Kid reviews for Hollow City: Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, Book 2

Gripping, creepy sequel time-travels to 1940s London.

Teen, 14 years old Written bymusic_and_stuff_11 December 14, 2014

Amazing Eerie Novel!

Hollow City is a great book! The Peculiars are wonderful characters (e.g. Horace becomes braver and Bronwyn is a fantastic mother figure to Olive and the others. ) and they all care deeply for each other. (Even Enoch has his moments.) There is some violence, but kids 10 and up should be able to handle it. The pictures are haunting and beautiful. Hollow City is a perfect mix of horror, adventure and romance. I love this book and I can't wait for the 3rd one. I hope you like Hollow City as much as I do.

Teen, 14 years old Written bycaitann11 August 10, 2014

Great sequel

A bit violent. But an excellent story! Love all the freaky pictures that go with it. I couldn't read it before I went to bed though. (nightmares alert) could read over and over again. Likeable characters

Teen, 17 years old Written bylingling August 17, 2016

Terrific novel!

Its definitely a must-read book to what I believe teens 13 and above. Absolutely a 'cliffhanger' and always keeps you on the edge of your seat. Having read the first novel "miss peregrines home for peculiar children", I had braced myself for what to expect in "Hollow City". Absolutely outstanding! You'll be kidding yourself if you turn down a book like this one :)) the writing style is highly expectable, enabling teens to relate to the characters, mentally. The author creates diversity and drama and believe me, after reading the first chapter, you won't want to put the book down!

Kid, 10 years old February 26, 2017

Well written sequel of Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children

Violence - The whole theme of this trilogy is children being butchered by horrific creatures. Some fight scenes may be too intense for a younger child because there are times where it is particularly scary, nightmarish and some other times with extended sequences of peril. Some of the images may be grotesque at time, so read with caution. Furthermore, the use of bombs is described and World War Two is a main theme of this story. There is a clown in this Tale who seems like a stalker, so be aware that this may scary someone with a phobia of clowns. Sex - Jacob and Emma's relationship is, well, incestous in a way. Emma is Jacob's Grandpa's ex and Jacob kisses her sometime passionately, sometimes a peck on the lips. A clown makes an off colour comment about his bedroom being unavailable to anyone apart from Emma. Language - infrequent ba-tard, hell and damn and god

Teen, 16 years old Written bybookgeek101 April 22, 2015

2nd book still going strong

The second book in this series is still good with creepy old pictures. The story is great with a lot more time-travelling (from the 1940 to the 1920s and back to modern times). It gives lots of adventure and more peculiar powers!

Teen, 15 years old Written byTheAlmightyCastform May 10, 2018

Awesome sequel opens up the world and has adventure, drama, and new lore.

This is the second book in the Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children series. It starts off where the last book ends. Oh, boy, this is going to be hard to review without spoiling anything from the first or second books. While the first book is mostly on a small island where it's hard to go anywhere (not that there's anything wrong with that), this one has the protagonists on the run. They go from place to place and meet new people (some helpful, some hostile), and go toward their goal, which I won't spoil. This book has educational value in that you find out what the experience of living during World War 2 was like. The ending is shocking, but satisfying, though, like the last book, it ends on a steep cliffhanger. I like that the rules of this universe are internally consistent. This one doesn't switch genres as much as the first book, or have the same sense of mystery, but that doesn't diminish the book at all. This book doesn't have those rapper brothers from the first book in it, so there isn't any cursing, which is what kept me from giving book 1 five stars. Yeah, I hate cursing. There are some scary creatures, and violent scenes, but considering that if you're reading book 2, you must have read book 1 (or just not read the text on the cover saying "BOOK 2"), you can handle it. It's no worse than book 1. This review is pretty much pointless, because if you have read the first book (you should) you will want to read this one, and then book 3 as well.

Teen, 13 years old Written byananonymousreader April 21, 2018

it's a really fantastic book

it's a really great book. ever since the first one, i couldn't stop reading. it includes a lot of bravery, affection, great messages and a lot of heroism. it teaches children some really important things like to believe in themselves and that they don't (always) need other forms of "help" (which in this case is ambrosia) and that people don't like what they can't understand. and most importantly, that it's okay to be different. i'd say that this book is appropriate for kids aged 12 and above, although there are some slightly (very slightly) inappropriate and somewhat scary parts. it isn't for the weak stomached. but overall i think it's a really great book and i highly suggest to read it, given you've read or will read the first two before this one. i love this book. it's absolutely phenomenal.

Kid, 11 years old January 11, 2017

Just as good as the first book!

The second book in the Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children series is almost as good as the first! The swearing in this book went from an 8 in the first book to a three in this one. The peculiar children's adventure continues, and meet some new characters and other peculiar people. Filled with humor and adventure, along with a great plot, this book is sure to want you reading the last, and see how the mission to save all peculiardom turns out.