Kid reviews for Every Day

Inventive teen romance blurs notions of gender, reality.

Teen, 13 years old Written bygirlwithadaisy October 10, 2012

I could read this every single day!

I read this book in a day and absolutely loved it. I am 13 years old and I think that anyone 13 and up could read this book as long as they are mature enough to handle some of the tougher things in modern teenagers lives ie drugs, drinking, etc. However the main character, A, is a positive role model and respectful of the bodies he inhabits and the people he meets throughout the novel. If anybody is put off by reading about sex, violence, or drugs, I would tell them not to let it get in the way because these themes are very minimal in the book and overall it is an AMAZING read about love and life and moving on from challenges. David Levithan's writing is extremely gripping and beautiful, and I am so in love with this book that I could read it again, and again, every day.

Teen, 13 years old Written byminimoviecritic January 22, 2013

fav book ever!!!

Great book! There is some romance, but not too heavy. It has some really heavy concepts and plot points, however, such as the idea that "A" can never stay in the same body, same life, for more than one day, and then has to move on. This means he/she can never have anything solid to hold on to, even a gender. All of these are very compelling to think about, but can take some strength to really consider. Loved it and I highly recommend it!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byLivage June 25, 2013

Okay For Mature Teens

I thought this book was really amazing, starting with the whole concept of only being able to stay in one body for a day, which I find really intriguing to think about. I wouldn't say that the book is educational, necessarily, but both A and Rhiannon are good role models. A is respectful of the lives of the people he inhabits, he/she tries not to disrupt their relationships too much, he/she resists from doing things that the body wants to do (such as drugs). In one situation where he/she is a girl who is suicidal, he/she tells her father that he needs to get her help immediately, even if she says she doesn't want it the next day. Rhiannon is always supportive of A, and she is surprisingly understanding and accepting of his/her situation. She puts practicality before her own desire to be with A in the interest of protecting the lives of the people A inhabits (for example when A gets them in trouble with strict parents for leaving/skipping school to go and be with her). The book also conveys positive messages, like when A gets help for the suicidal girl, when he resists doing drugs, when he doesn't have sex with Rhiannon because it isn't his body and it's not really right. That being said, sex is somewhat of a concern because the book does describe A and Rhiannon kissing and it talks about how A is letting Rhiannon take the lead so it only goes as far as she wants it to, but it describes how she undresses them. She also tells A about having met a stranger at the door in nothing but her undergarments, because she thought it would be A at the door. At a party that A goes to in the form of a boy named Nathan, there is a lot of drinking, and A wakes up in the body of a girl who not only is hungover from getting drunk last night, but whose brother died in a car accident because he was in the passenger seat when she was drunk driving. A wakes up in the body of someone whose immediate reaction to waking up is that they need drugs immediately, but he doesn't take anything all day. When Rhiannon tells Justin that she has to take her mom to the doctor, he tells her to bring him back some of her pills. A wakes up in the body of a girl whose brother smokes while he drives her to school. Also, on a side note, I think the book has a kind of sad ending, even though I also think that A did the right thing, I was hoping for it to end differently. All in all, I'm a 14 year old and I think that it's okay for mature teenagers who recognize that all the lifestyles that A's many bodies choose for themselves are not acceptable.

Teen, 13 years old Written byPotterheadWhovian104 October 19, 2014

Interesting, but seemingly random.

I really enjoyed this book, but the plotline is sort of here-and-there, not very easy to follow, and sort of unplanned. I liked A, but not the girl he was so in love with. There is some kissing, but it's not really overwhelming and should be good if your kid reads books with that sort of thing. It's not the best book, but not the worst either.

Teen, 13 years old Written bydancer321 February 16, 2014

Every Day

This is a fantastic book with excellent writing techniques. The author did amazing and wrote a story that is unique and interesting. A great book! Some swearing, but not that much.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBooknrd187 April 30, 2015

My favorite book!

This is a wonderfully written book. The plot was well-driven and understandable. For parents, you should know that there there isn't too much violence, just a fight over drugs, which is not seen. There is a some drinking and drugs, like, as I said before, a boy (who is not the main character) fights over drugs. Teens drink at a party A attends. For the sexy stuff, there are some mentions of sex and people embrace multiple times, and a few kisses. This is a good book for older tweens because, since A switches bodies, you get to see a lot of issues going on and even resolve some. There were a few times they swear, but over all, this book was a joy. I loved it so much.

