All parent member reviews for Insurgent: Divergent, Book 2

Parent of a 5 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 May 30, 2012

insurgent

Families can talk about the growing popularity of dystopian books aimed at teens. Why are stories set in a dangerous future such a hot trend? What are some of the best examples of the genre? Which characters or factions' philosophies do you agree with? Which Faction do you think you'd belong to? How are Tris and Four different from other teen-lit couples? Why are central love stories in a series less common than love triangles? Which do you prefer?
Adult Written byAlyssasmommy April 27, 2015

I have a question...

I have a question. Where in the book are they intimate? And how many details are shared? I have a 12 yr old daughter reading the book and she does not know of intimate details. Thanks. Please email me at Alyssasmommy225@aol.com.
Educator and Parent Written byMkaleokalani January 19, 2013

Great read

This is a wonderful written book. It gets long at times that you are ready for the story to move on, but the characters dealing with their past and trying to make a new future for themselves.
Parent of a 8, 10, and 12 year old Written bySLKbooklover January 18, 2014

Great sequel, just as good as the first

I found the sequel to be just as good as the first book. It begins to build the background stories of the main characters to help the reader understand the motivations for their decisions and actions. This book focuses a lot more on Tris and Tobias' relationship. Tris is sometimes a hard character to like and you ask yourself constantly "why don't you just tell him the truth." But just like most good dramas, there would not be a storyline if the main character didn't keep unnecessary secrets that ended up causing problems. I liked how the characters deal with hurt in different ways, but are shown working through it. Lots of action, more serious tone in this one, and sexual overtones increase.
Parent Written byJake from State Farm March 19, 2015

Suspenseful

As a mom, I preview or pre read most of my kids books. This book is exciting and keeps my 5th graders attention. Spoiler alert....Mom's - There is some kissing in this book . I don't want my daughter to read that quite yet she she will be skipping the end of chapter 3 and 5. I know that sounds weird skipping this verses killings, but we have exposed her to some tv shows with violence and not the intimate readings of how a kiss feels.
Adult Written byabbacus January 2, 2014

Kind of disappointing, but still good....

Not nearly as enjoyable as Divergent, which is one of my favorite books I've read in a while. It relies too heavily on violence. The whole book is literally attack after attack, fight after fight, death after death. Also lots of "angty-ness" between Tris and Four/Tobias. Not as cool of a plot as Divergent. I'm still going to read Alligent (book 3) because I still really like the series as a whole. I'll give Insurgent 3 and a half out of 5 stars.
Adult Written byArtyomPopov June 29, 2015

Moving novel.....

This novel is very mesmerizing. It depicts all-too-well the harsh realities of misplacement as well as the feelings of becoming an adult. I like Veronica Roth's writing and definitely believe she has created a breathtaking world. That being said, one thing I cannot say enough is that I feel some of it is too grown up for children. In one scene, Tris contemplates committing suicide after killing a dear friend in self defence. This scene I find very disturbing, as Roth communicates too well the emotions one feels when split between living or taking one's life.
Adult Written bywill russell reviews June 13, 2015

Exciting sequel serves up even more thrills than the original

The book "Insurgent" was an incredible follow-up to "Divergent." That being said, it definitely ups the amount of intense violence, which may concern parents of younger readers. The main character, Tris, is an excellent female role model. The book defiantly has strong messages of bravery, friendship, and the importance of family. Once again, strong profanity is not a problem, however there are brief exploits of "h--l," as well as other minor insults. Beatrice and Tobias' relationship grows even stronger than before so expect lots of kissing and some references to intercourse. The extensive violence includes mass killings and chase sequences involving knives, guns and other assorted weapons. If you are a fan of the "Divergent" series and 11 or older, I would definitely recommend this to you.