Kid reviews for Geekerella: Once Upon a Con, Book 1

Geekerella: Once Upon a Con, Book 1 Poster Image

No reviews yet.

Add your rating

Geeky, fangirly fun!

The author did great with this book and the Starfield universe. I appreciated the switch between pov's , which helped clear up confusion for the reader and leave us on edge to see what the characters would do. It wasn't my favorite, but definitely memorable and sweet.

1 person found this helpful.

The AMAZING, Quirky Redo of Cinderella

I found this as I was looking at my recommendations a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure I finished the book in one session. It's a quirky and enjoyable remix of Cinderella. I loved this geeky take and the two POVs between Darien and Elle. The characters were funny and the whole 'Con' theme/setting. I've read the entire series in the 'Once upon a con' series and this is on the top of my recommendations for just, all round, amazing novels to read on a rainy day or anywhere really. As a MASSIVE fangirl myself, I loved how Ashley created the Starfield shows and fandom with its own sayings and views. It just adds something so unique to the stories and another of many reasons to re-read it. If you've never read it, go get this book now! Look to the stars, aim, IGNITE! /m/

Once Upon A Con, book 1

It was a good book! It's not as good as book three (Bookish and the Beast), but it was still good! So really the extent of the romance is flirting. They text for a while, like most of the book and don't meet each other till the end. When they do Elle doesn't know it, but she does discover it. And they kiss some and other characters hold hands, but really it's all sweet except for that one part where Darien gets knocked over by a fan trying to kiss him. They do cuss, but it' spread throughout the book not everywhere in it. It doesn't seem like overall it was a lot, but when reading it it did seem like a lot. The violence is the whole Cinderella being treated bad thing and at the end there is a fight between Dairen and Brian (his old best friend who betrayed him). An d there are details and at the end they fall 10 ft. off a balcony cause Darien ran at him and shoved him not realizing they were at the edge till it was too late. But there are good messages of being yourself and not letting other people control you or bring you down! Oh and there is not really drugs, Elle's stepsister (only Chloe) says that Sage is a druggie and her stepmom later does too. Sage is most definitely not she is nice and a good role model far as being who you are goes! Not sure you should follow her example of driving a food truck over bushes into a country club though!!!!!!

Adorable, nerdy romance!

Every nerdy teen should read this amazing romance novel! I was really able to identify with Ella; she's a great role model, and teens can be inspired by how she isn't afraid to express her true, nerdy personality. I loved how passionate she was about the Starfield fandom. There was hardly any bad language in this book, and there was just the perfect amount of romance present (nothing more than a few kisses). I highly recommend this book to everyone, and I think that nerdy teens would especially love it.

I'm A FANGIRL of this book

I personally really love this book,I am twelve and think this book is great. Usually I get bored reading Cinderella stories,but this is romantic ,funny, and I am fangirling over this book. I think any age 11 and up can read this,twelve would be a good age but also for some 11 year olds. It honestly depends on the maturity ,if your teen/tween knows not to go around cussing or that they should it talk about being"sexy" its ok. Edit: I finished the book,you can call me a geek or a nerd but I don't care,I cried when the book ended.

Amazing!!!!

This book was REALLY good. I loved all the real-life references and the connections I could make. The romance was a really good amount, and in general, this book was AWESOME! Don't be discouraged by the title :)

Geekerella was definitely the right title

This was quite the interesting book. It was cute/geeky/fangirl/comic book? There are several swear words throughout the book. Most of the characters are straight, but some of them are gay. I rated this for 15 and up because I feel like others should know about the swear words and kissing scenes and gay persons. It all just depends on how you personally view those things.

omg this book was amazing!

the reason i enjoyed this geeky book, is because it is geeky and STUPID! absolutely one of the stupidest books i have ever read in all my entire history of reading chapter books! but, readers, don't you dare get me wrong on this; it was a stupid book in a GOOD way. and entertaining way that kept me captured till page 320!! :) and why it took me FIVE days to read 320 pages? well, don't blame me, but i have been VERY BUSY these past five days, and now that i am done Geekerella, i will read Tower of Dawn by SJM. read it? anyway, i am reviewing Geekerella, not SJM books!! ha ha. to sum Geekerella up, i really, really liked Darian Freeman, i kinda liked Ella, and i though her friend Sage was weird. I loved Darian's personal assistant, Gail (i never knew that Gail was a unisex name) and i disliked very much Darian's mean father, Mark. (sorry, Mark!-LOL) so i would say the only people in the book i really liked, were Darian and Ella. in the beginning, i did not really like Ella, but i did when she accidentally slammed a door really hard into Darian's nose and almost broke it. that was kind of funny. also, i like Ella's hot-hotheadedness, and how Darian would act so cool around all those fans. (they were all girls ha ha! i really liked the part where the girl with bikini bottoms and with a shirt that said: "i'll meat you at the cove" or something like that, runs onto stage where Darian was and lip locked him. it was really funny and stupid. Darian thought he would choke on her tongue! so funny! he nik-named her 'fishmouth.' laugh all you want, guys!!!) i loved this book, and you readers should read it. it get's really interesting in the end, everybody!

Once Upon a Con

I'm one of those people who goes to the book store and has to get a basket just to hold all of their books. So, I walked into to Barnes and Noble the other day and picked this up with my usual stack of books. I sat down in the cafe with my drink and began reading. I must confess that my fangirl heart fell in love. With Elle, with Darien . . . The book alternates back and forth between Elle's and Darien's POV (which I think is positively brilliant, as it allows the reader to glimpse into both of their lives and to really understand what they are feeling.) So, plot synopsis: This is the classic Cinderella story with a twist: everything is incredibly dorky! Elle loves this sci-fi show called Starfield, it has everything a good sci-fi should have: A space prince, an alien king, and a heart-wrenching ending. She grew up watching it with her dad. Her dad even starts a Convention for it. But then her mom died and her dad remarried. But it gets worse: her dad dies leaving her with her evil stepmom and stepsisters. This is where the book picks up, filling in the details as it goes. Darien was just a regular fanboy until his dad gets him a role in a teen soap opera. From there his acting career takes off, eventually landing him a spot in the reboot of Starfield. This book was a very smooth read, one of those books that makes you want to keep reading. It's been a long time since I stayed up so late reading. It's been longer since I've read a book three times back to back. All in all I loved this book, and really identified with it, however I was disappointed with the language in the book. It's relatively infrequent and mostly mild, but it's the reason I gave this book a higher age rating. Elle's stepsisters can be mean, but this is a Cinderella story after all. There is mention of drugs, although the book has nothing to do with it, and there are a few innuendos, but again, this is not graphic, nor lingered upon. Elle responds well to many of the difficult situations she is put in. Darien doesn't get a big head despite his many fans, and struggles to hold onto himself amid teenage stardom. Both of them do their best to be kind to everyone (with a few exceptions) Elle and Darien help each other through difficult times and remind each other that they are not alone. I hope this review helped you make your decision, and happy reading! Look to the stars. Aim. Ignite. \m/

THIS BOOK IS PERFECT FOR GEEKS LIKE ME :)

This book was absolutely amazing. The main character, Elle represents me perfectly, she is geeky, loves attending cons and is an all around fangirl. My only issue with this book is it does contain slight swearing...which only comes up a few times in the book and the mention of drugs. Even though this book does not have anything to do with drugs/drinking or smoking it does have a few mentions of drugs which I would would younger kids about. But overall this is one of my favourite new novels -which I would definitely recommend to anyone!