Parent reviews for Feed

Satire with a nice bite -- for mature teens.

Adult Written bytherealbill May 12, 2021

WASTE OF TIME !!!

I'm a teacher from Greensburrow Kentucky who read this Satinized Book. You may think that I'm overstating when I say this, but I'm not. I went on the audiobook and found out that they say [email protected]# 49 times, Sh%$ 112 times, and [email protected] 29 times. There are at least three different times with sexual content. Even if you take out all of these parts, the book is still horrible. It is wwaaaaaayyyy too fast paced, kinda like if you read 5 hours worth of a deranged teen's texts. The beginning kinda skips through introducing anybody, and I only really knew the narrator/main character's name on page 149. The middle of the book is still really bad, but it does slow down a little bit. It still reminds me of a run-on sentence that lasted 45 minutes. At the end, the little girlfriend dies from the Feed, and the boy basically rapes her. It is not sad, it's kinda like if someone you knew turned out to be Hitler and died. I had a couple of kids read this in the gifted program, which I teach, and I'm afraid that they might sue me. Once you take out all of the cussing and sex, even a kinda smart 1st grader might make a better book. I debated adding Educational Value on this because it could explain human anatomy. When reading this book, I just randomly started screaming. I live in a three story apartment, and the neighbors called the police multiple times. When the police arrived they asked about why I was screaming, and if anyone had to go to jail. I just said that the book was hurting me bad. The policeman kinda scoffed at me and picked up the book and read the back of the page. He then started screaming like a frickin banshee. The next day I locked the book in my refrigerator so it couldn't hurt me. I took it to the zoo and let the goats read it. They started screaming. I let a bunch of animals at the zoo read the book and they too started screaming in pain.The zookeeper yelled at me and called the police. I got charged for animal abuse. When I returned home from jail, my little kids asked me why I was so late. I told them that I had a big job interview and went to bed very early. At like 12:00 in the night, I heard screaming. Then I saw a little kid with the book in his hands. Please put that this helped you, do it for the kid.

Parent of a 13 and 13-year-old Written byMother of Teen Twins April 13, 2010

Feed is NOT Quality Food for Young Minds

If your child is interested in reading this book, I advise you to read at least a few pages yourself first and imagine listening to your child read it aloud with you. My twin thirteen year old twins were assigned Feed by MT Anderson as part of a reading circle for 8th grade language arts. They immediatly informed me of the inappropriate sexual content, the profusity of swear words, and their general disapointment in the pourly-written and weakly-executed storyline. Feed had been compared to other futuristic works such as 1984, Fahrenheit 451, and Ender's Game and has been awarded many honors. Feed does not merit such recognition. The value contained in the under-developed description of consumerism and technology of the future was hidden behind the mindboggling amount of bad words and crude references. Why is it that ever increasing numbers of teen book writers and publishers believe that our children and teens can't relate to a story unless it is filled with vulgarity? Our children and teens not only need but deserve literature that containes and models descriptive language that inspires civility, politeness, tolerence, understanding, and collaboration now and for their future. Let's be proactive and steer our kids to books that feed their minds and broaden their vocabulary in more meaningful ways.

Adult Written byAdultBean11 May 12, 2021

THE WORST BOOK EVER MADE

This book is absolute trash and I´m not kidding. I tried to read this book but I physically had to put the book down to protect my innocent mind form the sexual content and all of the cursing. One time my wife came home and saw me throwing the book against the wall repeatedly and left. She later asked me to explain the dent in the wall and I told her that I hated the book I was reading so much I threw it against the wall. The book had practically no plot and instead had sexual content and so many swear words that I could fill a page of them in every chapter. The plot could have been good but the way the author made it makes me wan to cry because its so bad. I have two beautiful little children and I can´t help but fear my children getting their hands on a Satanic book like this. This book is the type of book that juvenile delinquents would read and find too explicit. The only thing that made me keep reading this was that the library would let me keep the book after I told them that this book was not appropriate for anyone especially teens. The only reason I kept it was because I wanted to burn it after I read the first chapter. My wish came true and me and my wife took a day off on a Saturday and we burned it. We had a great time and poured gasoline on the book and burned it. My children loved roasting marshmallows above the fire. The message- Don´t read this God forsaken book.

