Parent reviews for Hop on Pop

A dazzling beginning reader by Dr. Seuss.

Parent Written byOldShowLover April 17, 2020

Classic early literacy book is less desirable than modern offerings

Simple rhymes make this book suitable to read aloud from birth. However, in comparison to many books that came out in the 50 years after this, I find the imagery disappointing.

There are three moments of slight violence:
1. "NIGHT FIGHT We fight all night."
Photo of two small animals fighting in bed with rackets, one hitting the other over the head.
2. "HE ME He is after me. HIM JIM Jim is after him."
Photo of a boy being chased by a monster that is biting his foot with its fangs, and the monster being bitten on the tail by a child with a menacing face.
3. "SEE BEE THREE Now we see three."
Photo of bees with long stingers on their faces chasing the creatures; one is actively being stung.

Many people love the nostalgia of Dr. Seuss, and the art is still unique to this day. But with a much more robust offering of literacy-promoting children's books nowadays, it's hard to set aside time/money for something with potentially scary scenes for the younger crowd, and more importantly, I don't want to normalize the kind of fighting going on in the first scene I mentioned.

Adult Written byLebron12James3 February 29, 2020

Too mature

I just read this book and it is amazing, but it will very hard for anyone under the age of 18 to understand because of the deep and powerful message of the pressure you put on pop when you hop on him.
Parent Written byqtnn January 11, 2009