Teen, 15 years old Written byLibbylesure May 4, 2014

Every Day

I read the book thanks to a friend, and I found myself liking it even though I wasn't expecting to.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybigwidedworld101 September 3, 2015

Good Book

This is a good book and I enjoyed reading it. Parents need to know that there is significant sexual orientation, drug usage, alcohol and violence. This would be a love story in my opinion because it follows a boy who falls deeply in love with a girl he can't be with because he changes bodies every day. To sum it all up, this is an empowering and touching teen novel about the power of love. It shows that no matter how much we may change on the outside, our inner feelings don't change for a person we may really love.

Teen, 13 years old Written byTeenLife.G March 19, 2017

I LOVE IT

Great read! Totally could read this every day! fav of 2017!

Teen, 17 years old Written bytiMsa300 October 14, 2016

Every Day

Every Day was a very good book. Throughout the story, I was always guessing what was going to happen next, what A would do, and what would happen to A. The story also touched me emotionally at times. I don't know how to explain it, but the book is very good and I recommend it to anyone!
Kid, 12 years old February 7, 2018

Too inappropriate, biased and easy

The plot could've turned out pretty good, but the way that this young adult author wrote it, just messed the whole book up. The average sentence type was about 3-5 words and the book was only descriptive when A and Rhiannon were lying naked in a bed together. I also think that this book was way to easy for me but the content was more for older kids. I read this for school in a lit circle book so I couldn't abandon it; if I could've stopped reading, I would've. When my peers read a bit of the mature content in this book, their expressions changed dramatically, and they backed out in disgust and were left with the question in their heads. " How come this book is too easy for me but the content is for older kids? " I personally think that this reading level is for fifth graders and the content is for young adults. Another problem that I had with this book, was that it was offensive and went against my beliefs. It mocked Christians and also offended people with different body shapes and beliefs. I hope that if you read this ( Please don't ), you will be able to quit reading it if you dislike it. Happy Reading!

Teen, 13 years old Written byRainime September 20, 2018

Hey

I read this when I was 11 or 12 - probably 12. It did have mentions of inappropriate stuff but honestly by the time you're 11 or so you're kind of exposed to reality anyway, so I suppose 12+ would be my rating. It was a really good book - one of my favourites :) I love the message and characters and everything.

Teen, 13 years old Written byFennecFox15 April 11, 2018

Beautiful Book Shows Diversity and Different Lifestyles

I've been wanting to read this book for a while, but was uncertain about whether the content would be age-approriate or not. I finally decided to try it and stop if it got bad, but I was pleasantly surprised and read the entire book. I feel that the other reviews make it seem worse than it is. Yes, the main character spends a day in a body of a drug addict and in the body of a girl who killed her brother after drinking and driving, but drinking and taking drugs are shown in a negative light, and if anything, I think that this book would convince people not to do these things. It shows how hard your life would become if you did. There is also romance in the book, but scenes that could have been innapropriate are not described in a lot of detail. Instead, they focus more on how A wishes that he/she could have a lasting relationship. Overall, Every Day is a beautiful story with an interesting concept and a lot to tell about accepting diversity and choosing a healthy life. I believe that it is fine for people 12 years and older, and I recomend this book to anyone who finds the concept intriguing.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKate. S March 1, 2018

Good book, sweet story.

It's good. I feel like the payoff is just fine. Good writing, I did almost cry . A little inappropriate .

Teen, 15 years old Written byJennaRatesMovies December 1, 2018

I love this book

This book was incredible! I loved it! I would recommend it to anyone that likes romance novels! This book is intended for teens, it contains a lot of cursing and very suggestive content. I would say 15+ is an accurate age for this book.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMayberry June 17, 2018

Every Day

I gave up on this book. I did not hook me. Not worth your time.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCastielWinchester March 5, 2018

Intriguing concept

I love the concept so much and the message it is trying to convey. It doesn't really matter you're labels. You're labels shouldn't overcome love. Although sometimes it seems to be less present. This book is a pretty mature read but I think once someone hits the right age they should definitely read it.