All parent member reviews for Julie of the Wolves

Parent of a 10 year old Written bylacure February 12, 2010
A small part was sexually explicit and not suggested reading material for a 10 year old. The story itself is excellent, even the arranged marriage of course is still a part of some everyday cultures, but as I stated not the kind of reading material that I want my young daughter to be reading even in small doses.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byMama Monagram May 17, 2011

Not for my kid

I do not like this book at all I would not tell anyone to buy it. My kid had to read this book for school and she hated it.
Parent Written byRaisingReaders September 4, 2012

Julie is the "spouse" who is raped

Yikes! One reviewer indicates there's only one instance of "spousal rape". What they fail to mention is the "spouse" is Julie! The rape is key to the story, because Julie has run away. The reason she ran away (and encountered the wolves) is the rape. Parents strongly cautioned.
Adult Written byancientonce November 27, 2011

Give a beautiful book a chance!

I'm disappointed by other comments I see here. It's true that the book suggests one incident of spousal rape. It's presented, however, in an entirely appropriate light: not graphically described, not setting kids up for emotional trauma, not instilling negative sexual morals in any way. Yes, the presence of rape is a serious aspect of the book, and parents shouldn't just toss it at their kids willy-nilly. Give this book to your children. Let them read it or read it with them. Talk about the difficult aspects of it. Shielding them from the existence of rape won't be any better for their emotional health than letting them read about it. That said, it's absolutely true that not every child will be ready to encounter these kinds of issues, and that's up to you as a parent to decide. But in general, with parental support, this book should be suitable for preteens. And, in fact, not just suitable, but with a high potential for being a wonderful experience.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byAcarefulmama October 4, 2013

Parents cautioned - Middle school reading

I remember loving this book as a young teen, and in fact forgot about the rape scene until reading it with my younger children a few years ago. We skipped those pages completely. My 11 year old just brought it home from the school library and I'm not really happy about it. I think it is definitely is a great book for middle school age kids, but not elementary kids due to that content.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byTanya mom of 2 February 12, 2016

Newbery winner in 1988

The chapter book I found was a Newbery winner in 1988, Julie of the Wolves. I was surprised that this was on the challenged list until I got to page 102. I really liked the authors style of writing and enjoyed the black and white sketched illustrations. I enjoyed the story, however, the rape of Julie by her arranged marriage spouse is haunting and I know that this page in the book will be remembered most by kids. Did I mention the girl was 13 years old? However, I would use this book in class if I taught at the middle school or Jr High. I also found it interesting that Scholastics placed the ages for this book at 10-12 and then on a different page at 11-13. In my health class we did research and 1/3 of the high school students in the state claim to having been sexually active in 2015-sickening as a parent. I was a Uniform Victim Advocate and I think that this is a great book that could definitely bring about a great discussion about "no means no" and it's not okay to "push past the no" even if you are married to someone and the choices we make after something terrible happens.
Adult Written byCharleeAnn March 21, 2016

Cute Story

I really like this book- I've read it two times. It is pretty good, but it can be slow at some points. There is no language, but there are some more adult situations and comments concerning Julie and her "husband" Daniel. They are both still children and therefore have not done anything together, but at one point Daniel tries to force Julie to "mate" with him. This amounts to nothing, though. Daniel is the main cause of Julie's running away.
Parent Written bycswndrw November 9, 2011

Not for children

My 11 year old was given this book by a teacher. I do not think it is a good choice for children due to talk of drinking, abuse and rape. Should not be given to children to read by teachers.
Adult Written byMiasmom September 16, 2015

Interesting look at culture and survival

Thank you to everyone who has weighed in on Julie and the Wolves. I appreciate your reviews! However, I may have been afraid to let my child listen if I had read these first. My 9 year old has been listening to the audio book. We have listened to the sections on arranged marriage, drinking, eating raw meat, and even the spousal abuse (not Julie, though). I think that these issues are tactfully described, without vivid graphics or lingering paragraphs. We have talked about the affects of alcohol and other drugs, so this this will be a non-threatening way of creating more discussion. As for the rape, I will listen on my own to hear how it is described before allowing my daughter to listen. I have found it difficult to choose appropriate reading materials for a young girl with a high reading level. And even though the issues in "Julie... are ones that I might have shied from, I believe that this book is, in fact, appropriate with some parental guidance.
Educator and Parent Written bycautiousmom July 14, 2015

Respect and Resourcefulness

Julie's respect for her father and attentiveness to his wisdom and skills is what ultimately saves her life. She's a great role model for both my son and my daughter. I read this book to my kids when my daughter was 8 and my son was 9. We're reading the sequel two years later. My kids don't remember the rape attempt. I read enough to give them the idea that Julie needed to establish appropriate boundaries in one way or another. We discussed how that issue applied to their lives at that time, and it's only those lessons that they are mentioning now. They're remembering the learning, not the rape scene itself. This is a great book. Julie is able to handle what life throws at her, and she does it in respectful and mature ways. She is an admirable protagonist, and we can all learn from her awareness, flexiblity, resourcefulness, humor, and self-control.