Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Every Day

Inventive teen romance blurs notions of gender, reality.

Parent Written byfueledbychocolate June 29, 2014

Too much Inappropriate content for young readers

I liked this book as an adult for an ADULT. Warning - inappropriate content for pre-teens & younger kids. I start with this because my 12 yr old discovered this book because it was highly recommended by both her 6th & 7th grade English teachers (who I'm unhappy with).The story is written from the POV of a 16 yr old and contain topics, information and descriptions that some parents may find unsuitable for kids younger than 16. If you are a parent, I strongly suggest you pre-read this and decide if it is appropriate for your child and the information is presented in a way you are comfortable with. The following subject matters are present in the book: sex (multiple scenes/references - worst being Ex: Day 6020 p.227-233), homosexuality, drugs, pot, partying/alcohol abuse, depression, suicide...all these things the main character experiences visiting a different 16 yr old body each day. I do not make judgments about any of these topics, just want to state they are addressed to various degrees in the content. The Main Character regularly lies and deceives the adults in his/her life in order to ditch school and drive off to meet up with the object of his/her obsession. Not ideas I want my kids having or getting. I made the mistake of not pre-reading this book b/c a teacher recommended and I regret it. I wish my 12 yr old could "unread" this. That is my review wearing my responsible 'mom' hat. For an adult, it is an entertaining read with an interesting plot.

Adult Written byAngelina W. June 21, 2017

Great Book!

In my opinion, Every Day was a very interesting and good book. My children had to read it for their school, so I decided to read it as well. My review would be that, it does include some dark concepts and ideas that you can most certainly go over and have discussions with your kids about, but it has all around good messages for young adults. Personally, my kids became more aware of certain situations different people face throughout their lives, and are now more open to learning, accepting, and supporting these types of people. It's very plot twisting, and had me intrigued at every moment. I would very much recommend.

Parent Written byB H. August 16, 2017

Great book with different twist

But did have a bit too much sex and abusive relationship content for younger teens.
Adult Written by☁︎ y. April 4, 2018

Good for Mature Minds

I think this book is very fascinating and catches the interest of many different types of people into one story. If the child / teen / adult has good control over their mindset and is maturely developed, I believe this is a wonderful book. There isn’t much that someone less mature couldn’t handle, though - just more enjoyable for the mature. It’s concept is very intriguing and definitely worth the read. So hard to put it down.

Adult Written byTurf Dad June 26, 2018

Good book but missed opportunities

Found the story to be engaging and the writing style very good...that said, feel like the author missed a lot of opportunities with his premise. The character of A seems to almost superhumanly have accepted his life as a vagabond spirit with none of the anger, confusion or outright hostility almost any teen would have to this predicament. We get no sense of how A managed to navigate the reality of having no gender/being equally both genders at once through his/her life. Perhaps an older teen like A could come to some kind of acceptance, but how did toddler A deal with it? I would imagine toilet training would have been almost impossibly confusing. And how did A deal with the beginnings of puberty? At some point wouldn't A try to take some kind of agency for his/her existence? Indulging a crush on someone? Dealing with sexual urges and the need to be someone of his/her own? That said, the romance with Rhiannon is pretty good, but the author allows this part to overwhelm what could have been a masterpiece and is instead just very good.

Educational Value
Parent of a 11, 14, 16, and 18+ year old Written byMidnightMom February 18, 2018

More of the left desensitizing youth blurring gender

Cool concept if it wasn't for teens who are already confused and learning about what sexuality even is...this generation have numerous friends who are bisexual yet there's only 2-4% of adults.? Movies like these just feel insulting like they trying to get away with this and passing it off as innovative. Being gay is not a choice so why does the movie industry try to blur lines that should be drawn?
Adult Written byGoodLit January 2, 2019

Propaganda promoting Transform, gender confusion and abusive relationships.