All parent member reviews for Fangirl

Educator and Parent Written byamy_dale April 27, 2014

Great voice for Teens

Most people under thirty (and many people over thirty) are edgy these days; our soft, organic, human curves honed to sharpness by the razor edges of technology. Most of us are subtly (or drastically) changed by the way we receive information. Our minds are edgy, as television and movies are edgy – jumping from thought to thought, chore to chore, channel to channel. Rainbow Rowell is edgy, too, and so is her writing. Rowell manages to skim along that razor with skill, keeping pace with the new way we think. Her writing seems effortless. Her fiction is fresh, exciting, and fun, along with being edgy. It’s also very, very real. Fangirl (St. Martin’s Griffen, 2013) is a fairly straightforward story – twin sisters go to college. Each of them finds their own way. They have boyfriends, make new friends, work hard, make mistakes, etc. The rub comes as the sister’s co-dependent relationship crumbles. Cath, the painfully shy main character, is stretched to her limit as her sister Wren abandons her for her new friends. Cath, as she has since she was a teen, copes by burying herself in the world of fiction, particularly the fictional world of Simon Snow: reading it, writing fan fiction, and using it as an escape mechanism. Rowell weaves Cath’s story together with the fictional story of Simon Snow, and then throws in snippets of the fan fiction that Cath writes as well. Taken together, it’s a kaleidoscope of a story, a hall of mirrors in which one plot line is mirrored in another story, and again in another, distorted a bit each time. All of this is sewed together so seamlessly, it’s hard to see the skill involved in making this story sing. But sing it does. Rainbow Rowell is writing great fiction, with great characters, great plot, and a sincere message. Somehow, she gets it just right. The characters shine as individuals; none of them perfect, all of them human and recognizable as facets of ourselves. There is enough movement to sweep you along, enough jumping to keep you tensed and ready to spring, enough humanity to grab hold of your compassion and tug you away from your own world into that of the characters. If you are a fan of John Green (The Fault in Our Stars), you’ll likely enjoy anything written by Rainbow Rowell - they have similar messages and writing styles, and they use unconventional and powerful tools in their story telling that makes them interesting to read for people who have grown up in the digital age. Rainbow Rowell succeeded in making Eleanor & Park one of the best written YA novels of 2013, and she succeeds again with Fangirl. I recommend it for anyone fourteen and up.
Educator and Parent of a 11, 13, and 17 year old Written byleisuretime August 20, 2015

Inappropriate for teens

The description is accurate: sexual situations and foul language throughout. Very foul language. F*** G**D*** B**** Those aren't words I use. Ever. They aren't words I want to listen to - or read. Ever. They aren't words I want my children - of any age - listening to or reading. Ever. When a TV show or movie uses those words, I turn it off. When they are in snook, I'm done. I don't understand how a parent gives this book a thumbs up, let alone 2 thumbs up. Why do you want your child feeding their thoughts on someone's sexual adventures or reading curse words page after page? The review infers that the main characters not cursing and the fact that swear words aren't used in every conversation makes the extreme foul language palatable. My goodness, in the same line there's G**D*** and f***ing. This isn't just an unsavory sprinkling. I don't doubt that Ms Rowell is a talented writer. It's unfortunate she feels she needs to litter her art with these items. I know first hand that learning disabilities and crippling social anxiety exist without sex and cussing. Here's the real tragedy. The teens in that world are missing out on Ms. Rowell's gift. The teens who struggle with learning challenges and anxiety but who don't cuss and aren't sexually active aren't going to have the benefit of Ms. Rowell's genius. The ones who think this book is so amazing would not miss the cursing and sex scenes. Ms. Rowell could convey the challenges, the relationships, the victories without the inappropriate content. The reasons I don't want my children reading this book( the reasons my17-year-old would choose not to read this book) are not even vital to the essence of what makes this book resonate with readers. Ms. Rowell, you can do better. Give your readers hope in a way that causes them to want to respect themselves and to act in a manner worthy of respect. Use your gifts to elevate your readers, not in a condescending or haughty fashion but in a way that demonstrates they know they are worthy of love and respect.
Adult Written byParentschoices July 26, 2015

It is highly appropriate for teenager girls and is a normal book with the basence of violence.. with mild language. Definitely a good book for very teenage girl.