All parent member reviews for Gossip Girl Books

Parent of a 4, 11, and 13 year old Written byjburnett711 March 31, 2011
I personally love the books, however I read them while in college. I would absolutely not want my kids reading these books until they were out of high school! There is really nothing appropriate about them, however, the stories are great- juicy, dramatic, and addictive. Letting your child read these books would be the equivalent of letting them watch Sex and the City, but with high schoolers.
Adult Written bywhatacutie April 9, 2008

Author is a sick person

I can't believe a woman who is a mother would write such filth for kids!!! I couldn't believe all the sex and drugs etc.
Adult Written bymomoffourgirls April 9, 2008

Banned from local High School library

I couldn't believe when my daughter (15) came home from school with 4 of these books. After reading the first chapter I was appalled to say the least that such books would be available in our high school!!! Ages 13 and up!!! All I had to do was go to the school and show them to administration... The looks on their faces were priceless!!! I really was anticipating having to go to the superintendent and other school officials!! I can't believe a librarian would purchase them for a school.... Local City/Town library - yes I can understand.... But in a school -------- If you are a parent/guardian, pick up one of these books and read it!!
Adult Written bylizwinn March 12, 2015
Rumor has it that Nate, who’s dating Blair, is really in love with Serena, but then again, who isn’t? Serena, the “It” Girl of the whole Upper East Side of Manhattan, is more or less perfect (maybe too perfect, some say). According to Blair, (the jealous, ex-best-friend of Serena), she got kicked out of her European boarding school for cutting class, peddling drugs, sleeping around, you name it. Some say she had a baby in France and left it to be raised by an au pair, says Chuck, one of NYC’s adolescent jet set last seen in the ladies’ room at last night’s party feeling up Jenny, Blair and Serena’s classmate with the DD bra size. But Dan, a Beatnik loner with a crush on Serena, doesn’t believe a word of the gossip on his golden girl. Vanessa, however, an aspiring filmmaker with a thing for Leo Tolstoy and her friend Dan, is beginning to have her doubts. Von Ziegesar creates a cast of characters that seem superficial at first, but develop into surprisingly likable people (most of them, anyway). The narrative is a shallow one with more than its fair share of laughs, but wraps up a bit too abruptly for any of the relationship problems to be solved in a realistic manner. All that aside, this giggly, gossipy first volume of the best-selling series is sure to impress teen girls with a taste for chick lit. Recommended for Ages 16-18 for sexual content and rambunctious adolescent behavior.
Adult Written byChariot April 9, 2008
Adult Written byUKnowULoveMe April 9, 2008

All gossip girl books are wonderful!

Read the gossip girl books, then you'll get what i mean.
Parent Written byCommonSenseParent November 24, 2010

Great read for middle school (6th grade) and up

My 11-year-old sixth-grader and I have read and loved this. A lot of her peers are now venturing into young adult books, and they all realize that this is gulity pleasure fiction and not to be taken seriously. One of the best books ever written. You should definitely read the whole series. A+
Parent of a 16 year old Written byLely.Bell August 4, 2009
I LOVE GG LOL
Adult Written bypmmarshall1 July 18, 2009
TERRIBLE books.
Adult Written bylicoricespice April 9, 2008

Junk food reading - zero value

Twelve year-old daugter brought book series home from school and public library (recommended by her friends). Front cover apprears age appropriate but inside is anything but. Language, sex, galore. Had a hard time finding any value at all for any age.
Adult Written bylibraryliz April 9, 2008

Read it, but think about it!

The Gossip Girl books are quite popular for teens - and in and of themselves, they aren't terrible books. However, they DO contain a lot of sex, drugs and other "issues". I would suggest that teens be encouraged to read them if they have a parent or other figure to discuss them with.
Adult Written byShiner April 9, 2008
Adult Written byRalphie3333 January 11, 2011

Why settle for trash

Why give kids junk literature/media to teach how not to act instead of giving them good literature/media that teaches how to act. Why not find wholesome books with good role models showing how beneficial it is to make good decisions.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byBookWorm44 September 12, 2010

Read it, loved it, but not for the faint of heart.

I have read this book and all i can say is "Don't hate it until you've tried it" My child has a 12.9 reading level at only 13. She has to have book that are a lot harder then what the other seventh graders are reading so i've learned to let her pick out her own books but look over them before allowing her to read them. I think that this is a good book but intented for 15 and up.
Adult Written bydadoffour September 22, 2009

Very sad this toxic stuff is so popular

I am not easily shocked, but that's my reaction to how cynical and demeaning Hachette and this author are. They are making a lot of money selling a concentrated form of the stuff that ultimately keeps teenage girls and young women weak: intense emphasis on looks, materialism and brands; a view of female relationships as competitive sport; and a view of cheap sex, alcohol, and smoking as just part of a normal girl's life. And they can't pretend the appeal and the sale doesn't work it's way down to the "'tweens". I am not a conservative, either politically or religiously. But this is the underside of American culture, celebrated and treated as normal. I hope we'll eventually grow up to the point where we see this stuff the way we now understand smoking: bad for everyone, and not to be made sexy and marketed to young people. Parents you should read this book before you let your daughter read it, and see where you stand. If you are trying to raise a daughter (or son) who has values that will lead to real happiness over time, and the courage to stick to these values -- you may agree with me that Hachette and "Cecily Von Ziegesar" are enemies to your cause.
Adult Written byiffets April 9, 2008

you know you love it...

I started reading gossip girl books when i was like 13 and a friend told me how much she loved it. I admit these books have a lot of sex, drugs and partying. Now that i'm 16 i still read them but it isnt something i would want my 13 yo sister reading now. I think it is really all the sex and drugs that makes it interesting. I know its the only reason i like reading the books, its stuff i wouldnt dream of doing and thats what makes it so intriguing. I can only dream of having a life full of as much drama as the characters. The fact that the whole series is basically a giant gossip hole is why everyone loves it so much. Gossip is addicting. Its something i would recommend for a mature 13 year old because they probably know enough about most of the stuff(sex, drugs) nothing would be new to them.
Adult Written bymcrluver90 April 9, 2008

A must read book for the teenage generation

I think that the books were amazing. They open the teenagers eyes to the consequenses of their actions.. I personally would let my niece and nephew (both 14) read them.
Adult Written byshortbutcool April 9, 2008

book

htis book is awsome I love it I read it all the time it is the coolest series in the worl. I think that everyone should read this series because it's so cool
Adult Written bycalla.lilly April 9, 2008

These books are comepletely empty of any moral lessons

I'm fully aware that our kids encounter situations in real life that deal with sex, drugs, alcohol etc... but there is a big difference between that and cramming a glorified technical manual of it down their throats. These books have no value to them, the characters learn no lessons from their behaviors. When I discovered my 14 year old step-daughter reading them and absolutely dying for the next one in the series I was SHOCKED! And even more shocked that her MOTHER bought them for her. I really hope that our young ladies have more respect for themselves and avoid these books. Just because 'the other girls' are doing it, doesn't mean it's ok. There are other series out there that are wonderful reads and have actual substance and moral values. These are nothing but soft p*rn for teens.
Adult Written byamollo01 April 9, 2008