Parent reviews for Go Ask Alice

Go Ask Alice Poster Image

Just another cheesy scare tactic

Yes, the message is a good one but this is the kind of cheesy book where an adult tries to write from a teen’s perspective. This book would be assigned on the syllabus of a high school health class and all the students would laugh at it if they even bothered to read it. It is strangely written and it is so painfully obvious that it was only written to spook kids out of doing drugs. It’s stereotypical, laughable, and predictable.

ABSORBED

I read this book at a very young age I was 9. I read everything and anything I could get my hands on at that time. I grew up in chaos and abuse. I think this story flipped a switch in my subconscience. I was a runaway due.to my home life and experienced things kids should not,. Yet , when I was addicted to drugs and alcohol I stayed the hell away from heroin. I know she divulges in more than that but, it's what I associated heroin with. The world is different from when I was growing up. I'm 42 now and I believe it's important to let your kids see the world for what it is and can be. I am grateful that my children did not become addicts in any sense. I was always open about the things I experienced. I gave them more than don't do it. For those who have a more sheltered family dynamic, I think this is even more of an important read. Educate yourselves and discuss the book

Worth reading

I read this book when I was 13...very powerful! I'm 46 years old and the lessons I learned stuck with me throughout my teenage and college years. I have a 20 year old and 14 year old and the lessons still hold true for both of my girls!

Very memorable story

I read this book at age 13. I am now 47 and consider this one of the best books I have ever read. I also gave my daughter the book when she was 13 and she loved it also. I can't say if reading this book will save teenagers from becoming drug addicts but I liked this book simply because it is a good, interesting story. It is, however, a very tragic story. The main character did not make the decision, for herself, to try drugs, she was innocent and that's what makes the story so tragic. There are some parts of this story that are very, deeply, emotional and I think parents should read the book themselves first and then decide if their child is mature enough not to just read the story because they are being made to read it, but to really understand it, and be able to deal with the emotions that they will experience from reading it.

Found this in my libraries young adult section..

I picked this novel up and thought it was interesting. Now here are my concerns parents might want to look at when deciding to let their Young adult/teenager read this novel. The main plot of the story is talking about a teenagers experience doing drugs. Other portions of this book may also contain Sexual situations/References, and language.. Other than that, I questioned wether this book should be in the Young adult section...

Profound

This book had a profound affect on me. I grew up with a loving, caring funny, drug-addicted father who would do anything for me, except quit drugs. Addicts are full of broken promises to themselves and to their loved ones. They may wake up everyday saying to themselves, "today is my last day using." I found the book to be true to life. I read it when I was 13 years old. I'm 47 now and have a teenager and a preteen at home. I want them to read it and someday I'll tell them all about my dad. Luckily, he ended up in jail for 6 months or so and that cleaned him up. Not many thank G-d that their father gets arrested. It was a better 14 year birthday present that I could have asked for. In the end, it was the 4 packs of cigarettes/day that killed him. Another addiction.

Overall, a worthwhile read for teens and parents of teens

This book is a little disappointing in that it is indeed a work of fiction. However, coming from a teenager, this book has convinced me to refrain from trying LSD, etc. The book is also a little stale in that the author (Beatrice Sparks) wrote in a way that only an adult can - as a teen, you'll notice certain things Alice says that most teens wouldn't, for example her repeating of three words ( really, what teen does that haha). Overall, this book is a worthwhile read for parents with coming-of-age teenagers who (hopefully) haven't been exposed to drugs. I've experimented with several different drugs, and I can tell you I would have been much more reserved about trying them had I read this book when I was younger. It's a fast read and easy to understand, which is another reason why it's good for teens. If you're looking for similar material, Ellen Hopkins' books are excellent. Her books "Crank" and "Glass" are a fictionalized version of her daughter's journey into the jaws of "the monster" (that being meth). Happy reading!

READ ME!!!

I think that this book is very good and educational about how using drugs even once can get you addicted. If kids don't get talked to about drugs, alcohol, and sex. Then there is no preventing them from tiring drugs or alcohol and maybe even using protection during sex so they don't get and std or get pregnant.

A good read for teens so they stay AWAY from drugs

How else should kids learn?

I think it is important for kids to read about things that are bad. Parent anti- drug talks are lame and no kid wants to listen to what their parents have to say. This book allows kids to learn about the effects drugs can have on their lives. Maybe this should be the new anti-drug campaign... To comment on the bad language and violence and drug comments of others: Well DUH! That's the point. This is real life stuff. You would never believe what kids are really doing these days. I think they need to read about what could happen if they don't think about their actions. Without books like this, kids will just have to try these things on their own instead of reading about it....