Parent reviews for Hurt Go Happy

Award-winner faces tough topic of animal testing.

Parent of an infant year old Written byTalia4801543555 May 25, 2009

AWESOME

*************I REALLY LOVED THIS BOOK IT ACTUALLY MADE MY CHILD CRY. HA HA HA WHEN I ASKED HER SHE SAID BECAUSE TIS BOOK IS REALLY GOOD. I THINK THIS BOOK WOULD BE GOOD FOR CHILDEN MAYBE 10 AND UP REALLY REALLY GOOD AFTER MY DAUGHTER READ IT I DID THE BOOK HAD THE CAME EFFECT ON ME AS IT DID OF MY DAUGHTER*************************
Adult Written byEttina S. August 9, 2016

Had potential, but poorly done animal rights plot

The characters of Joey and her family and the way they grow in this book felt very real. However, I felt that Sukari (the chimpanzee) and her plotline was not very believable. It read like a poorly thought out rip off of Kenneth Oppel's Half Brother, with a lot more fridge logic issues. In real life, language trained chimps don't belong to random old guys in the woods, but instead are raised by graduate students working with a university. They certainly don't get willed to teenagers, especially disabled teenagers. There isn't a huge excess of chimps, either, and zoos are actually trying pretty hard to breed them. And most language trained chimps have never been sent to a medical research laboratory, so why does every book have to go there? The overall impression is that Sukari is just a tool to deliver the author's ham-fisted animal rights message. I think the story could have been much better if a) Charlie was part of a research team rather than some weirdo rich loner, b) Sukari didn't end up willed to Joey or in a medical research laboratory. Instead, the story could have focused more on Joey's adjustment to attending a signing Deaf school as an oral Deaf kid, which would have been a much more interesting and original storyline than some ridiculous 'teenager travels cross-country to rescue a language trained ape' plotline. Sukari could have been the inspiration for a career in primatology, rather than the vehicle for a poorly done and simplistic animal rights message.