All parent member reviews for Junie B. Jones Series

Parent of a 7 year old Written bynicolejh March 9, 2014

Reception of Junie B. Jones books

I agree in that these books can be entertaining for adults and children. However, after my daughter brought one home and she read it me, I was a little horrified. As college educated parents, regularly encouraging proper grammar, I found this book encouraging of poor grammar. Also, my child's school (as do we) discourages the use of words such as "stupid" and "dumb." My daughter actually stopped reading when those words came up and said she didn't want to say them. The particular Junie B. Jones book she brought home presented Junie spying and humiliating her teacher. There did not appear to be any consequence or repercussion of her actions. My daughter was instructed not to bring home any more Junie B. Jones books.
Parent Written bywendyd2 October 18, 2015

Disappointed with Junie B.

My kids are big readers and I've been reading novels to them since they were very young. We always try to find books that have characters that treat each other respectfully and do not use name calling. I am really disappointment with the Junie B. books. The use of stupid, dumb and hate are used so often and it makes me cringe, not to mention her poor use of grammar. I know it is supposed to be humorous but I do not like it. My 6 year old daughter loves it though.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bySarahS 8 September 19, 2015

Poor grammar, disrespectful attitude

Someone gave me one of these for my daughter and I was not impressed. The child uses shockingly poor grammar and she is rude and disrespectful to the adults in the story. I'd much prefer my daughter read books with role models to emulate rather than pick up bad habits.
Parent Written byNLNYC January 4, 2016
Grammar is appalling.
Parent of an infant, 1, 4, 11, and 18+ year old Written byAdrianna R. August 13, 2016

Junie B. Jones...

My 11yo has been reading since she was 2 and a half. She couldn't read this when she was 3, but asked me multiple times to read this to her. We got Junie B. Jones and The Yucky Blucky Fruitcake as an audio book for a road trip when she was 4. She listened to it 25 times in the four hour trip. My 6yo is struggling with reading. These are easy for her to read. I am deeply saddened that Barbara Park died a few years ago. A stupendous series. I wish I could give it ten stars!
Educator and Parent of a 5 year old Written byashley.camp July 9, 2016

Engaging and Fun for Family Reading

I am a teacher and a parent to a 5 year old little girl. I have heard some parents complain about the language and rudeness that the main character, Junie B. Jones, displays in the book. I decided to try it for myself after my sister told me how much my nieces LOVED the books. I checked out an audio book for my daughter and I to listen to during a road trip. We giggled and laughed so hard!! My daughter is very bright and we discuss good choices vs. bad choices and she knew Junie B. Jones was not making good choices but also found humor in the story. My daughter also knows that Junie is a character and in real life, she would get in trouble for acting out. I think it depends on your child and what he/she can handle as to whether or not this book is right for him/her. My daughter loved the story so much, I ordered the complete series for us to enjoy together!! I am happy that she is loving to read and it is entertaining for both of us!!