Kid reviews for Feed

Satire with a nice bite -- for mature teens.

Teen, 13 years old Written byjoedyey January 29, 2020

trash, all positive reviews are WRONG!!!!

wanted to burn book so bad the girl who "fights" the computer in their head just looks at buying a spotlight and a wagon and she is annoying, i wanted to punch her, so boring characters are boring i predicted the end after the secind or third chapter

Teen, 13 years old Written byW M September 30, 2018

Good idea but not the best story

The idea of people having chips in their head determining the way they do things, act, live, and etc, is a really creative storyline. However I think he author went about it in the wrong way. This book has so much potential and it was basically a waste. You don’t have to say the F course five times in a row for people to understand your frustration. Also, I read the common sense ratings before I read this book and they said there was no sex. However, in the end, someone is convincing another to have “it”, saying she has tried it once. (What?!) I don’t mind that much it’s just that I usually come to common sense to find out what I’m going to be reading about and I was surprised that they said there was no sex b/c I would say that there is.

Teen, 16 years old Written bymemelord237 December 15, 2017

I despise this book

Reading this book for class, and I can't even begin to describe how terrible I find this book. Sure, the idea of the feed being with us at all times is interesting, and the fact that kids can travel to other planets whenever they want is AMAZING, but the characters seem so...dull. Titus is bored by EVERYTHING! what's the point of it? Why not describe what the moon is like now? How they made it possible to travel to MARS and not die. I don't want to read a boring book about a boring character who's BORED CONSTANTLY. That's..boring.
Also, the fact that all of the males (ESPECIALLY TITUS) seem to sexualize violet makes me incredibly upset. Teens have interests other than getting high and having sex, you know. Why not follow the story from Violet's view, or even LINK?

I don't want to say too much, just know that this book is trash.

Teen, 16 years old Written byT4te January 25, 2017

Don't judge this book based on the language

Yes, I understand the concern of foul language used in this book. I also understand the concern of the inappropriate content. However, there is a lot more to this book than the bad language. If you've read the entire book and analyzed the text, you'll understand that this book gives a lot of deep messages about consumerism, resisting society's dominant culture, humans and the natural world, and so much more. You have to look deep into the text, read in between the lines. It provides thought provoking themes. You can challenge yourself to resist the feed like it says in the book. Also, the book is written the way it is because it makes sense for the narrator of the story and the setting he is placed in. I recommend reading the entire book and analyzing the text before assuming it is garbage because of the foul language and subjects used in the book.
Teen, 14 years old Written byglassdragonfly May 29, 2020

terrible

ffed sucked, the languig was hard to understand and the message was not clear. over all boring do not read
Teen, 17 years old Written byfushipa May 2, 2017

Boring and undeveloped story

Honestly, there was not a single aspect that I enjoyed about this book. There was not an ounce of character development, and the stereotypical way in which Anderson portrayed the teens made me cringe. Nothing is ever really explained in the book, leaving the reader with only a hazy sense of what is going on. While the idea behind the novel is actually quite interesting, the book itself is nothing more than a dull love story.

Kid, 10 years old February 21, 2015

Scarred For Life

I read this book when I was 10. I probably shouldn't have and now I am scarred for life. I think that common sense media is about right at 14. There are lots of references to drugs and I don't remember it even going a paragraph without a bad word.

Teen, 14 years old Written byBookReader1411 February 24, 2021

Not the best book for younger people.

I had to read this book in one of my classes during high school. It is a very confusing book to read, and it has some language and action that is not very appropriate. The idea of the book is pretty descent, but the way its told, along with the inappropriate language and actions of the characters makes it a very hard book to read.
Teen, 16 years old Written bychelleee July 16, 2017

not quite what i was expecting

The characters were not developed and were incredibly boring. Besides the main character, Violet, I wasn't very interested.
Teen, 15 years old Written byl'hommerun April 16, 2013

