Kid reviews for Escape from Aleppo

Gripping, moving tale of Syrian teen fleeing war-torn city.

No reviews yetAdd your rating

Based on 1 review
Kid, 11 years old December 26, 2018

Amazing book for preteens!

I love this book! I saw it in the store and knew I had to read it! For a while I have been interested and saddened by the tragedy of the Syrian Refugee Crisis. I even started a group at my school to fund-raise for a refugee family being sponsored by my church. When the Syrian family arrived at the house they would be staying in I was one of the people there to greet them. One of the refugees was a boy, about my age and we became good friends. One of the things about this book that hit me really hard was the fact that some of my friends have gone through similar things. This book has great role models including the main character Nadia, who is a strong Arabic Muslim girl who pushes on no matter what. This book is educational, teaching kids about current events and helping them to connect with other kids in different countries. This book can be a little bit scary, but what do you expect from a book about the Syrian Civil War? Nadia talks about how she was injured by a shrapnel bomb and a little boy talks about losing his family in a bombing. They run into ISIS near the end but they manage to get past them and across the border to safety in Turkey.

Educational Value