Kid reviews for Jane Eyre

Strength of character triumphs in Bronte's masterpiece.

Teen, 15 years old Written byHunterJumper13 November 10, 2011

Fantastic

This book was fantastic, really brilliant. I cannot think of one thing wrong with it! Jane is likable and smart, and her thoughts mimic many of those that are on the minds of teenage girls- what if the guy likes someone else? This book is witty, interesting, entertaining, and once you fall into step with the language, easy to read. I love that neither Jane, nor Mr. Rochester are any beauties- it adds to the realism. It shows girls that looks aren't everything, it's strength of character. Jane is a strong female role model, and this book is a good read for any tween-teen girl.

Teen, 14 years old Written byJenniMarie September 30, 2011

It Was a Sweet Story

I read this book for a school assignment, and I kind of enjoyed it. However, I chose the age 13 and up because some of the book is a bit boring. However, I would recommend this book to anyone who is willing to spend a long time interpreting the language.
Kid, 12 years old October 23, 2011

Loved it.

I absolutely loved this book. I think i was 11 when i read it, so i'm going with that for an age range. It was kind of violent, as the description said above. The language could be difficult to read at times, because of the different time period. But I think it was a little more like today's dialoge than other classics. It was a masterpiece nonetheless.
Teen, 14 years old Written bysarahdapper8 October 29, 2014

this book is great

Jane Eyre is a story that everyone should read and will certainly enjoy. Jane Eyre is a novel that is not only a romance, but also coming-of-age story. It’s complex in that it combines so many elements of beauty, wealth, and social standing; but, it is simple in that the story is about the passionate love between two people, Jane and Mr. Rochester. It is the love story between the two characters that is the most memorable and most important part of the story. Charlotte Bronte has a feminist tone in writing the book. She makes Jane a character that is independent and doesn't let anyone define her but herself. Jane is put through years of mistreatment and degradation, yet she perseveres and wins the heart of her employer, Mr. Rochester. On the outside, the novel seems like a romance that is centered around the love of a girl and a boy. Jane Eyre is a romance, yes, but it is so much more. Charlotte Bronte outlines throughout the whole story that a person’s worth is based on their own inner feelings and characteristics, not their social rank. I recommend this novel to everyone because the story is inspiring, compelling, and extraordinary.

Teen, 17 years old Written byH___ November 20, 2016

Waste of time

I can't seem to realise why Jane Eyre is such an amazing book in this day and age. From the reviews I've read, Jane is praised for being an independent woman who doesn't feel like she needs to conform to people's beliefs of how she should act, but women with beliefs like that aren't very rare today. Sure, an independent woman may have been revolutionary in the time period, but it's not very mind-blowing now. Also, Jane herself mocks stories that "run on the same theme - courtship; and promise to end in the same catastrophe - marriage", even though her own story is based on her relationship with Mr. Rochester and ends in a marriage of the two. To summarise, Jane Eyre is hypocritical yet loved due to having the same characteristics of the majority of 21st century women, but apparently Jane is more important because she left a man she loved and who loved her because he already had a wife (so she waited until said wife conveniently died)
Teen, 15 years old Written byHunter.O January 20, 2017

Sure, it's a classic. But, I still didn't like it.

Jane is bullied as a child, at a boarding school half of the students die because of illness (including her best friend), she meets a man who she soon falls in love with (even though, in one of their first meetings, he is drunk), and almost marries her cousin! Rochester keeps his insane wife locked in his attic for nearly fifteen years, (the "madwomen") but Jane still thinks of marrying him! If I was going insane, the last place I would want to be would be an attic! After all of this "should I marry him? What about my morals?"She ends up marrying him, after his wife (as another review puts it) "conveniently dies". And people think she is a good role model? Yes, she is independent, yes she is smart, yes she is an artist. But don't forget, that she was almost convinced to marry someone because of their controlling manner, and that she ended up marrying someone who locked his first wife in an attic! I mean, come on!

Kid, 11 years old April 9, 2017

Charlotte Brontë's Masterpiece

This novel, as well as Pride and Prejudice, is a excellent piece of literature. Jane is a great role model for women who want to speak their mind. Although this truly is a masterpiece of a novel, Mr. Rochester has foul language; using words such as the "b" word and the occasional " ' What the devil?' " You also might not want to read this to your children at night because the beginning of the book is extremely violent. Mrs. Reed and her son are excruciatingly annoying to me, and they torture Jane. Bessie, one of the servants, is one of Jane's only best friends when Jane is still living with Mrs. Reed. When Jane leaves and goes to Lowood, the conditions are terrible and she often starves. When Jane becomes mature and works at Thornfield with Mr. Rochester, keep in mind this is after Jane accepts Mr. Rochester's proposal, Mr. Rochester begins to quarrel with Jane. They argue back forth, and suddenly Mr. Rochester states, " ' If you won't listen to reason, I'll try violence. ' " This is obviously NOT the way to speak to your future wife. Mr. Rochester also tells about his early life with some graphic detail about affairs with some women. Overall, I think this is a great book if you or your child have some free reading time.