Adult Written bydanevergreen May 12, 2021

IF YOU WANT TO WASTE YOUR TIME + MONEY, THIS BOOK IS FOR YOU!

If Feed looks appealing, even with the cover that is pretty much a thumb with two ears, you are wrong. I am a reading teacher for gifted students and I saw a few copies of Feed on sale that said the book was for teens. I thought, what a bargain and I bought the copies for some of my students. After they read the book and told me what it was about I realized I made a great mistake. I found out the book was filled with the f word, b word and many more on almost each page of the book! I can't believe that the author of the book made the book for teens! But that is not all. The book has multiple sex scenes that were so bad, while I was eating and reading I immediately lost my appetite and threw up all over the book. Leaving the sex and foul language behind, the story line is terrible because it is so predictable, the ending to me was obvious. It now appears to me that the book was on sale because it was trash. My student gave me an amazing idea to burn the book in a bomb fire. I guess the book was meant to be thrown in a fire because it went up in flames immediately. The kids loved the cookout over the burning book. The books purpose is more a fire starter than a book someone would read. Overall the book is trash and the author should be charged for disturbing the peace.

Parent of a 14-year-old Written bylittlem March 4, 2010

Innapropriate for any school reading program

I hated it. No positive message and fowl language throughout the book which is not needed to get the message across.

Parent of a 13-year-old Written bymomwhohatescrap October 14, 2013

%$#*@#

I mistakenly gave this to my 11 year old son for a school read. Recommended by the librarian for a sci-fi required book. (I have since found this great rating site due to this book) My son told me, after reading the whole thing, that there are clumps of swear words every 4-5 pages.
I know he may be hearing all these words at school, but that doesn't mean I want them in his face voluntarily. May have had a good message overall but not worth all the language.

Adult Written bylscooper December 6, 2010

stupid book, leaves you feeling deflated

over 150 uses of the f-bomb and sh-bomb, plus numerous other profanities, not laced, but drenched in the language. There are many other books with the same themes and messages but are not profanity laced. According to some of these posts all you have to do is listen to your teens to see that this is how they speak. I work in a high school and have teenagers in my home. Not all speak like this. Why do we need to drench them in filth to show them that filth is not good for them? There are too many other examples of good, enobling, enriching stories for our students to be spending time on. Like the Emperor's Clothes this drivel ultimately be shown for being nothing more than a sham - the latest attempt to 'wow' us because they can use bad language and everyone is standing around saying how wonderful it is. Take the language out and it is still a stupid story -- it is not uplifting, at the end you don't care about the characters, because they don't care about themselves either.

Adult Written byleah1246527 January 25, 2012

Boring

Im a sophomore who had to read this book for an english essay, and found it extremely boring. The use of language, I think, was one way the author tried to pull in teenagers. I would recommend you not reading this book and not waste your time on a completely stupid book.
Adult Written byverycriticalone January 4, 2010

To young

Why would a parent let their 14 year old read a book like this? It refrences to getting high or "in mal" which I personally dont want my teen being introduced to in such a manner as if it is good. also this novel contains swear words, and uses the lords name in vain. the age rating should be much higher like 16, and the book was not a good time consumer of my weekend

Adult Written byIHateFeed August 29, 2018

Its Boring and Predictable

People constantly are telling you this book is good however if you've read the book yes the ideas behind the book are good however the writing is counterintuitive and no reasoning behind it at all. M.T anderson wrote this book for teens yes but that doesn't excuse the ruth plot line and plainly obvious ending.
Adult Written bydanevergreen02 May 21, 2021

TRASH BOOK

Dont bother reading. it is trash and inapropreate for teens.

