Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Jane Eyre

Strength of character triumphs in Bronte's masterpiece.

Adult Written bySherlockian February 1, 2014

Changed my life!

I think this book can be read at younger ages, by advanced readers 9-10 years old, but I think on an emotional level it is better to read it later. I read it at 14 and it resonated on a deep intellectual emotional and psychological level. I do not think any other book has shaped my views or my attitudes so strongly growing up. There are few books that can surpass this one in terms of writing style or language complexity, so I would recommend it to everyone. Jane Eyre the character is one of the most interesting women in all of fiction because she breaks every predictable mold of what a title heroine should be. The plot and the moral subtleties make this novel an absolutely phenomenal read.

Educational Value
Adult Written byPizza G. May 19, 2017

Excellent Gothic romance for mature readers

Jane Eyre is undoubtedly a classic, but a mature one at that. Though there isn't any noticeably questionable content, it certainly isn't written for children--the book's vocabulary and sentence structures are dated and complex, and should be confusing for children that aren't avid readers. However, I read this book when I was twelve and I loved it.