All parent member reviews for Freak the Mighty

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written byReverendDad October 4, 2010

4-year old witnesses dad strangle mom, then dad attacks him later... Hey kids, bedtime story???

Who are the parents who think it's "good" for their child to be exposed to a father who murdered his wife in cold blood by strangling her to death in front of their 4-year old son? The son recounts the events of that horrible night shortly after a woman frees him from the chair where his father has bound him hand and foot and gagged him, only to have the father return unexpectedly and begin strangling yet another woman, graphically choking the life out of her. Once the boy, our main character, reveals that he witnessed his father murder his mother, good ol' dad begins to strangle HIM, too, and the children who are the target audience get to read from a young man's perspective what it's like to be strangled nearly to death. Unbelievably raw portrayals of blind rage and a murderous father who willingly kills first the mom and then attempts to strangle the son. Who thought this was a good idea for children???
Parent Written byBelieveInBooks October 14, 2013

Freak the Mighty Too Coarse, Violent and Graphic for Young Readers

I believe that the graphic imagery of Killer Kane keeping his son tied up and the son witnessing him trying to kill Loretta by strangling her, as he, (Kane), had also done to the mother, is an image too difficult for students younger than high school to process. The image of Max pleading with his daddy to get off of Loretta while reliving the same manner of murder of his mother at the hands of his father, is one that I even as an adult kept playing over and over in my head like a movie, trying to rationalize it, as one would after witnessing a horrific event in person. However, you can't rationalize violence. While I am not a book banner in any way, I do think that some topics are fine presented in one fashion, but may not be acceptable when presented in another fashion, for certain age groups. We have struggled for years with the balance of a child needing a high reading level but the concepts in those books being above his maturity level. Frankly, some books have themes and content with which I don't think even we adults should clutter our brains. There are other wonderful books out there that deal with these same themes in a less troubling manner. We are a family with one child with a disability and so I understand partly why the author tried to present some of these related ideas, but I think the coarseness of life throughout and violence overshadows any positive message that might otherwise be gleaned by the reader. Most readers imagine themselves as the main character of a book, while reading it. Children reading Freak the Mighty, will imagine themselves in the position of Max, seeing their fathers kill their own mothers and another woman by strangulation, among other in appropriate content of this book. From now on, I am reading my child's assigned school books from cover to cover.
Adult Written bytheatreteach September 12, 2009

I absolutely loved this story. It has great messages for readers of all ages. It deals with a lot of issues, such as friendship, myth and reality, death, and disabilities.
Adult Written byAngel5768 April 9, 2008

I fell asleep it was so boring

This book is so boring i fell asleep while reading it! It actually starts to get olay at the very end of the book though. Very sad and even a sad ending!
Parent Written bycnewhard March 27, 2012

A Mighty Message

I love this book and I have read it with or to my students in 3rd through 6th grade. They loved the book and really related to the characters.
Parent of a 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 17 year old Written byKaceygurl123 November 18, 2010

Amazing, touching book!

This book is a really touching book about 2 special boys. For all of you people saying it's too violent for little kids. Why are you reading it to little kids?? Of course, it's too violent for 5 yr olds! Anyway if you are complaining it's too violent for 9 yr olds, then why do all the teachers read it to the kids?
Adult Written byjohnsmith78 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bydylandog July 8, 2010

Freak & Max Are The Mighty

I loved this book. It was funny & sad and it was kind of a Mystery Drama type of book. The book is manily about Freak & Max's lifes. FREAK THE MIGHTY.
Adult Written bykanda December 2, 2009

great great i am reading it at school and im only 12
Adult Written byMonkeuQ117 April 9, 2008
Parent Written byruthc1 March 10, 2015

This book is not for younger children and whilst they may be able to read the words, the content and language is americanised . I therefore introduces discriminatory language and inapporpriate content for younger children. This book also deals with subjects which require emotional intelligence .

read novels and books which enthuse a child's imagination allowing escape and fantasy - murder, death, drugs ..... they often need to escape from all these issues in everyday life.
Parent of a 10 and 14 year old Written byPapipower01 November 16, 2014

Great story to inspire sensitivity and courage

Both of my children have read this book in the 5gh grade. My son first and he loved the story and later watched the film. He has cleared his shelves of many books he has read over the years but kept this one and when my daughter had a book report to do this year, he lent it to her. She loved the book and read through it in a couple of sittings. Like my son, she was eager then to see the film. I have seen others' post concerns about the violence, the language use to describe Kevin and Max ("cripple"), etc. By 10, most children have already encountered an awareness that the world is not perfect for everyone in it. Some kids come from places that we can't understand and which impact how they are in the world. This book did a lot to inspire my kids to consider a little about the world that others around them inhabit and to remember kindnesses and cruelties that we can all participate in. Themes of friendship and overcoming feelings of isolation and poor self-image were much more prominent elements that were taken away than fears of killers, abuse, and un-p.c. language. As Loretta says, "Doing nothing's a drag, kid." Do something...sit down and enjoy Max's retelling of his adventures as a Knight of round table. You might follow this up with another novel: Wonder (but that's another review!)
Adult Written bySpoon girl 23 May 31, 2012

Freak the Mighty

I personally loved this book it touched my heart, but I do think if your rating like a movie it would be PG or PG-13. I would either make sure you as a parent know what type of book they are reading or you read it with them. For all of those young readers out their I would say if you are 10 and under try and stay away from this book.
Adult Written bylex_co_inc April 9, 2008

INSPIRING.

This is the absoulute best book i have evr read in my life. But, i think Rodman could have made it a bit longer. Also, if they made a current movie about it that would be great. I recomment this buuk to everyone of any age.
Adult Written byread2kids April 9, 2008

a great emotional roller coaster

I am a school librarian and my sixth graders hang of every word. They have gone through a roller coaster of feelings. Although the language is rough,the relationship forged between freak and mighty is priceless.
Adult Written byG3 April 9, 2008

Adult Written byJoshua.Yu28 April 9, 2008

Its...ok.

It thought that this book was ok. It wasn't that violent I guess, but it can sorta help kids that are a bit more mature to understand how violent strangers can be, and what to stay away from.
Adult Written byMikura April 9, 2008

a book fit for little kids n not teens

it was an okay book, but it was sort of confusing at first though then got easier to understand.