012

Good For Older Readers

Eldest is a great book with an amazing twist that will make your eyes bug out in shock. It is very long, but don't skip anything because you could miss out on important details. I would definitely suggest this book to teenagers who like fantasy (and who have read the first one--that's important!). However, I would not reccommend it to anyone under 12 because of the violence. There is a lot of war and killing. The other thing that I find not-so-good is that the elves, who are described as the most advanced and intelligent race, promote atheism and try to explain why atheism makes sense. But I was able to ignore that portion and focus on the main story, which is very interesting and good! Oh, and the drinking, drugs, and smoking part I said because there is a little bit of drinking and getting drunk, but it's nothing too bad and it's not encouraged. I said positive role models because Eragon, Saphira, Roran, and several other characters are admirable in their personality and their desire for justice.

Teen, 16 years old Written bywise green bean February 16, 2012

Best of the Series, and Generally Kid-Friendly

Best of the series by a good margin. Keep in mind, Paolini is a very young writer. The main draw is the story(because it's Star Wars). Some the writing is excellent stuff, and some, not so much. On to the issues people have.The political aspects are very mild and not in the least bit difficult to follow, even for a fairly young kid. Alcohol usage is very mild; as I recall, someone got drunk when they were grieving and there are some incidents of minor social drinking. If you feel uncomfortable with that, just toss in a mention that drinking isn't a healthy way to respond to problems. Don't know what people are talking about in terms of sexuality. If your kids know that mommy and daddy sleep in the same room together, they won't be getting any revelations. The main character courts a girl and fails, another girl hits on him and also fails. Some Roran/Katrina kissing. Even then, very mild, not in the least bit explicit. Violence is the only conceivable issue I can see bothering a kid. Slightly graphic description of some injuries, and a pretty good amount of somewhat detailed killing. And the idea that the polytheism/atheism aspects are a problem is just ridiculous. Different cultures have different belief systems, it's a good lesson on diversity and your kids have to learn at some point. Overall, I'd say read it. Not great literature, but the story is good and the characters are usually top notch. Special props for Nasuada, Angela, and Roran being awesome. Some of the Eragon segments drag, but usually it's good stuff.

Teen, 14 years old Written byRogue, barn owl October 26, 2011

Rogue's Review

This is a gripping read. With Ronan's (Eragon's cousin) life in danger, he and his village have to flee their village and seek sanctuary with the Vardan, the only force fithing the tyrnt Galbortorix. Meanwhile Eragonmust contiune his training in Du Wardenvale, the home of the Elves, and they hold a Three Legged Sercet.

Teen, 13 years old Written byD.I.S. October 24, 2011

Good but not amazing.

The book was interesting, though a bit long. The writer obviously had a lot of "inspiration". Roran's story almost mirrors the story of Moses in Exodus, and the books in general are basically a combination of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, though it is not better than either one of them. The overall plot was kind of slow but intriguing enough to keep your attention. Eragon, however, is a terrible role model. He's irrational and acts on impulse, with many characteristics that aren't very heroic, such as his drinking problem. I would recommend this book for kids 13 and over.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMovieReviewGuy August 22, 2011

SPOILERS!! Good for 12+

There is, like Eragon, some violence, however, it isn't that bad. Also, in one part, Roran, only about 17 years old, is lying naked in his bed. It mentions his girlfriend coming in and lying down with him, and her hair brushing his chest, and the part ends. They wake up and they both are naked (implying sex) though some readers will entirely miss this. However, it does become apparent in the next book when she is pregnant. There is mention of cursing, and b*stard is used a few times, but that is it. Also, there is a moderate amount of drinking, and various characters (even the dragon Saphira) do become drunk from excess drinking. There is also some mention of people smoking pipes. Great book; even better than the first! Good for 12+

Teen, 13 years old Written byMoeluver February 17, 2011

loved it!

Good, a little to many politics, tho there r even more in the third... kinda violent but if u can't handel that its kinds sad. I finished it in a day!

Kid, 12 years old January 8, 2011

eh

@ Heq073198 Jeez man chill out. Its all opinion, and guess what, you think ur all smarty everything now, well ur not. So chill out and take ur finger off caps lock. And you said I need the correct punctuation, well this is the internet, not school. So why even use it? Stop hating and chill. And let's stop arguing cause I agree with your new review.

