Kid reviews for Eldest: The Inheritance Cycle, Book 2

Eldest: The Inheritance Cycle, Book 2 Poster Image

Violent, and a little weird

Now, the violence in this book is pretty intense. Crushing heads, eating humans and licking their bones clean, spear-stabs, and overall a lot of gore. There's an immodest scene, and some weird stuff. And the elves, who are the wisest and most powerful in the land, vouch very strongly against gods, being strict atheists. Since they're all wise and stuff, it seems that Pauline is saying that there is no God, and probably working his beliefs into his book, which I find annoying. Overall, I think one should just skip this book and find another one.

Loved It!!

I really enjoyed this book! Although, I did find some chapters to be a bit boring, compared to some of the other characters POVs. After reading some of the other reviews, I was a bit worried. But once I read those scenes, I found it to be fine. SPOILERS AHEAD! 1) The scene between Katrina and Roran: Roran goes upstairs, disrobes, and goes to bed. Not long afterwards, someone sneaks into his room, his fiancé enters. Roran feels hair brush his face, as well a lips like rose petals. The scene then ends. (This scene takes place in chapter 23: 'His Enemy's Face') 2) The dancing elf women: Two elf women, who are described as very beautiful before unclasping their capes during the Blood Oath (The Blood Oath is an elf ceremony, this is where the nudity starts and stops in the book). Once their robes fall to the ground, it's noted that they wear no undergarments, their bodies are covered in a dragon tattoo. It's described that the tattoo wraps around ankles, legs, thighs, torso, back, and chest. Body parts are not described!! Any other description that follows is about the dragon only and it doesn't mention the women's bodies, expect: glistening (sweaty) skin, stamping feet, and spinning. (This scene takes place at the end of chapter 48: 'The Gift of Dragons'
Pretty good, actually. Not as good as Eragon, but still good. You learn a lot about Eragon's world and its magic,but the twist at the end was a little obvious. All the spells and Eragon's rider training was so cool! A good long read, easy to read again, exciting, but there wasn't enough twists. The dragon battle at the end was so mind-absorbent I was afraid to put it down. I literally took it to the bathroom with me, brushed my teeth reading it, ate reading it, and did school reading it! Yep, this definetelt improves upon the first.

best ever book

This is just as good as eragon but has a bit more violence.

scary

- NOT FOR KIDS- a man gets killed and eaten by evil things.

Inspirational

This book is a great story. I think there is tons of violence but it is still good for those 12 years old or older. This story is amazing because I am an author myself and I am homeschooled just like Christopher Paolini. Paolini is kind of an inspiration to me and my books.

Good For Older Readers

Eldest is a great book with an amazing twist that will make your eyes bug out in shock. It is very long, but don't skip anything because you could miss out on important details. I would definitely suggest this book to teenagers who like fantasy (and who have read the first one--that's important!). However, I would not reccommend it to anyone under 12 because of the violence. There is a lot of war and killing. The other thing that I find not-so-good is that the elves, who are described as the most advanced and intelligent race, promote atheism and try to explain why atheism makes sense. But I was able to ignore that portion and focus on the main story, which is very interesting and good! Oh, and the drinking, drugs, and smoking part I said because there is a little bit of drinking and getting drunk, but it's nothing too bad and it's not encouraged. I said positive role models because Eragon, Saphira, Roran, and several other characters are admirable in their personality and their desire for justice.

Best of the Series, and Generally Kid-Friendly

Best of the series by a good margin. Keep in mind, Paolini is a very young writer. The main draw is the story(because it's Star Wars). Some the writing is excellent stuff, and some, not so much. On to the issues people have.The political aspects are very mild and not in the least bit difficult to follow, even for a fairly young kid. Alcohol usage is very mild; as I recall, someone got drunk when they were grieving and there are some incidents of minor social drinking. If you feel uncomfortable with that, just toss in a mention that drinking isn't a healthy way to respond to problems. Don't know what people are talking about in terms of sexuality. If your kids know that mommy and daddy sleep in the same room together, they won't be getting any revelations. The main character courts a girl and fails, another girl hits on him and also fails. Some Roran/Katrina kissing. Even then, very mild, not in the least bit explicit. Violence is the only conceivable issue I can see bothering a kid. Slightly graphic description of some injuries, and a pretty good amount of somewhat detailed killing. And the idea that the polytheism/atheism aspects are a problem is just ridiculous. Different cultures have different belief systems, it's a good lesson on diversity and your kids have to learn at some point. Overall, I'd say read it. Not great literature, but the story is good and the characters are usually top notch. Special props for Nasuada, Angela, and Roran being awesome. Some of the Eragon segments drag, but usually it's good stuff.

The next amazing installment.

I am an absolute Inheritance Cycle fan and read this during third grade, and the politics and violence weren't much of a bother, though, know your child. Paolini never fails to amaze me; this new, captivating installment features many of Roran's trials, Eragon's training, and his entrance to adulthood. It's endearing to see the foolish boy and dragon we have come to love grow up and gain power. Many new, lovable, thought-provoking, and admirable characters are introduced, such as Nasuada and Orik. Romances get deeper. :) The plot remains as exciting as ever, never ceasing to captivate and fully involve a reader. A great, authentic literary art. Violence may or may not affect your child, (not as violent as the first book)depending on his/her maturity level. There is a scene where Roran and Katrina, not even twenty, climb unclothed into bed and kiss. Just as things are obviously about to go farther, Paolini switches scene. Intercourse is implied as the two wake up naked the next morning, and later on, (spoiler) Katrina becomes pregnant. Some mild drinking.

Rogue's Review

This is a gripping read. With Ronan's (Eragon's cousin) life in danger, he and his village have to flee their village and seek sanctuary with the Vardan, the only force fithing the tyrnt Galbortorix. Meanwhile Eragonmust contiune his training in Du Wardenvale, the home of the Elves, and they hold a Three Legged Sercet.