All teen and kid member reviews for Fangirl

Teen, 13 years old Written bybroadwaybookworm January 5, 2014

Fangirl Leaves me Fangirl-ing about Rainbow Rowell!

My friend told me to pick up Fangirl and once I read it, I absolutely fell in love with it. Rainbow Rowell is an amazing author and she spins a tale that gets you really into the book. There is a lot of swearing in it, and there are some mature themes, but mature kids 14 and over should be able to handle it. I would highly recommend Rainbow Rowell's books if you really enjoy John Green books, because their writing style is sort of the same. I think they should make Fangirl into a movie, because if they did it right, it would be watched a lot. If you liked Fangirl, you should read Eleanor & Park (also by Rainbow Rowell)
Teen, 15 years old Written bypeppemints December 13, 2013

Interesting, Fun Story; Mature Teens Aged 14 & Up Can Handle It

Oh, how I LOVE this book! This is definitely one of my favorites. This is perfect for mature teens aged 14 & up. There is swearing, with quite a few F bombs, and occasional descriptions of characters being drunk. The characters, who are at college-age, discuss sexual relationships and kiss passionately. However, this book contains positive messages and role models, such as the main character! Oh, how I LOVE this book! This is definitely one of my favorites. Mature teens can handle it! It's a super fun read!
Teen, 15 years old Written byStaceytheNerd September 28, 2014

475 Pages, 2 Days

I read this book in 2 days flat. Now, I am an avid reader but I can say it has been a long while since I read a young adult novel so riveting I finished it in less than 48 hours. While there may be a little too much swearing for primary-school students (Australian and UK high schools which means around 12+ is okay) it is undoubtedly accurate for the context. It is really well-written and the characters have immense depth and dimension. Fangirl deals subtly and sensitively with issues including broken families, anxiety, mental illness (I think the dad might be bipolar or something, I'm not sure), learning difficulties (Levi's dyxlexia), failing school subjects and friendships. The characters are great and are well-meaning although when they do stuff-up consequences do find them. Its a real good adventure and I'd reccomend this as good birthday or Christmas present material for teenage girls and boys.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNerdyReviews November 8, 2014

AMAZING

I LOVED this book. Rarely have I felt such a deep connection to a character as I did with the main character, quiet college student and adamant writer, Cath. This book inspired me and the writing style was flawless. However, as the characters are all college age, there is much drinking and sex, however our main girl Cath never gets too involved. There is also the constant use of major swear words throughout the novel, as would be expected to correctly portray college students.
Kid, 12 years old October 12, 2014

Fangirl is the best book I have ever read.

Fangirl is unlike any of the books I have ever read. It is absolutely amazing in my eyes. She characters are so relatable Cath seems so much like me it's unreal. I have gotten so attached to the characters that it could be the only book I could ever read. Now don't get me started on Levi. He is my favorite male character in any book I've ever read. He is sweet, he is funny, and his personality is just breathtaking that I wish that I could have someone like him in my life right now. The way he treats Cath is so sweet and it is the most adorable book I have ever read. It is so well written and I recommend it to everyone and anyone who wants characters and a story where you can feel the character and wish they were real. My only negative thing is I wish there was more at the end. Also there are some mentions of sex and there is swearing so don't read this is you are under 11. I personally can understand a child that says they are mature because I am 12 but I understand and it doesn't feel inapropriate when sex is mentioned and when there is swearing. If you feel mature, read it because you will probably love it like I did. I totally recommend it. I read it in 1 day.
Kid, 11 years old June 23, 2014

Best novel ever!

I loved fangirl, and think it's just fine for kids ages eight and up! There is no sex (although they talk about how Cath shouldn't go out by herself because she'd be a target for rapists) no violence, but there is a lot of drinking. Cath's twin sister is even sent to the hospital for alcohol poisoning. Lots of cursing. But there are lots of positive messages about perseverance and staying true to yourself.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBooklover1231 December 25, 2014

IFFY FOR TWEENS

I feel that 14-15 is really the youngest you should read Fangirl. My reasons why are the LANGUAGE! It is very very foul and I was very disappointed how often the F-bomb was said. As commonsense says, I feel like the mature content isn't horrible but it is still very bad. This book is great but definately be prepared for lots of profanity. WRITING The writing is beautiful but with so many bad words strewn about It almost ruins the book. I couldn't stop reading because the characters were written perfectly. I thought Cath was a very sweet and shy person and I loved how she was always nice! Liam is sweet and very charismatic. BE CAREFUL WITH THIS BOOK!
Teen, 14 years old Written bybookfangirl8 December 6, 2014

This Book is Great

I absolutely love this book. I've read it twice now and can't get over how much I love Cath and Levi. This is way better than rainbow's more popular book Eleanor & Park.
Teen, 17 years old Written byOliviaGreen October 22, 2014

Good book for any day!!

