Parent reviews for Go Set a Watchman

Go Set a Watchman Poster Image

Based on 1 review

Amazing companion for To Kill a Mockingbird

This book is a fantastic continuation to the story of To Kill a Mockingbird. I was told this was the original work but it was too progressive and so Harper Lee wrote the mockingbird story (which is heavily referenced). It breaks down the “hero” of Atticus and humanizes him heavily. When released, this got a huge backlash as people have idolized Atticus for years. While he is progressive for his time, he is not the perfect man and we see in this story how it will take generations to truly end racism. Powerful story about the power of parenting to create a better world.

1 person found this helpful.

A disappointing first draft to To Kill a Mockingbird

Harper Lee was a fantastic writer who was taken advantage of by her publisher in her old age (93) to publish her first draft of To Kill a Mockingbird. In other words, it’s a cash grab organized by an evil publisher, who got most of thr profits. Don’t believe me? Look it up. But don’t waste your time or money on this garbage.

great book

Its a great book.

Fantastic book though for adults

This book is one of the paragons for literature and the furtherance of intellectual development. It is a fantastic appreation of the culmination of racism and bigotry as applied to a fictional setting. To kill a mockingbird is perhaps the best American novel ever printed. This Book takes the story and analyzes the product of this fantastic diatribe against racism and thrusts it into more "modern" appreation. I will be the first to admit that this book is not perfect. However, to say it is a book meant for anything less than high school level students is disingenuous. This book looks at th product of racism and hatred and analyzes the product. I absolutely love this book and recommend it to nearly everyone adult I can. With that said, if you are not 14+ or a very special and intellectual adolescent I highly reccomend reading this book only if, and only if you have read to kill a mocking bird. Actually I reccomend not reading this book unless you have read to kill a mocking bird at all. It is a sequel about racism and the flaws of society. This book does not come without hard questions and a look into the eyes of some of the most despicable aspect of society, both modern and past. It is fantastic but be warned