Kid reviews for Just Listen

Just Listen Poster Image

INFORM YOUR CHILDREN NOW!

I THINK ALL THE KARENS NEED TO SHUT THEIR MOUTH ABOUT THIS AMAZING BOOK IT TALKS ABOUT REAL STUFF YOUR KIDS NEED TO LEARN DONT BE STUPID AND SHELTER YOUR KIDS OPEN YOUR EYES TO THE REAL WORLD THEY AE BEING RAISED SOFT NOW A DAYS AND THAT IS A THREAT THIS A REAL SUBJECTS GIRLS SHOULD TALK ABOUT YALL SHOULD READ THIS BOOK AND LEARN TOGETHER AND HAVE DISCUSSIONS WITH YOUR YOUNG GIRLS ID BET THEY'D LOVE THE BOOK AND I BET THEY'D LIKE TO TALK WITH YOU OR MAYBE NOT BUT STILL INFORM THEM THIS BOOK IS FILLED WITH GOOD POINTS AND SUBJECTS AND REALLY SUPPORT THE FACT THAT NOTHING IS PERFECT NO MATTER HOW YOU LOOK AT IT

Tame description does not match disturbing book

Note: this review is mostly my opinion of the book. The book does not match the description/cover. You will likely enjoy the book at first, but the ending will leave many things unresolved and could be disappointing. I thought this was a cozy romance to read before bed. I was wrong. Not even 60 pages in, the main character's sister develops an eating disorder due to pressure from modeling. It's noted that she becomes ridiculously thin. She passes out in the bathroom with an extremely disturbing description of her body ("I saw it... the sharpness of her shoulder blades as they rose out of her skin, looking like the wings of a dead baby bird... already broken") The main character has a traumatic history involving sexual assault. She is blamed for it and called a "whore". The sexual assault is described in the book, as well as mentioned in flashbacks. While this subject matter could be turned into a great book, the plot was not carried well, leaving an unsatisfactory ending and unhealed characters.

Great book with good messages

I normally am not a fan of books. Most of the time it takes me ages to finish one, yet this book I could not put down. Just Listen has so many strong messages and deals with real life issues that many teens go through. I would defiantly recommend this book because it has a great balance of high school struggles and very serious matters like Anorexia and more.

So disappointing

Ok so I started reading The truth about forever and I was so excited because I thoughht I found some good books to read but I was wrong. I love books that just captivate you and you can’t stop reading them because they are soo good, and that’s what I felt about Kasie West books and the Matched series but this was not one of them. Don’t bother reading Sarah Dessens books within the second page I started seeing mild language and by the third chapter it became major language and I stopped reading immediately. Also a teen smokes a cigarette and a there is some drinking. So please if you really know what a good book is then you will not read these. I don’t mean to be mean but I just hate when books have language and inappropriate stuff it makes me angry and I want more books to be clean and cute romances without anything inappropriate.

For Mature Readers

I think that thisis a greatbook, but it isss definitely for maature readers. I would suggest reading this book first before you let your kid read it.

Great Lessons and Messages, Not very Appropriate

I loved the lesson the main character learned, but this book does include rape. The main character loses several friends due to hanging out with the wrong people, but learns to be honest and that hiding the truth is also considered lying. There is a little swearing but not much. The bond between her and her sisters that grows throughout the book is beautiful. I advise this be read by mature mid- teens.

Loved it!

I'm a huge Sarah Dessen fan. I've never read a book by her that I didn't like, so definitely check her out. I own Just Listen and thought it was really wonderful.

Love it!

Sarah Dessen is one of my favorite authors. I love this book. I'd say it's good for ages 14 and up.