Parent reviews for Ender's Game

Ender's Game Poster Image

Great book for kids and adults

Ender is a great role model; he faces bullies and he doesn't let others decide his code of conduct. Great book, especially for kids who spend too much time gaming and read for school only. This can change attitudes about reading.

A spectacular book that cemented my love of reading

I understand why many parents are saying this book is for older teens, given the themes and violence involved. But one of my fondest memories as a child was reading this book cover to cover the day after I got it for Christmas when I was 9. I had no idea a book could be that good, or that I was even capable of reading an adult length novel. It entirely changed how I approached reading, and I owe so much of my late elementary and junior high reading experiences to it that I hate to see parents or kids shy away from it only because of the theming. There is extreme violence and bad language, but the violence is necessary to explain the morally complex story presented, and the main character grapples with his discomfort with what is going on. I think in the same way that Judy Blume demonstrated that younger readers than we might expect can deal with challenging topics like death and sexuality, Card demonstrates that the same can be true of violence and political strategy. I would not shy away from offering this book to a reasonably mature child with a love of stories about sci fi and fantasy battles; he or she may well be better off directly grappling with the moral complexity of war than reading yet another fantasy story about a battle of good guys versus evil monsters, where the bright lines between good and evil allow the author to unquestioningly glorify battle.

Really mature

This is a very mature book including violence like ripping of ears and skinning squirrels and I quote watching the life seep out of them. There is much swearing like damn and ass has very heavy themes. It is very hard to remember these kids are 10 and younger. Also many references to balls. Overall very mature and would only let a mature 13 year old read it.

Excellent book written ahead of it's time in 1985

Great message and I am amazed at how relevant it is today when it was written so long ago. The line that gets me is "Salaam" ...means peace be with you in Arabic made it to the movie as well. Great story.

Some language to be wary of

Some minor characters cuss, and while I understand the effect the author was going for, I don't think the book would have suffered by not having the strong lang. in it. Parents - just use your best judgement based on how sensitive your child is about bad words. I have a 15 yr. old that could handle hearing that, but his younger brother (13) is still sensitive about them. Those using the language are the bullies in the stories (for the most part) though. Not a book I would normally listen to, but it came highly recommended and the ending was good. But then, I'm a 43 yr. old Mom of 4 . I can see how guys would like it. This book was notwritten for young boys though. It simply has a boy as the central character. That central character though, does have some really admirable character qualities that would make it a good one for boys old enough to handle the language. It is violent, but in a 'stand up for yourself' kind of way.

Good Book

This book is really suspenseful at parts. But there is some violence and I think a 14 year can handle that. There also is some swearing.

Good!

Good!

awesome, with mature themes

I absolutely loved this book: it is one of the best sci-fi novels I have read and kept me intrigued the whole way through. Whilst the story depicts a young boys' journey into adolescence, this is not a book for children and young teens. There are some 'adult' themes explored in this novel, which require maturity to comprehend or a parent to discuss them with.

A VICTORY on Multiple Fronts!!!

ENDER'S GAME by Orson Scott Card is one of the most fascinating stories I've read. It shows the journey of young Andrew "Ender" Wiggin, he's a "third" in a world where parents are only permitted to have up to two children. However the government allowed his birth aware of his gifts, so he can train in battle-school to defeat the menacing "Buggers." Ender though doesn't have it all easy. His thoughts are constantly being brought back to all the bullies his life has and to the few allys he has had all the while trying so hard not to show weakness. Meanwhile, the side-story involving Ender's siblings back home is thought provoking and a bit amusing. Orson Scott Card's novel brings the readers to deeply empathize with the titular Ender as he interacts and reacts to the equally striking characters he encounters. One thing though, Card doesn't shy away from the kids spewing agressive language including toilet humor. All the same, the technology (especially the games) are fascinating. (Who wouldn't think Anti-Gravity-Space-Laser-Freeze-Tag wouldn't be cool?!) Do bring a dictionary along for the read, because there are loads of political terms that not even I understood. (But they are real, I assure you.) This novel is a must-read. Originally the story was written during the Cold-War and some of the technology in this book has already come to past. VERDICT: A Deep Sci-Fi Book that shows a realistic pressure of the world on a Young chosen one in traing via "Laser Tag" and "Video Games." It's a blast on Sooo Many LEVELS!!!

BEST BOOK EVER

The best book EVER- I read it when I was 11 and it stayed my favorite book of all time. The reason I say 10 and up is that this book has some concepts that younger kids may not understand as well as symbolism and so it may be slightly difficult, but I love this book and even if you don't get it, it's a great story. No matter how big a jerk the author is, his writing is amazing.