Kid reviews for Ender's Game

Ender's Game Poster Image

my thoughts...

It's a sci-fi classic with racist language, violence, and adult themes.
1 person found this helpful.

Sucks

It's boring and sucks. I have to do a boring assignment and there's nothing significant about it
1 person found this helpful.

Entertaining, racist, kinda messed up

You may notice that most kids' reviews are by 13 to 14-year-olds. I guess Ender's Game is a required read in many schools, mine included. Honestly, this is a very bizarre book. Don't get me wrong; I love science fiction. And this book was very engaging with its strategic battles and moments of reflection. But I only somewhat enjoyed this. It made me feel uncomfortable often. The white students at the militaristic "Battle School" slip into African-American dialect to inflict their tone. It gets excessive to the point where not only is it annoying, it feels like it's mocking African-Americans with such a dialect. At some point, the narrator labels Petra slipping into the dialect as "imitating the slang of the uneducated." Card lets his prejudices shine through his writing on almost every page. In the corridors where the "armies" of the Battle School live, the students are almost always described as fully naked. Most of the kids in these armies are 8-12 years old, so it's questionable. Most of the soldiers (students) are boys. There's a bunch of testicle humor, and the commander of one army puts a desk (large display tablet) over his groin with animated wiggling testicles. So hilarious. So, in conclusion, Ender's Game has a decent plot but causes me immense discomfort. Definitely for older kids. Swear words exist (oh no!), but they aren't overused.

Great book

This is a great book for teens, as well as mature pre-teens. Though the swearing may be a bit excessive, and some of the joke more offensive than comfortable, it’s honestly realistic. If edited some by a parent, this book could even be read to younger kids.

People overreact about how much violence it has.

A great book with good writing, there are some parts that might be a little bad for a little kid to see but it's really good. I don't see why people say it has too much violence as the whole idea of the book is a 11 year old military commander. Great book.

People overreact about how much violence it has.

I have read this book in school quite a lot, and I remember loving it and being very interested in the story and characters. I think anybody my age could read this book if they wanted. It is very simple especially for a young teen like me. This book is also a classic literary icon, I don't think I have gone to any library and not seen it there. I would also recommend this book due to the role models.

Ender's Game

Ender's Game is possibly the only sci-fi book I've ever liked. It is very psychological and has a lot of mind games that are played on Ender. Personally, I love it. But Everyone has different opinions after reading it.

Hetronormative and Slightly Racist

While part of the theme of Ender's Game is powerful, the book itself uses anti-semetic and racist slurs for no other reason than the author wanted to put them in. The children also stay naked for most of the novel for no particular reason. All in all, its a terrible book.