Kid reviews for Extras: Uglies Quartet, Book 4

A great way to discuss fame and tech obsessions with teens.

No reviews yetAdd your rating

Kid, 12 years old November 4, 2016

Good series with a disappointing conclusion.

Compared to the other books, this one is the worst. It was originally supposed to be a trilogy and Scott Westerfield should of kept it that way. the new character Aya is rather selfish and wants popularity, and is a bad role model compared to Tally. Speaking of Tally she comes back in this book seeming even more unlikeable than she did in Specials. Thankfully this book isn't vital to ending the series like its title says it is a bit of an extra.
Kid, 11 years old August 13, 2015

Ok

It was better than specials, but no where near as good as pretties. Violence is probably a 2/5, and there is some kissing. Some drinking

Teen, 17 years old Written byPride and Prejudice March 7, 2015

Not a necessary installment in the series.

Extras follows a different main character which is something I did not realize when I decided to read it. I was disappointed enough about the main character switch that I had trouble really enjoying the story. I found I just didn't care as much about the new character. It was still a well written and thoughtful book. I just didn't find it necessary to read after having read the first three in the Uglies series.
Teen, 14 years old Written byelectric ella July 13, 2012

A thought-provoking story about obsessions with technology

This book started fairly slowly for me. I couldn't get into the story until the main character shut up about how much she wanted to be famous! The main character is a "Kicker", someone who has her own news feed and tries to become famous by "Kicking" (promoting) other people's trends.
The story really kicks off when the main character, Aya, finds a clique of girls who don't want to be famous, but they do crazy stunts in secret all the time. So, Aya pretends to be one of the clique, getting spy cameras so she she has proof for her news feed. She betrays the girls, making them famous, but they understand and let her do it, because on one of their stunt journeys riding on a mag-lev train, they come across a secretive plan that could potentially destroy civilization and they believe that saving the world is worth letting Aya betray them.
The story does manage to revive Aya's character, because she does find out the truth in the end. But along the way, she does make some bad choices and meets people who make terrible choices. I think the writer has done that deliberately, because it makes good reading, but it is not a great example of good role models.
Overall, I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to others who like science fiction, romance and adventure. It is a great read, well written and has some interesting points about our society.

Educational Value
Teen, 14 years old Written byGopherit March 4, 2012

Liked it!

I'm seriously laughing at the other reviews right now. This book was one of my favorites in the entire story.

It takes on a different view of how life is after the mind-rain for someone other than Tally or her friends. It's a 15 year old girl, Aya, who is waiting until she is 16 so she can live in Prettyville. It shows you how times have changed for those under 16 & those over. Towards the end of the book, Tally Youngblood appears a last time to "rescue" Aya, her brother, and friends from something relating to fame. (don't want to spoil it) This is where I had a problem with the book. Tally's character seemed somewhat erased, it almost was if another author was writing her dialogue. She was quite too "stiff" and sure of herself to be Tally. Other than that, the book was great.

PS: I have a Kindle and read the reviews after I read a book. Someone noted that Scott Westerfield has poor endings and now that I think of it, he does fall short in the endings. Leaves way too many questions unanswered.

Teen, 13 years old Written bycplovesbroadway December 1, 2011

AWESOME!!!

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! Although it is not my fav, (i like Pretties, Uglies, then Specials, then this) it is still great! If you loved the series read it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byFancyReality August 19, 2011

Horrible Book

Basically, Scott Westerfeld wrote 3 amazing books then for some insane reason he decides to taint the Amazing series with this piece of trash!!
I couldn't get past the middle of the book; it was that boring.
Teen, 14 years old Written byI izz awsom July 28, 2011

A Waste Of My Precious Time

I Think Scott Westerfeld Should Have ended the trilogy where it should have ended, after 3 books. I thought he was trying too hard to keep the series going and I honestly didn't enjoy the book.