When I first picked up Fangirl the first thing I noticed was the length, but don't let that scare you. Although the book is lengthy it reads quickly. Actually, when I reached the end, I wished there had been another hundred pages. Cath, the main character, is very relatable to anyone trying to discover who they are or to anyone trying to adjust to a new situation. Cath's twin sister, Wren, easily adjusts to college life and leaves Cath to fend for herself against a new roommate, a new room, new friends, and new classes. The only thing Cath has left over from the days they were joined at the hip is her fanfiction. Mixed in with a narrative of Cath's day to day activities are Cath's own writings based off of the "worldwide phenomenon" Simon Snow. The characters in these excerpts are just as real as the characters in the book. I found myself rooting for Cath in her new relationships and bumps along the road, but I also found myself rooting for Simon Snow fanfiction. Also, tied in with Cath's obsession with fanfiction is her college adventure. The book follows Cath as she makes new friends, good and bad, and forms new relationships. The romantic side of the book is a perfect serving of subtle. Fangirl is more of a coming of age story where the main character is trying to discover her identity outside of the fanfiction world than a romance. It has a little but of everything for everyone: humor, romance, tragedy, family, comfort, intrigue.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBetty L. January 28, 2014

Wonderfully written! The teen literature of today!

FANGIRL was a beautifully crafted story. The characters were so real, they could easily be someone in your family or your next door neighbor. The plot, I don't even know how Rainbow Rowell does it... A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! So effortlessly flowing and easy. A must-read! Rowell's books are the teen literature that will be loved and remembered!
Teen, 14 years old Written by1975emily October 14, 2014
Fangirl is honestly my favorite book ever. This book is probably better for teens. I would say that the youngest should be about 13 because I dont think they would understand the story at all or only a bit. Fangirl also involves some drinking and does contain quite a bit of swearing. Over all its an excellent book however I don't think it's best for kids 13 and under.
Kid, 12 years old September 9, 2014

Sweet and heart touching

I have read this book and would read it again and again. Cath is a lovely role model while her sister may not be. Cath is wise and careful about her decisions with boys and school while her sister may not be. As you see we are developing a pattern here of good and not as good attributes. So basically I think this book has portrayed great attributes while some parts are not as good as portraying these great attributes (eg: her sister) but over all this book is a delicate and much loved by me and most of my friends. I find the sexual scene in this book the total opposite of raunchy or edgy because you can feel that the two characters really love each other although the characters choose not to go all the way and stop when there tops are off so I think the scene is not a big hazard and is just a loving moment.
Teen, 14 years old Written byyoumundanefools August 16, 2014
Teen, 14 years old Written byperson654 June 12, 2014

Describes Fandom life perfectly

As a girl obsessed with bands and fanfiction, I can totally relate to Cath.
Teen, 13 years old Written bystarlliger October 21, 2014

I feel in love

This book is honestly one of my favorites. I've read it multiple times and it's still good. Although this book contains some strong language and minimal sexual activity, I believe that kids aged 13+ have the clear to read.
Teen, 13 years old Written byXinaTurtle August 12, 2015

Awesome book for ages ten plus

This book is amazing. There is really nothing bad in it at all. Their is quite a bit of cussing but that's it
Teen, 15 years old Written bybow_ties_are_cool October 26, 2015

A Wonderful Book

This is a great book. Not only can you relate to the characters but you can also fall right into the story. It is written in a way that anyone could enjoy it. I think anyone 14 and up could read this book and also if you have a very mature 12 or 13 year old I think it would be fine for them as well. I highly recommend reading this.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBasak June 2, 2015
Teen, 13 years old Written bylilypadawan February 21, 2015

A Masterpiece in Realism

Rainbow Rowell has written a novel that draws you into a world not so unlike our own. Rowell crafts a parody of today’s word of fandom, creating a satirical version of the Harry Potter series for which Cather writes fan fiction. This book immediately appealed to me from reading the summary alone, but after finishing the entire novel I not only admired it for its plot, but also its incredible pacing. Woven within the novel are excerpts from Rowell’s parody of Harry Potter, “Simon Snow,” whose concerns mirror those of Cather’s. Throughout the novel, Cather deals with her fan fiction despising professor who does not believe fan works are a legitimate art form. As fan fiction continues to rise in popularity, people continue to question this new form of writing much like they do in the novel. Seamlessly, Rowell compares her two fictional worlds within the novel to today; a feat which ensnared me in the novel. After finishing Fangirl, be sure to check out Rainbow Rowell's other novel, Eleanor and Park.
Kid, 11 years old August 24, 2016

one of my favorite books

Fangirl is definitely one of my favorite books. It features a a girl going into college and learning that her sister doesn't need to be her only friend. She is also a writer of fan fiction and is read by thousands. She is more the intraverted type so when her roommates boyfriend is nice and she starts to like him she doesn't know what to do. It makes her feel scared and feel disloyal to her sister who for so long has been the closest person in her life. I would highly recommend if you like books like the fault in our stars or Eleanor and park.