Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Eleanor & Park

Intense '80s romance is a fabulous pick for mature teens.

Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byshanghaiang April 11, 2013

A Good Read for Older Teens and Adults

This is a very good read, but be aware there is a lot of heavy stuff within the pages. I gave it to my (almost) 14-year-old, based on the Common Sense Media age recommendation. But after reading it myself, I think I would have waited a year or two before recommending it to her. The language alone stopped me short. There are F bombs throughout the book and other terms that I didn't enjoy defining for my daughter. There are many lessons that teens can learn from this book, but they need to be mature enough to absorb those lessons without the negative impact of the story overwhelming them. I would recommend this to my adult friends as it is well-written and poignant.

Adult Written byTonyBMG June 6, 2014

This book is full of the F word

This book was boring, boring, boring, then slightly better, boring, boring, something happened, then stopped. No ending. Could have been much better. Major fail. In addition, this book is marketed as a YA book at Target and Walmart. This book is full of the F word. Why are movies rated, and books get a free pass? I don’t think that books should be rated, but before they get marketed to kids at major retailers, they should be vetted.

Adult Written bytobier January 19, 2015

My Favorite

Killed me inside, in a good way. Glad to see the representation of 1) minority characters 2) characters with horrible home lives. Most other YA makes you think everyone is a upper middle class white kid from a happy family.
Adult Written byJiemba December 14, 2015
Wow. If it hadn't been for the disturbing language and inappropriately intense intimate scenes this would have been one of the most tear-jerkingly adorable stories ever. The fact that Eleanor and Park are so radically different yet utterly the same adds a quirky twist that readers will LOVE and relate to. It is so unfortunate that I cannot honestly recommend this potentially beautiful book to...well, anyone. And especially not children or even teens.

Adult Written bycomiquet October 28, 2014

It is tear-jerking!!!!

I literally burst out into tears at the last few chapters. Highly recommended for teenagers.

Adult Written bydla0929 April 8, 2015
Adult Written byKat E. October 29, 2016

Amazing novel, maybe not for kids?

This could be one the greatest teen novels ever written. Honestly. (And I studied English in college) It's raw, pure and addicting. The age recommendation is 14-17. As for language and material, let's be realistic, that age group is highly exposed to this already. I highly doubt it will be anything they haven't heard, read, seen, said, or done before. The main theme of this book is first love which I feel can only be appreciated by someone 17+. Before you decide to put this book on a shelf for your 14 year old, there are some great messages and potential conversation starters. Bullying, domestic abuse and friendship values can be discussed in great detail with teens. This book seems to have the "peer relation" theme where you love it so much you find other people to read it so you can discuss it. If used in a positive light, this book could be life changing. It's nothing a young teen can't handle, it may not be something they fully understand yet.

Adult Written byAbby S. April 13, 2017
This is probably the best book I have ever read. I connected so well with both characters and found myself in their shoes feeling what they were feeling. I found myself so attached to this book that I cried while reading the ending, and I only cried reading one other book. This book is so well written that I couldn't put it down, all I wanted to do was keep reading. I have never fell in love with a book like I did with this one. I would suggest this book to anyone it is just an amazing read, and you won't be disappointed.
Adult Written byMridul H. May 21, 2017

It shows how to respect your relationship

Both Eleanor and Park fell in a relationship, though Eleanor was not that smart and Park was not a white guy. They found out they have their interests in common, and a friendship grew between them which literally turned into love later. It shows how you need to know each other before falling for a intense relationship. They did how teens keep secrets from there parents and revealed how parents can come closer just by understanding their feelings. It shows how to have a happy family. You can also learn from the dedication of Park which literally gave Eleanor a better life.

Adult Written bymary j. April 18, 2018
Adult Written by901291 March 28, 2019

Favorite book ever

I think it should be 13+, as long as they're mature enough to handle the cussing and troubling home that eleanor lives in. And the makeout sesh's. It teaches kids about situations that happen in real life and can give them a real perspective of what it's like to live in a crummy home with an abusive stepdad. I think it's good to have your kid read this so they're perspective of reality widens and matures.

Parent of a 14 year old Written byserena66 March 21, 2019

An amazing read!

This was an amazing book. The content is a little mature so if you’re not okay with that, I wouldn’t recommend it. It was a heart breaking love story that I would totally recommend to anyone who love young adult romance novels. The characters are amazing and funny and realistic and the story is great too.

Adult Written byAzraa.G September 11, 2018

Just wonderful

This book was amazing Everything about the way the author described it to the way the characters stole my heart was just incredible. Although this book is for older readers

Adult Written byHM Hues October 13, 2018

Eleanor and Park Review

This book as about an unlikely 80's romance that sparks very subtly but in the sweetest way. Eleanor is described as a chubby, red-headed girl whose fashion style is weird and she is judged for her awkward appearance--even Park tries to ignore her as she attracts negative attention. Park, an Asian-American, slowly falls in love with her mysteries and quarks as he let's her borrow his comic books. This book is such a good example of loving someone first and foremost because of their personality and the similarities there are. It's cute teen romance, but realistic when it comes to pressures that may be at home.