All parent member reviews for Ghostgirl

Adult Written bystarsandtopsoil December 23, 2009

camouflaged guidebook of horrors

Don't judge a book by it's cover. It's a lesson I ( and certainly a lot of you) learned again with this one. At first I was surprised to read some fragments of good poetry and the mention of a good band. But soon I got dissapointed. With the promise of a good ghost story, the only thing thing the writer wanted to achieve is this "gothic"feeling to it.She was trying too hard and it was all over the place. Readers should not care about all the band names that ever existed, but about this girl called charlotte.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bysupermonkeyrobot October 9, 2011

bgkjxdhgklvdsz

Really come on this language is not okay *ss, d*ckhead and maybe f**k is okay but the rest is not I have not read this book because it sounds gay really a dead girl climbs into bed with a guy backwards R*PE.
Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written byamnatemom August 9, 2010

Not meant for Tweens, Meant for Kids in HS

LANGUAGE IS NOT APPROPRIATE FOR CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 16. We bought this book thinking it would be a good read for our daughter who is 12. It was in the junior section of our store and I have never had problems with books in that area. I normally monitor everything that she reads yet I thought this would be safe. I prefer my 12 yr old not to be subjected to the language and sexual undertone that is meant in some of the jokes. To rate this as appropriate for 13 yrs old is not even a good idea. Maybe I have on blinders but I do not want her reading material that is meant for older teenagers. This book needs to be taken out of the junior section and needs and explicit lyric label on it like the CDs have.
Parent of an infant, 8, and 9 year old Written byGoodyGoody1 January 25, 2010

VERY BAD BOOK FOR ANY GIRL OF ANY AGE. NOT RECCOMMENDED

WORSE THAN BAD..this book has a SHALLOW content, it's an empty shell. The amount of swear words is disgusting, poor bad taste, suggestions of suicide, suggestions of sexually active young girls, everything you don't want your kid to be or do it's in this book. IT DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE READ BY ANYBODY! I bought it for my 9 year old girl, who is an avid reader, and she pinpointed all the bad things going on here..me and my husband sat down and gave the book a more through inspection and we were disgusted, and threw this junk in the garbage can!..It did not deserve to be given away to ANYBODY.
Adult Written byKatiexoxox June 24, 2009

I read it and i agree with a previous review that the writing isn't that good. It is sort of suspenseful but could be better. If I can remember, there was a lot of dialogue. Not very descriptive but, hey, the quotes and graphics are good, like poetic, i guess.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bypeony March 2, 2009

Great concept, but the writing comes up short

Great concept, really sharp graphic design on the book, good looking website, and the author's background in TV writing shows in the pacing and scene setups: it could probably make a good movie. But the writing is a big disappointment: cliched and clunky use of language. The book is attempting black humor, and in terms of setting up humorous situations and scenarios, it has some success: for instance, "Dead Ed". But the attempts at one-liners and comebacks just aren't funny, for my taste, but rather vulgar and lacking in imagination: it isn't black humor if it isn't first funny. And since I didn't find them funny, the insults based on eating disorders, wrist-slashing, underage pregnancy, menstruation, etc., were just unpleasant for me. However, if you find jr. high type insults funny, this book may work a lot better for you; and I suppose that to the intended audience, this may indeed be the case. The characterization and motivations for the characters are also rather flat and limited. I'll grudgingly say 3 stars, since I did want to see how the story turned out, even though the writing style made me wince. But for much better books with an after life theme, see instead Repossessed, by A. M. Jenkins, which has more explicit sex talk but a much sweeter heart, or The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman, which is just excellent.