All parent member reviews for Ender's Game

Adult Written byseifert_jamie April 9, 2008

Best Sci-Fi book ive read

My name is Jamie, I am seventeen years old and a junior in High School. I was motivated by my English teacher to start reading this book and throughout the book I was required to write notes, complete quizzes, and have class discussions which proves that I have a commendable understanding of the novel The things I liked about the novel is that it portrays emotions such as anger, love, and hate. Examples of this are the love between Ender and Valentine, the anger between Ender and his competitors, and the hate between Ender and his brother Peter. I also like how Card goes in to detail about the events happening such as war, violence, and competition for power. Some examples of this is the wars between the buggers and humans, the violence Ender has to go through against other boys, and the competition that the armies have against each other. I liked this because these emotions and events that occur in the book take place in our lives every day. I only disliked a few things throughout the story such as Ender and his siblings being most intelligent children and the things they did at such a young age. I also disliked how Ender was sent to battle school at the age of six, and the fact that he became a commander and the world was relying on him at such a young age is pretty bizarre. The pacing of the story was great, there was never a time that I wasn’t guessing what was going to happen next. Card used great foreshadowing to create suspense throughout the novel. I thought the character development was great especially for Ender because as a young boy he was very kind and loving but as he got older he developed evil and cruel characteristics like his brother which he hated. The sentence structure was mostly in third person perspective told by the narrator with the exception of the discussions at the beginning of each chapter. I feel a connection with this novel when Card displays many examples of competition because I am a very competitive person and this made me get into the book better. I liked some of the literary techniques that Card used throughout the novel. My favorite was the foreshadowing at the beginning of each chapter because it hinted that there was something exciting going to happen later in the chapter which made me want to keep reading. The foreshadowing also gave me a better understanding at the end of the chapter. People who enjoy science fiction would definitely love this book and even people that aren’t science fiction fans because the novel has a lot of action, drama, and suspense. I recommend the novel Ender’s Game for people of ages above thirteen and for people that enjoy genres such as action, suspense, thriller, and drama. The book does contain some profanity so I recommend a parent reading it before allowing their child to read it.
Parent Written bypaula nicolette September 25, 2011

What parents should know!

If any parent ever wonders where young people get their ideas of violent, rude, inconsiderate behaviors, this would be a perfect example. Reading all the positive reviews have surprised me. Have we become so decensotized with all our aggressive video games and negative shows, that this is all OK. There are great ways to teach literature, language skills and good character, Let's find them and put this book on the shelf.
Adult Written byIndubitably April 9, 2008

Best Sci-Fi book I have ever read

I am a junior in high school, and I have read the novel, Ender's Game as a class assignment. I believe I am more than qualified to comment on the novel, because of the simplistic fact that I read it. The book itself has a very interesting story, and has been known to be called a "page turner." But, there are some things I don't like in the plot, such as, I found that all of the human race putting their lives on the line, and in the control of a ten-year-old boy is a bit far-fetched, but overall, it would say it was a good book. I also believe that the pacing of the story is a little off, because they spend almost the entire book covering what happens in the battle school, building up Ender as a commander, but then he's only a commander for a few short battles at the end of the book. I also believe for the time they spent building up the World War, it ended rather abruptly, and seemed as though they got tired of writing about it and quickly made up a quick ending. However, I did like the way that at the beginning of each chapter there were two anonymous government officials foreshadowing the plot, because it keeps you guessing as to who they were and how it would ultimately tie into the story. I think everyone has a connection to the novel, because it delves into the controversial questions such as the colonization of planets, and the possibilities of future World Wars. Card uses foreshadowing, plot twists , and back-stories throughout the novel to keep his readers interested. I think because there is a sort of sense of child dominance, that the younger generations would more often enjoy this book as opposed to older generations.
Adult Written byDr3w November 7, 2011

Not A Game for Kids

I loved this book, ok? I read it when I was seventeen and I thought it was great. That said, I would never let any of my younger siblings read it, and honestly I would have been kind of embarassed if my dad had picked it up and started skimming it. There's just too much foulness in this book for kids. Language is used FREQUENTLY! Not just every once in a while. I estimate that there were probably at least fifty obscenities and fifty profanities within its pages. No f-words, but still not appropriate language being used at all. Violence is for the most part not too terrible. There are a few sexual innuendos and situations, but it's mainly the language that makes me hesitant to recommend this book. Also, the themes and ideas in it are not something that you simply hand to a twelve year old and hope they'll be able to wade through.
Educator Written byasaloka December 12, 2010

