Kid reviews for How to Train Your Dragon: The Heroic Misadventures of Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III, Book 1

How to Train Your Dragon: The Heroic Misadventures of Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III, Book 1 Poster Image

Cressida Cowell’s original masterpiece!

How to Train Your Dragon is another amazing book by Cressida Cowell. It is very adventurous, just like The Wizards of Once, written by the same author. It is a fabulously done book. The message is, don’t try and catch a dragon without knowing what you’re doing! And I’m telling whoever’s reading this - don’t try and catch a dragon without knowing what you’re doing! It can get a bit ridiculous. If your kid has read this book, then I truly advise to get the third book, How to Speak Dragonese. That is where Hiccup teaches you about how to speak Dragonese. The Dragonese in the original book has phrases like, “Mi mamma no like it yum-yum on the bum”. That is a phrase in Dragonese. It means, “My mother does not like to be bitten on the bum”, which I find very, very funny. Now, back to the book. The book is very funny and can get a little scary while Hiccup is trying to escape from a dragon cliff, but he doesn’t have a dragon. It’s a very good book, and has very good plot twists, like the plot really makes you think it’s the end for Hiccup, but then at the end of that page, he somehow escapes. And that’s all I’m saying for now! To find out more, please read the book.

Amazing Book Series - Disappointed With the Movies

This is an amazing book series! I love the final four books because of how everything just ties together. They are interesting, funny, and light-hearted. I would recommend for 7+ because younger kids might not be able to understand some of the things they talk about, but other than that, I would say that they are great books for the whole family. I listened to them on Audible twice with my family before getting the books.

An Outstanding Series

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this series. I gave it 7 and up rating for the first book, but I would like to note that as the series gets deeper things get a little darker. The first books is very lighthearted and can even be a little boring for older readers, but by the end you'll be bawling your eyes out. Spoilers ahead The story is about a young boy named Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third. He loves dragons, and he learned how to talk to them in their language, dragonese. However, he is kinda scrawny and not good at viking things, so the other boys in his tribe make fun of him a lot. The first 7 books are about him collecting these items which he doesn't realize are all connected and important at the time. In the 8th book, he meets the dragon Furious, who vows (for complicated reasons) to make war on the human race in exactly one year. In the 9th book, be begins to act out his vow, massacre ensues and he begins to light up the world in flames. The next books are focused on Hiccup and his friends trying to stop the dragon vs. human war and save everybody. There is also something called the dragon jewel which has the power to destroy all dragons forever. Alvin the Treacherous (Hiccup's archenemy) is trying to become the king so he can learn the secret of the dragon jewel and destroy dragons forever. The items Hiccup collected over the first books are all items that belonged to the old king, which are called "The Lost Things" Alvin has stolen all but one of them and is trying to get the last one, which is Hiccup's dragon, toothless. (to be crowned king you need all the lost things) Eventually, the kid that bullied Hiccup all his life finally makes friends with him, and then gets shot out of the sky and dies. Hiccup loses toothless and becomes stranded on an island AND loses his memory. But eventually everything works out, and the series concludes in a rather poetic way that it makes you want to cry. If we are talking about the series as a whole, I would give it a 12 and up rating just because it gets dark, a little violent, and scary. The threat of all dragons dying can be too much for kids. Also Snotlout's death (the kid who bullied Hiccup his whole life) is really sad and I don't think a 7 year old could handle it. Anyway, thanks for reading my whole spiel on httyd. It is a really great book series and I still reread the books even though I'm old now :)
The books are better then the movies. The books came first, and the movies changed everything! Be warned, there is bathroom talk, but it pretty much dies out near the end of the series. Be warned, as the books progress, they get darker. But the plot is great. As the series begins, it seems like just a lot of misadventures, but in the later books, everything connects into one terrific plot! Highly recommended, but make sure your kids know that bathroom humor is not to be repeated.

Great messages about life

I read this when I was younger. It was one of my favorite! It’s funny, exciting and the story delivers great messages about life. There’s a load of hidden meanings behind the story. Hiccup and the readers learn at each adventure. It’s really well done. Any scene of violence is minimal and isn’t detailed. I would recommend it to practically kids of any age.

Amazing for ALL AGES! READ THE BOOK BEFORE WATCHING THE MOVIE YOU WILL THANK ME!!!!!!!! But seriously, loved it when I was five, still rereading it TO THIS DAY still so great

I loved the last book (it's the only one I read, though.)

So I bought the last book, not knowing it came from a series of 12 books, and I was worried that there would be no context, but the first couple of pages in the book filled me in on what happened in all of the previous books. After that, the story progresses quickly and always keeps the reader interested. The characters are developed so well, like how (SPOILER ALERT STOP READING HERE IF YOU DON"T WANT A SPOILER ALERT) the first time you see The Dragon Furious he seems like a horrible monster, but he progressively becomes more kind as he calms down until you feel sympathy for him when he gets poisoned. You grow to hate Alvin and the Witch more through the story and grow to like Hiccup, Camacazi, Fishlegs, and the protagonists more through the story. Overall, a great book.

Wonderful, give the characters a chance.

This book series is absolutely amazing. It has a great plot and backtracks to the other books and surprises you tons of times. They also have wholesome characters both young and old that mature with the main protagonist as well as the entire Barbaric Archipelago joining it asyou continue to read the books. It's just as great as the movie, maybe even better. But the thing people get put off is the differences of the books to the movies. Mostly on how different Toothless in the movies is compared to the Books. I think that os what throws them off the most and get "dissappointed". Yes, Toothless is tiny and annoying, he disobeys Hiccup mutiple times. But have you ever thought that the author actually made him that way on purpose? Toothless is literally, a baby or child. And babies are fussy and complain and are wild. I think parents should understand this since they know very, very, well about this. Toothless was meant to be an equivalent to Hiccup, scrawny and weak, and dissapointing, but is more than that. It worked a bit too well that it seeped in to real life I suppose. One of the books main messages is that "The Best is Not Always the Most Obvious." This has been shown tons of times in the series, most especially in the main protagonist and his closest friends and family. All I'm saying is that to give the characters a chance. They have more to it than what you think.

Really good book!

Hiccup, the chief's son, is a disappointment to all. He's not as strong, brave, or stupid as the rest of the Vikings his age. His brains make up for his lack in strength. This book is especially good for eight-year-old boys. Lots of farting! This book is written especially well.

One of the best book series I have read!

Saw this in my school library while I was on duty as alibrarian and normally I don't read books. but I gave this one a try, and I enjoyed it and now obsessed with the series! I prefer these books over the movies, because this book has a great start to a great book series!