All parent member reviews for Guardians of Ga'hoole Series

Adult Written byweasly May 20, 2010

owls life

really good!
Parent of a 17 year old Written byashtonsgm February 26, 2011

Great for boys with special needs.

Love it. Bought them for program I implemented @ Christmas to read aloud to my 17 year old special needs son. Our plan was 1 chapter in a book each night @ bedtime, inwstead of TV. Bought set of 3 as part of a read aloud program I implemented with my 17 year old son. He is 17 years old and has special needs. The plan was 1 chapter each night @ bedtime instead of TV. We enjoy them so much we are reading 2-3 chapters a night and now are looking for the restof the series. At night when he is ready for bed, he fingds me if, I'm not by his bed, and leads me there to begin reading. We love them, can't wait to find the rest.
Educator and Parent Written byHattieG03 May 7, 2011

I am seven years old and absolutely love the Guardians of Ga'hoole series. I won't read Harry Potter because it seems too scary but this series isn't too frightening. I think 7 year olds and up who love animals will like these books a lot. It does have a wee bit of violence but not very much. I am waiting for number 5 The Shattering from the library and I can't wait to read it.
Parent of a 5, 8, 10, and 12 year old Written bymonicabrandywine November 25, 2010

Guardians of Ga'hoole is a great read

My 12 year old loves this series. She and her friends read the books, then get together to talk about the plot, characters, even act out scenes. Now she is taking the interest to the next level: joining a birding group, getting books from the library about owls, attending a lecture at an environmental center with live owls.
Adult Written byGriobhtha Mama December 21, 2010

too violent.

I read this book ahead of my 9-year-old daughter, and so glad I did. While it does have a good message of friendship and teamwork, there were several occurrences of very graphic violence. I am not opposed to sad or bad things happening in a story, but the amount of detail was over-the-top for younger kids. Furthermore, the type of violence didn't add anything to the story - it was needless. There are other great books out there for kids to read and get the same great messages of friendship and working together. It wasn't that good of a book to warrant the gratuitous violence.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byJopersis February 3, 2011

Fantastic series!

My son asked me to read this, no, begged me to read this with him. I consented, thinking I would read the first book or two. I ended up reading the entire series! It was exciting, adventurous and highly entertaining! Along the way, much was learned, as well. My son and I had a book club of sorts discussing the books and the characters. I was amazed at some very adult themes running through series. I was also pleased to see some new and interesting vocabulary words. Read this along with your child, you'll be glad you did.
Parent of a 6 and 7 year old Written byCowDung March 3, 2011

Better than expected.

I started reading the series with my 7 year old son (who happens to be a big fan of owls). We both became interested in the story and enjoyed discussing it as we were reading it. As we approached the end of the first book, he was very eager for us to acquire the next one in the series. Some of the words/language used made it a bit challenging for him to read it on his own (unassisted), but it worked very well for reading with him. Yes, there is some violence, but I don't think it was excessive or inappropriate for this type of story.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byBookmomof4 August 18, 2010

Great series!

My 11 year old daughter recently read the series and was so sad when it was done. She loved it so much she is reading it out loud to her 9 year old brother. I have now heard her read the first two books and really enjoy them myself. Not only are they entertaining, but they teach about owls. They are funny, fast-paced and very engaging.
Parent of a 8 year old Written bykasidak December 23, 2011

Wonderful series!

Adult Written byrobratings8901 June 12, 2014

Kathryn Lasky actually wanted to write nonfiction about owls, you know.

That's right, Commonsense! That's why readers can learn about owls. On to my review; There's some pretty tragic violence, and the first book had me crying at the end. It's beautifully written, and extremely interesting! I actually haven't read the full series, but I must. Some scene of violence is described in flash back, including an owl being ripped apart, a villain having metal melt on his face, and that same owl being killed with a shard of ice. In later books, main characters have chicks, but not described. Owls have their own word for flirting, "Fiviling" They also have their own cuss words, that don't have any English roots, though. Interestingly enough, different animals have different "gods"- i.e, owls have "Glaux", and rabbits have "Lapin". All in all, a spectacular read, not done justice by the movie.