All parent member reviews for Gregor the Overlander: Underland Chronicles, Book 1

Adult Written byjlondon April 9, 2008

Alice & Wonderland for Boys

This was a marvelous fantasy read. First time author Suzanne Collins gets this one right and we can look forward to more adventures with Gregor. This adventure is a great example of Alice & Wonderland that boys and girls will both love. The bond and nuturing attitiude that Gregor has for his sister is a pleasant touch. The world that Gregor and his sister tumble into is not so different from our own in the problems that occur between the societies. This would make a great kids book club book with many issues to discuss.
Adult Written bymjdulaney April 9, 2008

5th grade teacher raves about "Gregor!"

As a teacher, I am always looking for books that will grab the attention of my more reluctant readers. "Gregor" was such a title this year. I purchased and read my copy when the Texas Bluebonnet list chose it as one of its nominees for '05-'06. Two of my students were reading right along with me and our enthusiasm for the book caused many others in my class to get on the library's waiting list. Then we all spent time on-line checking out when book 2 of the chronicles would be available! The characters in this book were vivid and the story line moved quickly. The vocabulary was excellent, the more challenging words being easy to understand using context clues. Many kids were captured by the fantasy aspect, but since magic was not a part of it, those parents who object to the "Potter" series should be OK with the "Gregor" books. With the title character facing trials in his life such as poverty, poor housing, an absent father, and having to care for his younger siblings, many of today's kids will see themselves in Gregor, and others will possibly develop some understanding of classmates who face such difficulties. All around, an excellent book and I plan to start this coming school year with "Gregor the Overlander" as my first read aloud!
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bysandykrout August 30, 2010

Great for Girls or Boys.

This book kept our whole family ready to hear more. We like a good story, are conservative, for the most part, and found this series to be so entertaining [we're on book 3 in the series now]. We're already sad to know that we're half-way through the series. No major concerns with this book.
Parent Written bymcordray July 11, 2012

This book snares the reader from the very beginning. My boys loved that they can relate to Gregor's character. He is a typical eleven year old kid that ends up in a dark, intense and imaginitive adventure. The story is entertaining for the whole family.

I have two boys ages 9 and 12. I read this book to them for 30 minutes each evening. They never wanted me to stop reading!
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byMommyD December 22, 2009

Great series for reluctant readers!

I read this series aloud to my children and we all loved it! The family relationship is a good one - everyone looking out for each other, not just themselves. The plot sucks you in and leaves you wanting the next one. Starting in the 3rd one they start getting a little more voilent but since we were reading outloud i just edited and talked about issues as we went. My 9 year old has now read them herself and loves them. This is also a good series to get your boys reading!
Parent of a 17 year old Written byahcim3 May 9, 2010

i was going to skip over this book because it sounded so totally weird but when i saw your review i read them all in 2 days!! (I must say i had a sick fascination with the Cockroaches) really good book i would recommend always thanks again
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bymomojojomonkey April 20, 2010

This is a must read!

We are reading book4 now and our family can't wait to spend an hour each night catching up...we just can't put it down. The boys always kept saying, one more chapter each night. We love the funny rats, cute sisters and mostly the important value my children have learned from these books. We have had many discussions in btw reading time on racism, violence and family value. Totally love it!
Educator Written byFeathersword April 1, 2009

Exciting Page-turner!

I was dubious at first with this book. Cockroachees that talk? Rats larger than humans? Bats that are ridden by people with violet eyes who live underground? But I soon got over these thoughts and fell in love with the book. In fact, I've read all five and wish there were more to read! If you're looking for excitement, adventure (and quite a bit of violence) then this series is for you!
Adult Written bySwimmerBimmer18 April 9, 2008
I think it is a little violent...some of the charactors are a little weird but most of all it is a great book!READ IT!
Parent Written bysci-fi mom November 10, 2011

Great Story, Great Series!

My son and I read this together on vacation and loved the book. We were able to have very good discussions about various characters and their decision making. Gregor has good internal dialogue about what he could have done and also what other character's motivations may be. We have moved on to the other books of the series and have enjoyed them all.
Adult Written byjoybells April 9, 2008

Fantastic stuff!

This book is worth the time, and the sequel is equally successful. The action is well paced, and I was pleasantly surprised at the humor. I look forward to the last three books in the Underland Chronicles.
Adult Written bykmk415 April 9, 2008
Adult Written byvcarozzolo April 9, 2008

This whole series really spins your way of thinking about creatures such as rats, bats, and cockroaches, and really is STELLAR in provoking the imagination of anyone who picks up these books. I can't rave about them enough.
Adult Written bykeagan April 9, 2008

Suzanne Collins started an excellent series

My son got hooked on the first book and now is reading the FOURTH book already. It's an awesome series if it can keep my kid entertained through the whole series!
Adult Written byksputney April 9, 2008

An excellent, highly-entertaining series

I have read books 1-4 of the Gregor the Overlander series and have loved them. My fifth grader is on book 7 of the Harry Potter series and I am giving her this series to start on next. The books do have chilling violent scenes (the creatures in the Underland are at war) and death is a common occurence which is not minimized. For that reason, I would recommend the book only for ages 10 and up. The social message, valuing courage only when it is mixed with empathy and resistance to stereotyping, is a wonderful one.
Educator and Parent of a 1, 3, 5, 6, and 10 year old Written byCamey82 February 15, 2014

Wonderfully Fun, Thoughtful, and Action Packed!

I LOVE this book. I have not yet begun book two, but book one was phenomenal. Someone else explained it as Alice in Wonderland for boys. I understand that. It definitely would appeal to the boys. That being the case, I love how thoughtful and prudent Gregor is. I love how nurturing he is with his younger sister. He's a great character to emulate. I love the messages in the book. Loyalty. Honesty. Bravery. Humility. There are so many wonderful moments. There are moments of fighting but no more than you would see in a Disney movie. Flesh is slashed with swords. Characters fall to their death. Nothing overly gory or inappropriate for children 9 and older, even younger if they're up to the read! You MUST experience the journey! Dive in!
Adult Written bynbblondie April 9, 2008