Kid reviews for Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre Poster Image

Interesting but mature.

Frankly, Jane Eyre was a pretty gruesome book. Sure, most of the romance was really chaste but there was a lot of suggestive remarks and violence, so the expert rating is inaccurate. To begin, Jane Eyre is a story written in an autobiographical style so it's naturally in first person. It basically follows the life of Jane Eyre from when she's around 9 to 18. Funny thing is, the review's say there's not a lot of romantic stuff, but for modern readers, an 18 year old falling in love with a man who's like, 45 is really weird. There's kissing and a lot of "cuddling." Plus, there's the addition of a crazy wife locked up in the basement so there's that. anyway, read this book if you think you're mature enough to handle some pretty weird things.

1 person found this helpful.

hate this book

I hate this book. I always will and it's not really the authors fault it's my school's fault. I just hate being forced to read a book and this book was one of those books. DONT RECOMMEND. I thought I was going to like this book, but I ended up hating it. This is the 2nd worst book I've ever read right in front of "The Road." I hate THIS BOOK, hate hate hate DOUBLE HATE LOATH ENTIRELY. 1/5 because effort.

There's A Reason Jane Eyre Is A Classic!

I LOVE JANE EYRE!!! Charlotte Bronte writes such an complex rich novel full of delightful conversations. The novel follows the life of Jane Eyre a young orphan girl from about age ten to nineteen. Jane is a very relatable heroine weather it is her struggle to forgive others or to resist temptation Jane is faced with situations that we all face. Okay so maybe not the marriage part but in other areas of her day to day life. She shows her employer that she is more than his equal because she is a human being endowed with the dignity of God which equalizes man and woman. She also stands up to the standards of her time by showing people that it is not just the rich and wealthy that can have educations or hold intelligent conversation but anyone who put their mind to such things. I know the people say Rochester wife conveniently dies but that was bound to happen if Bertha's keeper keeps getting drunk and Bertha can snag the keys to her room and she is mad then her eventual death by accident is bound to happen. All in All Jane Eyre is a great book to read prompting thoughtful questions. Sidenote: the reason I said 15+ is because as other people have said you need to be a little more mature to grasp the depth of the novel. However I totally understand that there will be younger mature kids that will grasp this novel's rich storyline.

Great Book!

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte was written and based in the mid 1800s. The book begins with a young girl who is an orphan in her aunt's home. It traces her life. Most people agree that this is based on Charlotte Bronte herself. It was a good book that was a bit of a romantic book. I liked that it wasn't as descriptive in the beginning as other books written in that era. Unfortunately, it still had a slow start, which some don't prefer. It some serious plot twists too. If I was to recommend this book I would recommend it to those who like romance, classical, and/or slower books. There was no violence, some kissing, and not much, or no, swearing. There was no consumerism, but some people smoked and drank alcohol, but no drugs or getting drunk.

One of my favourite books!

It’s really good. I read it a while ago and it’s very nice. Some kids may get bored of it but if you read on its amazing. Jane has that strong spirit that not a lot of characters have. She’s my heroine. It might be a bit scary sometimes, I was scared myself when I first read it. I don’t think there’s swearing but Jane implies Mr Rochester may have sweared when he first arrives at Thornfield. Overall, it’s a splendid book.

A must- read.

So I started reading the book about 3 months ago at the age of 10 and at the beggining I was finding the language very difficult. It was only after approximately 20 pages I started to understand what was happening. Vocabulary is very tricky in this book; you will have to have a dictionary with you most of the time. To be honest, it all depends on how well you understand old english, as this book includes a lot of it, and before reading this book, I really recommend you research about victorian times, for this will help you while reading this well-known masterpiece of Charlotte Brönte. This book just shows exactly how independent and courageous a girl like Jane could be. After I finished the book, I wished there was a part 2 because of it being such a good read.

It’s A Classic

I read Jane Eyre for fun in fourth grade; I enjoyed it. It was romantic and gothic and I feel Jane is similar to Disney’s Cinderella. It really is good. Give it a read.

“I am no bird and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an independent will.”

I read this book and it took me about 3 to 4 weeks to get through. Yes, it's a classic and I really enjoyed it over all. However, I found it frankly disgusting that she fell in love with a man 20 years older than her (a.k.a. Mr. Rochester). Usually, I am really open-minded and I don't care who anyone falls in love with as long as they are kind and loving. I realize this both takes place and was written in the 1800s, so I can't exactly hold Charlotte Bronte accountable for matching the brooding Mr. Rochester and the bright-eyed Jane Eyre together. Essentially, that's the major story line. This book takes all different kinds off turns, and I found myself on my toes, never anticipating what's coming next. I don't think I'll read this book again for a while (it's a little heavy-- more on that later), but someday I'll pick it up again because it is somewhat of a timeless novel. Ah, yes. It's a little heavy at the beginning because Jane is abused by her aunt, Ms. Reed. Later, she is sent to an orphanage and Jane deals with fitting in and also the rough orphanage life. Her only friend, Helen, also dies because of typhus. The language is a little hard to get through, too. Then again, it was written in the 1800s. Bottom Line: Definitely read "Jane Eyre" at least once in your life. It's not for everybody, but give Jane a chance, and in doing so, you might learn a thing or two about stereotypes, men's expectations of women back then, etc.

A Really Good Read

I thought this was a really good book. At first, it was just a chore book that I was reading to say I had read because it is one of the biggest books in classic literature. And it was kind of like a chore book, while I was reading it. But, towards the end it picked up a bunch! I think the last 4 chapters were my favorite. And after finishing this book, I realized I did enjoy it. This book didn’t have any sex, or cursing. There was just a bloody scene, which the Commonsense review will tell you about under violence. This is a great read for people of any age!

Exciting at times, but overall pretty stale

To be completely honest, I didn’t even get halfway through the book. I was committed to reading it only because of the twist ending I had heard about at the end. Then someone spoiled it and I lost all ambition to read it. It does a good job of making ou not like other characters so you root for Jane Eyre by comparison. Somewhat decent from what I read but not necessarily something I would recommend.