All parent member reviews for Found: The Missing, Book 1

Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bypeony February 5, 2009

Great fun: engaging suspense, with very little violence

This is a catchy, very fun read, likely to appeal even to non-enthusiastic readers. And it has little violence, and some nice characters and family relationships! There's a good relationship between Jonah (adopted) and his (non-adopted) younger sister, Katherine, who has her own important role in the story. And Jonah's parents are presented as loving, concerned, conscientious parents -- though of course they're left in the dark about much of what Jonah is doing -- standard for kid stories as if the parents knew the full details, they'd never let the kids have the adventures! There's a vein of humor where despite Jonah's "Aww, Mom!" teenage reaction to his parents' shelf of books with titles like "Raising the Well-Adjusted Adopted Child", he repeatedly finds himself parroting that same material to his friend Chip who had been left in the dark about his own adoption. (Parents might want to be aware that Chip, with Jonah's help, opens up his parents' home safe to get into their papers to try to find out more about his own adoption -- might want to talk about that aspect of the book with your own kids.) I also very much like the scene where Jonah's parents help him talk with an FBI agent who may know some secrets about Jonah's background: when the FBI agent tries to intimidate them into dropping the investigation, with threatening implications about the legality of Jonah's adoption and immigration status, Jonah's upset parents politely but bravely and firmly resist intimidation. And Jonah's father subsequently tells Jonah, "That man has evidently forgotten he's supposed to be a servant of the people...". I also find the central conceit of the plot rather touching in a way, reminding me of John Varley's "Air Raid" story/"Millenium" novel. Towards the end, Jonah has to make his own choice about what is right, while two groups of adults are trying to persuade him. I'm eager to see where the rest of the series goes! I'd recommend for ages 9 and up, due to the intensity and suspense.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 April 6, 2012

found

just bad
Parent Written byilovemydaughter August 2, 2011

My Questions

What are some physical characteristics of Jonah, Chip, and Katherine that are told throughout the story? My daughter is confused about that detail and we already returned the novel to the public library so she does not remember for a project she has to do.
Parent of a 13 and 13 year old Written byMommeuv4 March 9, 2011

This is part of a series that should be read in order. I don't believe it's. Book for a 9 yo unless they are already avid readers.
Adult Written byOriginal February 8, 2011

This book is amazing!!!

Oh my gosh! I just finish this book and I love it! I'm dying to reead the next book but I don't know where to find it!
Adult Written byKWooddell September 24, 2010

Glaring product placement mars so-so narrative

Am having a hard time finishing this book as the product placement has become so noticeable. I totally disagree with your "some brands mentioned" dismissal of such blatant commercial pitches to chidren in the special time that reading ought to be.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bykteveleigh September 8, 2010

not so good for 8- but good for 8+

WOW! what a great book! I promise you will love the book
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written bymadaboutus June 8, 2010

Interesting plot and twists

Parent of a 5, 12, 15, and 16 year old Written byjacquie15 May 10, 2010

Perfect for anyone ages 9-109!

Good book. A little violent but nothing too descriptive. Interesting plot with tons of surprises and things you'll never see coming!
Parent of a 6, 8, and 11 year old Written byGalloway Mom March 29, 2010

Loved this book!

I am a mom and read this book because my son is doing a book report on it. I absolutely could not put it down once I started reading it. I cannot wait to read Book 2, Sent.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byrosie is found October 23, 2009

it is for eveyone

it is awesome because it is positive and it is a really exiting book because i did not want 2 stop
Adult Written byelate April 9, 2008

Best book ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best book I have ever read!