All parent member reviews for Eleanor & Park

Parent of a 10 and 13 year old Written byshanghaiang April 11, 2013

A Good Read for Older Teens and Adults

This is a very good read, but be aware there is a lot of heavy stuff within the pages. I gave it to my (almost) 14-year-old, based on the Common Sense Media age recommendation. But after reading it myself, I think I would have waited a year or two before recommending it to her. The language alone stopped me short. There are F bombs throughout the book and other terms that I didn't enjoy defining for my daughter. There are many lessons that teens can learn from this book, but they need to be mature enough to absorb those lessons without the negative impact of the story overwhelming them. I would recommend this to my adult friends as it is well-written and poignant.
Parent Written byTonyBMG June 6, 2014

This book is full of the F word

This book was boring, boring, boring, then slightly better, boring, boring, something happened, then stopped. No ending. Could have been much better. Major fail. In addition, this book is marketed as a YA book at Target and Walmart. This book is full of the F word. Why are movies rated, and books get a free pass? I don’t think that books should be rated, but before they get marketed to kids at major retailers, they should be vetted.
Adult Written bytobier January 19, 2015

My Favorite

Killed me inside, in a good way. Glad to see the representation of 1) minority characters 2) characters with horrible home lives. Most other YA makes you think everyone is a upper middle class white kid from a happy family.