Parent reviews for Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre Poster Image

My favorite book of all time

I read this book at age eight because my big sister had just finished it, and it was lying around. I devoured it, and I loved it. No book has ever compared! I don’t know that all that dark orphanage stuff is really inappropriate for kids. I found it fascinating. And the love story...like no other. I tend to be extremely protective of my daughter, but this is one area where I am finding myself to be more permissive.

It was boring

I could not even finish the book. I liked it ok at first, but later on, it just made me drop interest! I think that young kids shouldn't read about child abuse.

Excellent Gothic romance for mature readers

Jane Eyre is undoubtedly a classic, but a mature one at that. Though there isn't any noticeably questionable content, it certainly isn't written for children--the book's vocabulary and sentence structures are dated and complex, and should be confusing for children that aren't avid readers. However, I read this book when I was twelve and I loved it.

Changed my life!

I think this book can be read at younger ages, by advanced readers 9-10 years old, but I think on an emotional level it is better to read it later. I read it at 14 and it resonated on a deep intellectual emotional and psychological level. I do not think any other book has shaped my views or my attitudes so strongly growing up. There are few books that can surpass this one in terms of writing style or language complexity, so I would recommend it to everyone. Jane Eyre the character is one of the most interesting women in all of fiction because she breaks every predictable mold of what a title heroine should be. The plot and the moral subtleties make this novel an absolutely phenomenal read.