Kid, 12 years old January 6, 2011

PEOPLE GET SMART THIS BOOK IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

This book is not overlong! What do you want? Diary of a Wimpy Kid, because that's just about as short as it gets (AND AS STUPID)! And you don't know what monosyllabic, belligerent, and seclusion mean? C'mon, y'all, remember your Greek morphemes. I find it extremely annoying when people say some scenes in books are unnecessary. I don't think the author would put them in for no reason. Yeah, some of it is hard to remember, but the synopsis at the beginning helps. If you want NECESSARY read the World Encyclopedia. BUT I do think Paolini over-embellishes his books a bit. Yeah, he has good descriptions, and all, but almost unrealistic descriptions, even for a fantasy novel. All fiction books are unnecessary to read. WE CHOOSE TO READ THEM. If you hate it, why do you read the entire series? Eragon offers Arya all of "his love" and she cruelly rejects him. Yes, polytheism and atheism. I think Paolini wants to show that Eragon is terrified by the situation he is in, and he wants to believe in something bigger than himself so he feels safer. I do wonder if Paolini is religious or not, it's hard to tell. Violence is definitely a major element in The Inheritance Cycle and definitely is something parents should look into. @SithLordBeast I don't know why we used to argue if we agree with each other... But anyway, I'm glad there's no more fighting.

Teen, 13 years old Written byZara360 December 31, 2010

Okay for mature kids, Great for teens to adults

Paolini has done it again give has given us a great book!!! There are epic Battles, saying farewell to a cuple main characters, saying hello to some new ones and cliff-hangers!!! but most of all Eragon is one step closer to defeating Galbatorix. There is, one part how ever the one part I didn't like. Ronan and Katrina (his fiancé) get a little to "social" (if it can be called that) which really didn't need to be put in there. When all is said and done It's a great book and part two of the epic saga!

Teen, 14 years old Written bynoveleater December 12, 2010
The thing about this book is- well, it's kind of hard to say if I liked it or not. It was almost like a copy- cat of all of the great, original fantasies that I can never look at the same way ever again. (These includes The Lord of the Rings, Lord of the Flies, The Chronicles of Narnia, Ender's Game, His Dark Materials, The Hobbit, the list is a lot longer then this, these are just a few of them, don't get mad at me if I've missed any that you've loved, I know, there are MANY!) Any way, Paolini's book almost feels like he tries too hard to write a fantasy for young adults. These books suffer from many things, too many pages, to much to remember from past books, over- long descripctions, and to many LONG- LONG- LONG words like: monosyllabic page 249, seclusion page 71, belligerent page 615, who knows what any of these words? Not me! (Thank gosh for Websters'!) LOL (no grandma, not lots of love, laugh out loud) The book dragged on for too long! I mean the huge, and I mean HUGE battle really made the book worth reading. I think that Roran is a very good role model, yes he does not ask permission to marry Katrina, but who would be able to pluck enough courage to ask him?!?! He doesn't try to be cool, he tries to be as human as possible. Some of the violence can be laughable (espically looking at wounds like Roran, if you were bit by a Ra'zac, you wold not have a scrape, you're arm wouldn't even be there! The plot fallows Eragon training in Ellesmere with the elves. The book does have a few twist, one being so large I slammed the book down onto the floor with surprise! I don't know if this book was good enough for me to want to read the next one, only because I'm not ready to spend months slaving over one book (more like a volume) and a dictionary! Read and enjoy!

Kid, 12 years old November 15, 2010

Can't get enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This book starts Paoilini's trademark different point of view style of writing, telling us of Roran's adventures in Carvahall. Eragon's training with Oromis is extremely interesting, tying up loose ends of different types of magic and Galbatorix's past from book one. Overall, FANTASTIC!
Kid, 9 years old September 22, 2010

Needed to be shorter, but still very fun

This book describes Eragon's training and a major battle. The training part was fun, because I liked seeing Eragon learn new spells. The battle also was exciting. However, the story would have been better if it had been shortened, because there was a bunch of parts that got bogged down in uninteresting dialog. I found the first book more enjoyable, but this one was fun, too.

Teen, 15 years old Written byLinkin Park vs.... June 27, 2010

Even better

Even better than the first but there might be too graphic of violence and drinking than smaller children should read
Kid, 10 years old June 15, 2010

Anyone who liked the first will LOVE the second!

I LOVED IT!