Parent reviews for James and the Giant Peach

James and the Giant Peach Poster Image

Sad

Depressing and negative. They don't need to see that
1 person found this helpful.

Best movie

Best movie! Remembered this book from when I was a kid, loved it mwahh

More swear words and mature concepts than I expected

Characters call each other "you ass" and say "don't be an ass" many, many timea throughout this book! Also, the abuse and neglect James experiences at the hands of his aunts is ongoing foe many chapters at the beginning of the book. The aunts are killed as well. Also, there is one line that unnecessarily mentions nationality in a derogatory way "I'd rather be fried and eaten by a Mexican!" Just things to be aware of in choosing this book, especially if you've only seen the movie.

A fun read for children

I read this book to my 5 year old daughter and she loved it. She is more mature than most 5 year olds, so it may not be appropriate for all. It lead to a great discussion about how not all kids have a mom and/or dad and how some kids are mistreated by their guardians. The violence is cartoony and not described in detail, so it did not bother me (Rhino eating people, a giant peach rolling over cruel aunts resulting in death, etc.). It illustrated the importance of friendship, having hope, and being a dreamer. Overall, it is a great book for kids!

eh :)

i fink it is a good book at very high standers thankq xx

A classic.

I remember reading this at age 8. It has always been one of my favorite children's books. It is a charming and fanciful story about one boy’s brave journey, as well as a motivational tale about the boy James’ escape from an abusive situation. It is a literary classic. I have just ordered it on Amazon for my own 8-year-old boy. I read the prior review and feel compelled to respond. As a parent, your job description is to TEACH - NOT to overly shelter. R-rated and some PG-movies are off-limits; understood; but this book is entirely appropriate reading material for age 7 and above. The parts of this book which bother you are - to me - wonderful openers for discussion. Part of my job as a parent is IMO to explain the world we all live in so that my future 40-year-olds are well-equipped with information. CPS exists in every city, after all. Explanations for Spiker and Sponge’s abuse might include that they have been abused themselves as children, or that they were never taught to be grateful for what they have, and thereby have grown overly selfish and unable to care for anyone but themselves. You might explain that such people (the latter) at their core tend to be unhappy and unfulfilled; as adults we have all encountered someone similar. (And also that such people (the former) can, if loved well by those in their lives, change course and become loving persons themselves.)

Not the best examples for kids

I started reading this to my boys, ages 6 and 8, and I was disappointed right off the bat. The poor little boy lives with his abusive aunts - my kids were bothered that someone could be so mean to a child and I couldn't really explain that, because of course there is no explanation for abuse. Then he meets the mysterious little man who offers him a "magic" bag of that will make his life so much better, and then he makes James promise not to tell his aunts about it. Seriously? These are all things we teach our kids NOT to do....don't talk to strangers, don't EVER take things from strangers, and don't keep secrets from your parents. I suppose the story must have improved after that but I wasn't interested in finding out. I don't think this is appropriate for kids, especially these days.