All parent member reviews for Ella Enchanted

Parent of a 12 year old Written bylittle mommy August 18, 2009

What a fantastic book! A must-read for parents and children over the age of 10

What a wonderful book! Written again by the fame-struck Gail Carson Levine. My kids both loved it and they are 8 and 11. I think it was a little too violent for my 8 year old, but she liked it anyway! She's a toughie and was trembling at the violent parts, so I'd say this book is better for 9 or 10 year olds...
Parent of a 7 year old Written bysarahsweet January 22, 2011

Ella Enchanted is by far one of my favorite action adventure stories. Ella, the main character is a smart, vivacious, intelligent young girl who uses good sense and a touch of spunk to get through tough real life scenarios such as the loss of a mother, the jealousy and dysfunction of a step family, and the confusion that comes from having a selfish father. All of these real life things that are difficult to walk through are set in a beautiful scenery of imagination, where Ella battles ogres, falls in love with a prince, and dances in glass slippers. Just writing about it makes me want to read it again. It has been ten years now since I first read this book, and I still hold it in high esteem
Parent of a 12 year old Written byTsion April 9, 2008

Two thumbs way, way up for this highly imaginitive and enchanting tale!

Ella Enchanted is a prime example of a book that is enchanting for all, young and old, male and female. There's really nothing to be concerned about it this one, Ella is misstreated by her step-family and is captured by ogres, and both topics may prove frightening for wee ones. Fun, fun, fun! Author Gail Carson Levine has scored a sparkling home-run. Highly reccommended. It would be fun to read aloud too!
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 August 31, 2012

ella enchanted

Families can talk about fairy tales. How is Ella different from Cinderella? What kind of lessons did you learn from the story of Cinderella? What do you learn from this reinvention of the story?
Adult Written byJacieDaize October 18, 2011

Love It!

I loved this book! How great it is to have freedom to choose to be obedient. I love the twist of the fairy tale.
Adult Written byksey August 30, 2009

Such a powerful message to little girls. Save yourself!
Parent of a 4 and 10 year old Written bylexijacksmom August 17, 2009

Adult Written bylawyer21gurl April 9, 2008

I WAS ENCHANTED BY THIS BOOK

This book is the best!!!! I'm doing a book report for it, and I stumbled upon this page. A more modern version of Cinderella with lots of new twists and surprises, this book is about a girl named Ella who at birth was given the "gift" of obedience. Her mother dies and Ella is sent to a finishing school. Hattie and Olive, the girls Ella was with on the journey, make her life miserable. Hattie finds out that Ella is obedient and uses it. At finishing school, Ella's only solace is in her best friend, Areida. Hattie doesn't like the friendship and orders Ella to end her friendship. Ella is devastated and leaves school in order to avert the order. She is determined to find the fairy who gave her the gift of obedience so she can take it away. She is attacked by ogres on her way to a giant's farm, where the fairy is. Her father also happens to be there. She is saved by the Prince Char. When she gets to the giant's farm, she meets the fairy but she does not take the gift back. She goes home with her father who tries to force her to remarry in order to regain their fortune. It doesn't work out, so her father marries Dame Olga, the father of Hattie and Olive. As soon as her father goes away, Dame Olga turns ncElla into a servant. Ella is very unhappy, but she and Char have been writing letters to each other. She falls in love with Char, but doesn't know how he feels about her. One day she gets a letter from Char saying that he loves her and wants her to marry him. Ella wants to, but she realizes that if she marries Char someone would figure out that she is obedient and use it to harm Char. She writes a letter to Char pretending to be Hattie that says Ella is a flirt who was decieving him all along. Ella's heart is broken, and she desperately wants to see Char again. Her chance comes when a ball is being held to welcome Char back home. She decides to go, but she is masked and won't let Char see her face. She pretends to be someone named Lela. Char becomes friends with Lela. On the third night of the ball, Hattie snatches off Ella's mask and Char sees that she is Ella. Ella flees and Char follows her. Ella breaks down crying, saying that the letter wasn't true and she loves him. Char is happy, and asks her to marry him. Ella knows she can't, but Hattie wants Char to marry Ella because she can force Ella to give her money. Hattie orders her to marry Char. Ella won't let the words come out of her mouth. She breaks the curse and marries Char. This is an unbelievable book that everyone should read. It has romance, fantasy, and adventure. This book gets two thumbs way up for me!
Adult Written byCarly Steyer April 9, 2008

i LOVE this book. it is the best book and has a great plot
Adult Written bysammy21 April 9, 2008