All parent member reviews for Heart of a Shepherd

Adult Written byConcernedReader October 1, 2010
This is a beautifully written story. The characters are well developed and are truly human (as opposed to being caricatures). Rosanne Parry's first novel, _Heart Of A Shepherd_ is one of the most stunning stories that I have read in the past ten years. It truly is a story for all ages. Her writing is lyrical, her characters are fully developed and realistic, and her portrayal of what it is to be 12 years old is so accurate that I felt my own 12-year old self (an age I left behind decades ago) rise within my soul. This book is what our youth NEED to be reading. Parry's sentences are complex and her use of metaphor is breathtaking. Her conversation is realistic; each character speaks in a voice that is sincere, accurate, and believable for him/herself. I highly recommend this book for all children aged 9 and older as well any adult. This is truly a story for all ages. I hope that Rosanne Parry will continue to write.
Parent of a 15 and 17 year old Written byPNW TeacherMom July 3, 2010

Sweet, Sensitive Story

LOVED this one about a young boy left at home (on an Eastern Oregon ranch) with his grandparents while his older brothers attend boarding school and his father goes to serve in Iraq. It sensitively deals with the boy’s feelings of responsibility and his concerns for the future. May not be classroom appropriate only because of lots of Catholic/Quaker themes. An easy read.
Adult Written bySpEedy11233 February 9, 2010