Adult Written byAmanda M. May 11, 2018

100% YES - Feed is the Modern Fahrenheit 451 or 1984

Feed encompasses several themes which are important for study at the secondary level. These themes include the degradation of literacy, environmental decay, consumerism, lack of meaningful relationships, the commercialization of everything, lack of individualism, the pressure of fashion trends, and a crippling dependency on technology. All of these themes are pervasive and relevant in the lives of secondary students, which is why Feed is a useful source of examination and reflection. By teaching this content, students are encouraged to question and investigate how these themes are reflected in their realities, propelling them towards social responsibility and civic participation.

Adult Written byJIDDINS September 1, 2016

An Easily Accessible Critique of Culture and Technology

If you are someone who is easily offended by "swear words", then you may want to pass up this book. However, if you are someone who can look past the "profanity" to the deeper message and critique of American culture, this work is an extremely valuable piece of contemporary literature.

I teach 8th grade students in an alternative school setting, so this book seemed a perfect fit. We had an open discussion about what defines sacred vs. profane. We talked about Andersen's decision to employ "profane speech" in the dialogue throughout the story, and the general consensus of the class was that the "profanity" was employed successfully by Andersen to make the work seem more realistic and accessible to a young audience. We even had some great discussions about America's cultural drift away from anything that could be considered "sacred" toward a completely "profane" reality. Andersen holds a cultural mirror up for us, and many of the traits we see reflected are anything but pretty. I was glad I made the decision to use this text in my classes and was encouraged by how receptive my students were to considering its overall themes and critiques!

(I didn't select any of the "Too much" buttons because I personally do not feel that Andersen's over-emphasis on profanity or consumerism, in particular, is unwarranted as far as his ultimate goals for the story go...)

Adult Written byAlabamaHSteacher April 12, 2013

A feed a warning or a promise? If you don't get it, then we ARE doomed...

This novel is set in a dystopian future where nearly everyone has been given a “feed” chip in his or her brains at the age of 6. Through this chip, the feed (similar to the internet) “suggests” things that the people should buy, say, think or even believe. Imagine a world where nearly everyone has basically been raised, not by caring and loving parents, but by a constant stream of media and information blasts from a large corporate entity whose only goal is profit. Children raised in this manner would have no idea how to think or express themselves without the help of his or her feeds. Although consistently being fed and entertained, the characters find themselves bored even in very unique places like the moon. Imagine how your own child would be if he or she was raised by the internet, corporations, cable TV, hollywood morals, and with few non commerical influences. Parental and religious involvement is nonexistent in the Feed world. Consequently, throughout novel the characters use various degrees of foul language and exhibt poor communication skills. Additionally, a few of the characters try to download a “mal” through their feed; similar to a drug reference. I feel that the verbal and situational episodes I have described are essential to understanding the overall theme of the novel and are not just for shock value; indeed, they are integral components of the book’s art. I think it is an appropriate and worthy text for study. Proper adult context and support should be given.

Adult Written byteacherreadermomy June 7, 2012

An important book - not just for teens

I thought this was a wonderfully executed book and very well written. The voice, that of a teenager in the distant future, is imaginative and convincing. Yes, there are many vulgar terms used, but remember the point of the book is that consumerism, vulgarity, and anti-intellectualism have continued to degrade our world and society. I agree, not all teens speak like those in the book, but our president doesn't speak like the one in the book either! The point is that language and intellect have degraded over time while consumer control by corporations has increased. I read this book just after re-reading Brave New World, and I think it is on par with that classic dystopian novel. The interesting thing about Feed is that the world is not described clearly for the reader. We need to piece together information about the future world by the clues that are given to us. Many questions are left unanswered and the ending is not a sunny one. But it is a cautionary tale, and I think that thinking teens 15 and up should get a great deal out of this book. Less able students might need a bit of guidance so they understand that this is satire, a comment on our consumer driven, technology loving culture and not a glorification of it. As for drinking and "going mal," those activities are portrayed realistically and the results are often not pretty. Kids can read about negative activities without imitating them, if they are encouraged to examine and think about what they are reading.
This would be a great book for teens and parents to read together and discuss. It might get everybody in the family to reexamine their behavior in regards to apathy, language, consumption, and care of the environment. I think this is a fine piece of writing and deserves wide attention.

