All parent member reviews for Insurgent: Divergent, Book 2

Parent of a 5 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 May 30, 2012

insurgent

Families can talk about the growing popularity of dystopian books aimed at teens. Why are stories set in a dangerous future such a hot trend? What are some of the best examples of the genre? Which characters or factions' philosophies do you agree with? Which Faction do you think you'd belong to? How are Tris and Four different from other teen-lit couples? Why are central love stories in a series less common than love triangles? Which do you prefer?
Educator and Parent Written byMkaleokalani January 19, 2013

Great read

This is a wonderful written book. It gets long at times that you are ready for the story to move on, but the characters dealing with their past and trying to make a new future for themselves.
Parent of a 8, 10, and 12 year old Written bySLKbooklover January 18, 2014

Great sequel, just as good as the first

I found the sequel to be just as good as the first book. It begins to build the background stories of the main characters to help the reader understand the motivations for their decisions and actions. This book focuses a lot more on Tris and Tobias' relationship. Tris is sometimes a hard character to like and you ask yourself constantly "why don't you just tell him the truth." But just like most good dramas, there would not be a storyline if the main character didn't keep unnecessary secrets that ended up causing problems. I liked how the characters deal with hurt in different ways, but are shown working through it. Lots of action, more serious tone in this one, and sexual overtones increase.
Adult Written byabbacus January 2, 2014

Kind of disappointing, but still good....

Not nearly as enjoyable as Divergent, which is one of my favorite books I've read in a while. It relies too heavily on violence. The whole book is literally attack after attack, fight after fight, death after death. Also lots of "angty-ness" between Tris and Four/Tobias. Not as cool of a plot as Divergent. I'm still going to read Alligent (book 3) because I still really like the series as a whole. I'll give Insurgent 3 and a half out of 5 stars.