Parent reviews for In the Shadow of Blackbirds

Spine-tingling ghost story haunts long after reading.

Based on 1 review

Parent of a 11-year-old Written byKirian June 26, 2014

A story for mature readers (review contains spoilers)

There are some aspects of this book that trouble me. This is absolutely not a book I would hand to anyone under the age of 16.

The heroine, Mary, distraught over the death of her boyfriend and incarceration of her father, runs out into a lightning storm carrying a metal conductor --deliberately-- hoping to be struck. She is, and is killed, but returns to life with some mild paranormal abilities that fuel the rest of the book. Given the very real problem of suicide among teens, this sort of self-destructive action in a hero or heroine distresses me.

The main character, Mary, is 16, and her boyfriend is 17 or 18. There are a few intimate scenes between them, and while they aren't terribly explicit, they are more heated than I'd wish for any younger readers.

Finally, the book is set during the first world war and the flu pandemic. Death is a realistic fear of every character, and it stalks these pages. Recovering soldiers with serious injuries are mentioned, and so are people dying of the flu.

Educational Value