Parent and Kid Reviews on

Our Review

Based on 35 parent reviews

Sort by:

Terrible

I just read the entire book and it's awful. Promotes, at the minimum, bad grammar and selfish behavior, but even worse, a truly negative attitude about discovering new things in life . And...the kid is simply mean. Yuck.
3 people found this helpful.

Teaching rude behavior and bad grammar???

We bought the box set, unfortunately, after our daughter read one of the books at school. This is not just a waste of money, it actually frustrates all our efforts to teach proper grammar and inspire good behavior. The reading level is fine for a 1st grader with good reading skills but these books certainly won't help to improve those. My daughter liked the humor. Some children may realize this is written in a particular style and that there are grammatical errors in the text as part of this but I would not bank on it.

Poor Example

Purchased this book through school book fair for first grader. Now, in second grade, my daughter is reading it. She thinks it is funny, but I purchase kids books for her to learn how to read. This book is full of grammar that doesn't make sense! And there is lots of name-calling, and promotes the myth the extent of expectation for boys and girls in school is to tease and name-call, and of course it's because they have crushes. Basically very disappointed. Why have the grammar mistakes, children wouldn't notice, only adults would! Who was it written for? Educational Value fail as far as I'm concerned. Daughter thinks it's hilarious, though, but mostly because she saw me fuming at every purposeful grammar error. This author really makes kids look stupid, which they are not. Seriously, she thought there would be a "meatball" at the bottom of the Valentine's Day box? Even my daughter asked me why she would say that! My only answer was that the person who wrote that book must have thought kids are not very smart. Again, seemed to promote the idea also that little girls are not smart....

Awful and absolutely cringeworthy

Junie B is rude, whiny and demanding. She rarely gets any explaination as to why her words are hurtful or rude to others. I got a few because they were best sellers but ended up throwing them out. We certainly do not use this language in our house and my daughter was appalled at how rude Junie B was. Do not bother.

Base. The adjective.

My girls like them, and I regret getting them. Much of modern children’s literature goes for shock factor. These books exemplify my observation. Young children will grow literary tastebuds for instantly gratifying material that normalizes and even celebrates the base, lower impulses of humanity. Uninspiring to say the least. The author does some things well, which is another reason (besides mildly grotesque and shocking behavior) children will keep reading them. There is strong imagery and a nice build up of the characters and story, but is devoid of mental nourishment.
1 person found this helpful.

Fantastic, but gauge your child's maturity

When we first received the first book of this series right before my daughter was entering kindergarten, I pre-read a little and was appalled by Junie's B.'s behavior, and definitely felt like I didn't want my child being introduced to any negative ideas about kindergarten before she had even entered it herself. Now that my daughter is eight years old, we have been having a blast reading through the series together. Barbara Park is such a gifted writer and the way she knows exactly how kids that age talk and think reminds me of Cleary's Ramona. This is great writing...writing that conveys real life, while finding humor and keen insight into those memorable childhood moments. Don't expect the usual plot-driven fluff of early chapter books that are such a bore for parents to read aloud. Park's characters are developed and feel so true to life . Enjoy this series when your child is old enough to know that characters are not always to be imitated, and can laugh at Junie B's antics because they themselves are more grown up now and would never behave that way. I'm so glad we gave this series a second chance at a later time.

Bratty & Bad Example

The main character acts and speaks in a way I would never want to teach my child or students. I know many school teachers that love this series but I never cared for it. The times I tried to read it aloud to students I found myself changing the language to make it grammatically correct and make it more polite. I think it is supposed to be funny or relatable. Never once did I have a student laugh or seem especially fond of it. Maybe adults like it because they find it funny? Magic Tree House is much better or The Kingdom of Wrenly or Zoey and Sassafras.

Beware of Junie b Jones

I was looking for a good starter series for my daughter who is in kindergarten. Received tons of recommendations for Junie b Jones. She is not a good girl role model and the writing is done poorly. She uses words like “hate, stupid, dumb” to describe people and things. And the grammar which is trying to reflect how a young girl speaks is not helping them to learn.

"Literary" Trash

My daughter came home from school with one of these books (Sneaky Peeky Spying) and it was an adventure. She is gifted, but has anxiety and other issues that cause emotional meltdowns sometimes. She is very black and white. This book was everything I have taught her not to be/do. She became very upset constantly having to read words that are not"real words" and was in a full-blown meltdown over the atrocious grammar by page 6. Mind you, this is a child who willingly reads Nancy Drew novels, so the fact that she was crying and saying she did not want to read was EXTREMELY counterproductive. To top it off, I was an English major in college and sitting there listening to that and seeing that this little girl is so disrespectful to her mom was cringeworthy. In my day, we had fun and interesting books we could read that subtly engrained and reinforced proper grammar and sentence structure. What is the point of having early readers absorb terrible writing skills and bad habits that we are going to have to correct later? Finally, my daughter mentioned that her brother (who is 4) speaks better than Junie B Jones and that she is even more annoying than he is. If you have a bratty kid who hates the English language and this is the only way you can get them to read, totally get it... but they probably would not be able to read this level of material. If you have an advanced reader who enjoys reading and tends to be a bit more on the perfectionist side, avoid this trash like the plague. Yes, parents can use her poor behavior as a talking point for teaching how to behave, but there are quite enough examples of disrespect in the real world to use for that. There is no need to reinforce that behavior in text and it creates more work for parents who now have to lecture their kids on why just about everything in this "book" series is incorrect, from grammar to behavior.

Behavior I would NOT want my kid immitating

Bought the book set 1-14. Returned it after realizing that Junie B is everything I don't want my kids to be. I know that many people seem to love her and the books but I couldn't bring myself to finish reading the 1st book with my kiddo. I get that we can teach our kids lessons through the books but I just can't see how reading "I hate..." and "stupid..." and "dumb..." is beneficial to my kids. Junie B has a pretty poor attitude and her behavior seems to go unchecked. So many other wonderful options out there that I would recommend just skipping this series.