Adult Written byMomtoabunch April 20, 2012

Knock down the trees to build an oxygen factory.

I had my students read this book as part of a book club several years ago. We followed up with lessons on consumerism and advertising. I still see many of these kids and they still talk about that book. Often to wonder if we're getting closer to that dystopic society being constantly attached to the internet via phones, ipods, etc.

The language is foul, but points to decline of the mentality of the society. They no longer need to think, because it is done for them. Without discernment who is to know what is right or wrong?

I found it to be a good read for my students with a message they have continued to remember and appreciate. And, not one of them has become a potty mouth.

Adult Written byindychaser March 28, 2012

Reasons behind the bad

There is a lot of cursing in this book and the first time I read it it really turned me off, but he second time I read it (for an English class) I saw the value behind it, showing the death of language due to the use of non verbal communication. The book is very educational and a good starting point for discussions about a disposable society and consumerism. The book is sad, and was more thought provoking than entertaining to me, but I would even read it again.

Adult Written bytboyce4 February 12, 2012

Future educator- This book is a prime example of the realness of teens' thinking today.

I am a student in college who was assigned to read this book for my Young Adult Literature class. I beleive that this book is the ultimate choice for a young adult; come on parents, your kids aren't as naive as kids were in the older days. They know about sex,drugs,alcohol, etc., even if you don't want to subject them into knowing about it chances are they already do. Feed is a prime example about how teenagers feel and some emotions that they may be feeling. No, this isn't a good book for great role models or a positive outlook,but thats how teens are feeling these days. They arent skipping in a field of flowers anymore, they are experiencing more horrible things at a earlier and earlier age. So when seeing that your child is reading this book or if your an educator who is on the edge, I would say please do. Teens need to experience the realness of this book and direct them to making better choices than the teenagers in this book.

Adult Written byfreethinker December 28, 2011

Satire about media, consumerism, and meaningful relationships

This book is a fantastic opportunity to discuss the impact of social media, advertising, and commercialization on our lives and planet. This satirical novel explores what might happen when the internet feed -- think google combined with facebook, and tons of ads -- becomes a part of our bodies. Earth is dying and exploited, and the natural world is completely different. The language and activities are not ideal, but the point is that when you can get whatever you want, whenever you want, you're just hunting for the next source of gratification. That makes lives and relationships shallow and meaningless. This book does not glorify sex, cussing, violence, or drugs: if you understand the message, you see that Anderson wants us to value eloquence, meaningful connection with other human beings, and appreciate the gifts of nature. This book would make a phenomenal classroom text, or a great book for parents to read with teens if they want to discuss media and consumerism. Too young and the message might fly right past them: stick to older teens so they really get the satire and can relate to the characters.
Adult Written byCiciMarie November 7, 2011

Not too bad, not great either.

I thought that FEED was a decent book. You can't just judge it by its language. Yes, there is a lot of swearing. If you do not care to read a lot of swear words, then don't read it. I would not suggest this book for anyone younger than 16. There is many things in this book that involve swearing and sexual content.
In reading this book, you can't think too hard about how "dumb" it may seem. Try to find a message. I mean, it really isn't a horrible book.
The book greatly exaggerates modern-day problems. It is written from a teen's point of view, by an older man, but it is too extreme. However, I don't think that that is what he was trying to show.
I did not love this book, but it wasn't horrible either. I was okay with reading it.