Parent reviews for From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

Attention to detail makes adventure satisfying.

Adult Written byBlue-Bunny November 20, 2011

Enjoyable...

If anything, this is one of the most enjoyable books I've read.

Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byJamie and James March 14, 2010
I loved this book. Geez, if you think this book is inappropriate, you should see some other books out there. Again, my favorite book. My family has read it together tons of times!

Parent Written byMonicaMom December 31, 2016

Great book; a few things to talk about with children

There are so many reviews everywhere about this amazing book, I won't bother to write another one. I will add one thing that for some reason is not mentioned at all here, because as a parent I feel this is one point of this site and is what I look for as a parent and educator: The children find a chocolate bar and the boy eats it. They talk about the possibility of it being poisoned or containing marijuana, and briefly talk about marijuana and "dope dealers" getting kids hooked on drugs. This might be scary and/or confusing for younger children and parents should talk with children about drugs while/before reading the book. It's not a big deal but I don't feel as though this should be a young child's first introduction to drugs if they're reading this book at a young age. (I don't feel that this book has too much about drugs, but I do feel that it's too much for young children to read about without any talk about this at all.)

Drinking, drugs & smoking
Adult Written bysmitcherflobgirl April 9, 2008

It was a good book!

It is a good book to do a school report on for 5th or 6th graders.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 8, 2014

Smart kids, but not smart-alecks

Absolutely wonderful story by the inimitable Konigsburg. The relationship between practical Claudia and parsimonious Jamie is affectionate yet realistic: they insult each other yet appreciate each others' strengths, and it takes both of them to solve the mystery at the heart of their quest. Kongisburg had a gift for presenting intelligent, likable children with distinct voices and personalities: also see "The B'nai Bagels", and "Jennifer Hecate, Macbeth William MCkinley and Me Elizabeth".

Positive messages
Adult Written byLindsey C. September 1, 2017
Great book. The two main characters are well-educated and model a love of learning. Uses a broad vocabulary which may be tricky for some. References "marijuana" and "dope addict" on pg.75
Parent Written byCSM Screen name... December 8, 2015

Fantasic for Kids

It is a very good book, I think that all kids should read it. If you are interested in art and culture, this book is a good book for you!!

Positive messages