Teen, 13 years old Written byPotterheadWhovian104 October 19, 2014

Janeeeee Eyre!!!!

Okay, so I was totally in love with this book the entire time I was reading it. Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books of all time. Their's a certain gothic theme to it, as well as a romance that sets you on edge because it is so unexpected and formal. There's not much to be concerned about sex wise, since the novel was written in the 1800s and does not include graphic descriptions of kissing or anything.
Teen, 13 years old Written byindia June 30, 2014

need help

okay by reading some other views i see this book is interesting
Teen, 13 years old Written byKeeperoftheDoe August 10, 2017

An exciting love story

Jane Eyre is a classic romance story that shows that love always wins in the end. It manages to convey a story of beauty and hope without sexual content. It shows that you don't have to e rich and important to find love. The only concern would be some scenes of insanity and attempted murder, along with a non-descriptive suicide. It is also a great book for school papers, containing lots of ideas to for theses.

Kid, 11 years old January 1, 2014

A real timepiece! Loved it!

Superb! Read this when I was 10, but there are some complex relationships and twists and turns involved, so I think it's really about how mature your kid is. But it is a very interesting, well-written book and you learn a lot from it; such as what life was like back then and also a lot of ambitious vocabulary. It is a true classic.

Teen, 15 years old Written byBUCKBUCK October 21, 2013

Jane Eyre

This a really good book. It is on the list of books most often cited on the AP test so it is long(over 500 pages) and somewhat complex but a good unconventional(for the time) read.

Kid, 12 years old September 16, 2012

not as good as the movie, but still great!

I read this book after seeing the movie. sometimes it can be somewhat slow-moving and other times exciting!you have to be patient with this book
Teen, 16 years old Written bylmtrav March 9, 2012

Great book...kids may not understand until they are older though

Amazing story full of passion, romance, and mystery. I just recently read it and was immediately hooked. The content is not too bad, just some kissing and references to drinking. However, you have to be older to get the true messages of the book for they are very mature and complex.
Teen, 13 years old Written bylukejijieshvili June 5, 2016

Extremely Emotional

To my mind, "Jane Eyre" is a novel that teaches us a lot. It destroys several stereotypes. It's pro-feminist and a revolutionary novel!

Kid, 11 years old October 5, 2016

Heartbreaking! I love it!

I absolutely LOVE this book. I was in 5th grade when I read it and found myself in complete agony over the feeling that Mr. Rochester and Jane will never end up together, and that Jane would never find happiness :(. In the end, this book is so inspiring at lit up my world when I finished. It led me to more classic literature and I'm still obsessed!

Kid, 12 years old July 22, 2016

Great Romance Novel

This book was truly heart-wrenching. There was a lot of romance, so to read this you'd need a certain maturity level. I thought it was well-written.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGrace2004 August 15, 2017

I read it at 9, and loved it

I read the book at nine, it was on my classroom book self. I felt a bit confused (probably because my age) about why should someone marry someone so old. And I was confused about the whole wife situation. Anyway, it have been a while since I read the book. But whenever I think about the book, I have this good feeling. So the book it's probably wonderful. And I don't remember any violence except jane's abusive childhood

Kid, 9 years old December 8, 2017

One Of The Best Classics In My Collection!

I read Jane Eyre out of curiosity because I saw the book at Barnes and Noble and it looked pretty good. When I bought and read the book, I was amazed at Charlotte Bronte’s masterpiece. It’s not the most suspenseful in the world, but other things in the novel such as characters, problems, and more keep readers turning pages. I read more than one hundred pages of this book on the day I finished it. Gifted readers ages 9-11 (I read this when I was nine) could be able to read this (it’s not like it’s inappropriate or anything negative) but I recommend it for twelve and up. Adults will love this one too. Educational value is okay but not as much as you might expect or hope for in a novel. Enjoy this classic today by getting your own copy!

Teen, 14 years old Written byMrava February 14, 2018

Masterpiece

Early feminist read, strong and independent heroine; importances of self-reliance, self-trust, honesty and education are also shown. Plus, it's a great gothic tale with a greatly drawn-out and painted setting and landscape. The backdrop of Victorian society, social norms and hypocricy (i.e. in orphanage and treatment of students) provides a great chance to show how important it is to love yourself first and foremost, trust to yourself and show kindness and tolerance to all. Most highly recommended.