Kid reviews for I Never Promised You a Rose Garden

Classic story of teen schizophrenic still engages.

No reviews yetAdd your rating

Teen, 14 years old Written byWritluvlife August 13, 2016

Beautiful part-autobiography on schizophrenia

I got this book for Christmas from my mom, who is a psychologist, who had read it in college. I read it immediately, and loved it. I like the fact that the author was able to get through her schizophrenia, and be able to eventually write a book about her dark past...even being able to open up about her suicidal tendencies, and how much she harmed herself:descriptions of deep cutting, and the blood afterward, and burning It was very well written, and I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a classic. I recommend a very mature 13 up, because of the suicidal tendencies throughout the whole book, constant self-harm, language, sexuality, and swearing.

Teen, 15 years old Written byem.m_carter May 25, 2018

Make sure child understands Mental illness

I Never Promised You a Rose Garden is about schizophrenia. Period. I suggested 13 plus merely because I hope the reader can comprehend the importance of such mental illness, such as schizophrenia. Once I had believed myself to have known the symptoms of this disorder, I understood the cruelty of previous asylum treatment and what can influence a mental illness. I don't believe the movie to have accurately depict the novel, but really, how many do? Overall a fantastic story. I may have cried. Ok, I did cry. Multiple times. Parents: Please review if possible :)

Educational Value