An amazing book that helps to interest even the most reluctant readers

Clearly (from some of the reviews on this site) this book and its intricacies may be beyond the mental maturity level of some younger readers as well as others. This is one of those rare books that is very complex in areas of theme and character development, yet is on an easy enough reading level that struggling high school readers won't become frustrated. Every detail in this book, from the jokes, to the nudity, to the need to have a child lead the International Fleet, is very well and appropriately placed. This is also an excellent book to use for encouraging open discussion on many topics as well as for helping students to understand deeper levels of fiction and human nature than they usually see in print.
Adult Written byTravySpeak October 13, 2011

Will make you love reading.

Ender's Game was, in my opinion, an amazing story. The way Card (author of Enders Game) depicts human behavior is a real eye opener. His writing has a sense of excitement that just made me want to come back for more. When reading from the perspective of Ender you don't just read about the choices he makes but Card takes you through the process of how Ender thinks. This perspective of not only choice but thought brings you closer to Ender as a reader and allows you to perceive Enders choices in a way you may not have before. Aside from amazing description Enders Game is a bit of a dark story. Throughout the book there are examples of manipulation and violence from both main and supporting characters. Violence in combination with brief, however present, sexuality requires a bit of maturity from the reader. Granted this is no Steven King horror novel, however for these reasons i suggest readers of Enders Game be of age 15 or older. Suggestions and ratings aside, Enders Game is an amazing story full of description, action, mystery, and drama. To those of you who have or choose to read this book, you understand what i mean when i say. This book will make you love reading. Related books include: Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind, and Ender in Exile.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bysbird June 20, 2010

A great, moral book for anyone 12-92

I read this as an adult having heard about it from a friend. Fantastic science fiction and I immediately passed it on to my son. It is brutal in places but there is extensive discussion of moral issues throughout, and it's deeply relevant to my son's kind of thinking these days. Can't recommend it enough.
Adult Written byGhcool April 9, 2008

A book about children written for adults.

ENDER'S GAME is written from the character of Ender Wiggin’s point of view. The story is about the future in which aliens called Buggers have attacked Earth. Luckily, the Earth has won the First and Second Bugger Invasions, but the Third one will probably be the most difficult. Therefore the International Fleet, "... the only military [force] that meant anything anymore ..." has recruited genius children to go to Battle School in outer space and save the planet (Ender’s Game 17). The most intelligent of these children are Ender and Bean. One of the strongest criticisms of ENDER'S GAME is that in reality "... children don’t actually think or speak the way the children in [the Ender novels] think and speak" (Ender’s Game xix). I happen to agree with this assessment. The cognitive abilities of the children in the HARRY POTTER books were more grounded in reality than the cognitive abilities of the children in the ENDER'S GAME. That was one of the reasons the story worked so well. The children in Card’s Battle School talk and think more like adults. This is a suspension of disbelief that may not be acceptable to most people.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byskanish July 29, 2009

perfect for adults teens, and unusuallly mature tweens, a bit too violent and deep for younger children or sensitive tweens.

War from a futuristic, child's point of view. Read the other books in the series as well to get a very interesting multi dimensional perspective about war and fear of "the other". the Bean series is also interesting, but gets a bit wrapped up in politics in the second book. My 9 year old "philosopher" son loved it, but I doubt many others his age would.
Adult Written byFanLiu June 8, 2009

Parent of a 2 and 11 year old Written byZephyrzInferno March 19, 2011

A great book for mature kids.