For Mature, Clever, Literary-Minded Teens Who Liked Brave New World

A large amount of these reviews focus solely on the profanity used in Feed. The profanity is not "thrown in" as a ploy to attract young readers, yet is used purposefully to illustrate the degree to which society has crumbled. This is most obvious (spoiler alert) when Titus' father comes to visit him in the hospital. Instead of being at least a semblance of a parent, his father is essentially an older Titus (or any person from this society): flustered and confused, unable to think by himself. This immaturity is emphasized by his rampant use of language while talking to his son. I personally did not pay attention as much to the profanity (as it was used with well-founded purpose, as stated), but instead, the opposite of the society as personified by Violet Durn, the true protagonist. She is witty, passionate, brave, and tragically ignored to her dying breaths. The characters are flawed, but this makes it all the easier to learn from their mistakes, some of which we are making, on a smaller scale, in our modern age (reliance on media, addiction to constant entertainment, consumerism so unrestrained that the environmental havoc it wreaks is largely overlooked, attention to trivialities such as celebrity gossip). M.T. Anderson's Feed is a distorted and magnified view of the world we live today- the endless suburbs, miles of shopping malls, constant advertisements and pollution are relatable. I would recommend this powerful warning-sign of a novel to any clever, observant teen mature enough to handle moderate language and dystopia.

Teen, 14 years old Written byforniteragekid October 30, 2020

Insightful but sometimes not enojoyable

This book is great, but not something I see my self reading on my own . It has a lot of educational value but doesn't make you feel good at any point in the book. A lot of the time I wanted to swing a wild haymaker at Titus because he is a world star clown. This was a good decision though because it made violet a lot more likeable which makes the book overall good.

Teen, 14 years old Written byNG13 October 30, 2020

Well written but dark and lonely

It was well written. Sad, dark, and lonely. Good dystopian book. Ends on a cliffhanger. Good for discussion and lit circles. Not a feel-good book.

Kid, 12 years old October 23, 2019

Why?????

It is too much horror and sex and drugs but i love this book because i have no fears of horror movies

Teen, 16 years old Written byermills0601 February 21, 2018

This book is an Iceberg.

At the surface, this book is boring, cliche, and just not worth the read. If you were to read this book without looking for the bigger meaning you are going to think its dumb. The book is meant to be satirical and show what our possible technology heavy future will be like. With teenagers who are so enthralled with technology, I think for teens that will understand the deeper meaning, this is a great book.

Teen, 16 years old Written byKalebWatsonSTHS March 8, 2017

Don't Feed this story to young children.

I think that this book is a great satirical look at American society that can entertain those who don't always enjoy reading. It doesn't just stop at the message either it has well developed characters, and a vivid environment. The characters act like actual humans not fictional characters. There is so much detail in the futuristic world of Feed that is just being begged to explored by the reader. Feed has an anti capitalism and anti technology message that doesn't just tell you that those things are bad instead you have to look a bit deeper than whats being said. The only thing that parents should worry about is the character is very vulgar, drinks a lot, is suggested to take drugs, and there is a very short "sex" scene. Very well written books like this are rare and the swearing, substance abuse, and very short sexy scene shouldn't be to much for someone 13 and over.

Teen, 16 years old Written byLindsayRae January 31, 2017

Great Book

I think that 15 is a good age to read Feed by M. T. Anderson. This book teaches lessons such as the value being aware of what's happening in the world and dangers of conforming without thinking. Feed also features profanity and mature situations but at 15 it's pretty likely that you're aware of most of the situations and have heard most of the swear words in the book. Feed also has very unique characters, Violet and Titus. Two teenagers that are very different.
Violet wants to make a difference and fight the Feed but Titus doesn’t see what's wrong with the feed and could careless about the world. Throughout the book they change each other for the better. Feed has taught me to not just turn a blind eye on what's happening in the world. I think that Feed is a great book that teaches kids valuable lessons.
Teen, 15 years old Written byjerm2000 January 31, 2016

Kid, 11 years old April 2, 2013

Great Book!

This book is very interesting and it has a very good positive message about consumer marketing! :)

Teen, 15 years old Written byflakita012 August 15, 2012

what i think of the book

it is a very good book i myself did not expect to like it but fell in love with the book the book is about 298 pages not that long but has good messages in the book it also teaches us about what to look out for in life because we never know what/who is out there and what their capable of.

Teen, 14 years old Written byMovieWizard April 28, 2012

worth every second...

i had to read this for school and i thought it was amazing! it really puts a new twist on humanity.