Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Fairest

Handmaid to queen discovers true beauty in charming fantasy.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byclarisaBellamy September 25, 2009

Another wonderfully empowering story from Gail Carson Levine.

My 8-year old loved this book, and so do I. This story includes many subtle lessons: the pitfalls of obsession with beauty, the importance of family support and self-reliance, making the most of your strengths, and how good deeds and considerations can pay back in unexpected ways.

Adult Written bylollipop7720231 November 3, 2011

Fairest

it will teach kids on it to judge people by how they look just whats on the inside!

Parent of a 10 year old Written byhomeschoolin April 6, 2010
I'm 10 and I read it. I loved most of it, but there are a couple of things that I think are iffy: some deception, imprisonment, and a little kissing. But overall, it rocks!

Adult Written byindie_q February 1, 2015

Fascinating Journey of finding true beauty.

Aza is young girl who is very different from the rest of the people in her kingdom. She lives with her family in a small inn they run. One day she receives the pleasure of becoming a substitute lady in waiting and attends the wedding of the king. Aza is ashamed she is not a beauty like the rest but its her dream. Throughout her journey she meets loyal friends but also deceitful people who plan on causing horrid things to Aza. In the books Aza struggles against the public over her appearance and the way she isn't like rest and isn't really accepted. A theme the books really tries to convey is it doesn't matter how we look in the outside,but how we are in the inside. As Aza discovers that for herself . In my opinion I think its really messed up of them for discriminating Aza because she's different . It's a wonderful book though ,that keeps you content and fills your head to imagine colorful or elegant things. I would recommend this to a parent ,teacher or a friend.

Educational Value
Adult Written by[email protected] April 9, 2008

A great book but it has a little violence.

I read this book and it is awesome! It kind of gets confusing in the middle, though
Adult Written bybob12345678 April 15, 2011

terrible for every age

bad book... CAUTION: DO NOT READ!!! ITS so boring!!! it make you want to puke!!! uh oh... i need a mop ughhh!!! ewww