Kid reviews for Flying Lessons and Other Stories

Riveting collection reflects common dreams, struggles.

No reviews yetAdd your rating

Teen, 14 years old Written byVeronica Falls September 12, 2018

A diverse book that seems good at a first glance but is in fact rubbish

Flying Lessons and other stories is a boring collection of diverse short stories from notable teen authors. I read this book while in the Chicago Battle of the Books program. The stories featured in Flying Lessons are commercial feel good stories that give a shallow glimpse into the lives of their characters. I find the first three stories to be acceptable primarily because they are the only stories in this book that stuck with me at all. From the aggravating Secret Samantha to the uninspired Beans and Rice Chronicles of Isaiah Dunn this book is filled with cliche stories that have slight dramatic twists. This is yet another dreadful young adult book that has manged to bring in quite a lot of money simply because it flaunts its status as a diverse book. I am sick and tired of young adult authors specifically giving their books diverse status in order to sell more and not focusing on actually creating a meaningful story. Their are of course exceptions to this rule, such as Kwame Alexander who makes a decent appearance in this book. But instead Flying lessons boasts about it's diverse status and multitude of authors and leaves the reader with a poorly developed book that I would not recommend.

Educational Value
Kid, 10 years old August 19, 2018

Confusing

I don't think these stories are appropriate for my age. I don't understand them, I can't remember them and many of them are boring. They are confusing. The sexual orientation makes me uncomfortable.