I love this book. Because of the dramatic ending, I had my son read it too. We were able to talk about things not always being as they seem and some issues about hate and violence. This is probably better for more mature kids, however.
Parent of a 8, 11, and 13 year old Written byHSLitTeacher March 9, 2010

This book is required reading in my 9th grade class. The kids LOVE it every year-- out of the 6 novels we read, this is by far their favorite. Occasionally I get a very conservative family upset over the cussing and killing, but it's certainly tamer than a PG-13 movie.
Parent of a 15 year old Written byjakefreedom February 14, 2011

Should not be a children's book

This book is full of swearing by children as young as 6. It is also very violent and has racial slurs. I deleted this book and Card's other book "The lost gate" from my and my daughter's Nook library. There are ton of other fantasy books that we both love where the author doesn't need to use language and violence to sell them. Just because this was originally intended as an adult novel doesn't give it the right to be okay. I don't think it should have ever been turned into a children's book. I know this author can write a decent book, I loved "The pathfinder."
Parent of a 16 year old Written byahcim3 October 1, 2009

good for 15 year olds or up

this is the best book i have ever read! O.S.C is a brilliant writer. also good are the companion books:Speaker for the dead,Xenocide ,and Children of the mind. it gives you a lot of food for thought but defiantly not for younger children
Adult Written byrEADER2875 December 29, 2009

This ppok is one of craziet mind killers ever. It makes you want to flush it down a toliet but you know you'll only go trough the drain looking for any remains. Just don't read unless your already mental.
Adult Written byWilliamSmo September 15, 2010

pg 65

On page 65 there is some very racist jokes that are just bizarre. Why are they even there. The idea that a 6 year old would joke around like that is just strange. I don't see how it helps the story in any way. This is a good book, but why the pointless racist jokes?
Parent Written byKapad October 14, 2012

Six year olds REALLY!!!???

For others to say that this book provides positive role models is a very twisted perspective. The book is written about 6-8 year olds (innocent children) acting like puberty hit at age 3 and testosterone levels were over the top from the womb. As I have read many of the reviews written by children, I note that a number of them state explicitly that they kept forgetting that the main characters were little children. Maybe that is due to the fact that other than Card telling us in a line or two that they are, everything else in the book from dialogue to social interactions between the characters is obviously beyond even teenage expression. After having read several Card books, I have concluded that he has a number of personality defects that come out in his books... exhibitionism, contempt for even proper authority, and the need to insert sexuality into all of his books that were presumably written for children... well, let's just say that I would never hire him to babysit my children. I was shocked to learn that Card is a Mormon. I had always thought that Mormons were known and even stereotyped for their high, even extreme morals... not Card! For an adult book, the plot and story line were fine as long as you could forget that it was a kindergartener who was speaking and acting like a Navy SEAL. In many ways, the books real social or literary "value" is all stolen from Lord of the Flies, and better exploited in The Hunger Games. Not much new to offer, and not very thought provoking. (Although it did leave me pondering if my personal experience with six year olds has been too limited. I'll have to sit down with one, over a cigar and coffee, in a nightclub and have a conversation with one.)
Adult Written bykctipton January 28, 2012

Ethically challenging

A lot of futuristic ethical dilemmas. The government/military seems to have a genetic screening / family-size limit in place. Ender shouldn't have been born but for his likelihood to be genetically what the military needs in a great leader. All prospective military trainees get implants which allow them to be monitored constantly, both for what they do and what they feel. This is how the military decides Ender may be "the one." Ender doesn't like violence, but he is good at it as a final solution to stopping aggressors. He also isn't bound by conventional thinking, and this allows him and his "army" to reach the top of the "game" ranks in short order. Eventually he is tricked into thinking he is operating an advanced simulator of war games when, in fact, he is directing the actual war against the "buggers." He wins and annihilates them. Ender isn't too bad at forming accurate psychological insights into his enemies - and his military bosses. The military regularly does things that cause much distress in the cadets. Ender's older brother and sister (also geniuses) use the anonymity of the internet to manipulate world attitudes towards the war, geopolitics, and what should happen after the war is over. Ender's brother, in particular, has ulterior motives. At one point Ender's sister is forced into an ethical dilemma by the military as well, using her love of her little brother to get her to help the military get Ender to cooperate. I believe that kids who can think deeply will find "Ender's Game" interesting and possibly upsetting. There are some upended conventions, like a real lax view towards nudity (in the barracks) and no societal argument against the military taking whomever it wants to be a cadet. I don't believe that the book advocates violence at all, but it doesn't hide from human-human conflict in its most ugly form.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bymessenger December 13, 2008

must read for all

this story is fantastic the whole story is good but the ending is such a shock and a twist that you will think that the person who wrote this was smarter than eistien
Adult Written byzzzmarcus April 9, 2008