Kid reviews for Just Listen

Teen girl struggles following trauma in riveting novel.

Wondering if Just Listen is OK for your kids?

Teen, 13 years old Written bytaraturtle February 12, 2010

Great book for kids over 13!

I loved this book. Annabel and Owen form an unlikely friendship and it teaches kids to talk about their problems. My only concerns are the rape, but that also teaches kids to be aware.

Teen, 13 years old Written byMilow July 27, 2019
Teen, 16 years old Written bySofia_Marie09 October 29, 2018

So disappointing

Ok so I started reading The truth about forever and I was so excited because I thoughht I found some good books to read but I was wrong. I love books that just captivate you and you can’t stop reading them because they are soo good, and that’s what I felt about Kasie West books and the Matched series but this was not one of them. Don’t bother reading Sarah Dessens books within the second page I started seeing mild language and by the third chapter it became major language and I stopped reading immediately. Also a teen smokes a cigarette and a there is some drinking. So please if you really know what a good book is then you will not read these. I don’t mean to be mean but I just hate when books have language and inappropriate stuff it makes me angry and I want more books to be clean and cute romances without anything inappropriate.

Teen, 14 years old Written by21_gl15561 December 21, 2017

Kid, 11 years old April 13, 2016

For Mature Readers

I think that thisis a greatbook, but it isss definitely for maature readers. I would suggest reading this book first before you let your kid read it.

Teen, 14 years old Written byKyrabfftwer February 16, 2015

Great Lessons and Messages, Not very Appropriate

I loved the lesson the main character learned, but this book does include rape. The main character loses several friends due to hanging out with the wrong people, but learns to be honest and that hiding the truth is also considered lying. There is a little swearing but not much. The bond between her and her sisters that grows throughout the book is beautiful. I advise this be read by mature mid- teens.

Teen, 16 years old Written byPride and Prejudice November 10, 2014

Loved it!

I'm a huge Sarah Dessen fan. I've never read a book by her that I didn't like, so definitely check her out. I own Just Listen and thought it was really wonderful.

Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 6, 2012

Love it!

Sarah Dessen is one of my favorite authors. I love this book. I'd say it's good for ages 14 and up.

Teen, 16 years old Written bySydni329 March 8, 2012

you never know (:

I think this is a type of book that teens can relate too. Whether rape or being sexually assulted has happened to you or to your friends, you'll be able to understand what it feels like. And having someone that you never thought in a million years would be there for you when you needed someone. You never know what kind of people are out there.

Teen, 14 years old Written byi<3teenromancebooks January 30, 2012

lessons learned

i honestly think that this book was great! it really taught me a lesson about trust. Trusting people is a big life lesson and annabelle thought that she was safe with sophies boyfriend, before he abused her in more than just one way by almost mocking her at school and making her feel HORRIBLE! so i think what im trying to say is that this book shows that you cant trust everyone that walks your path and to really be aware of your surrondings because what annabelle went through was terrible.

Teen, 14 years old Written bymetry January 9, 2012

Theme

As a freshman in high school, I think that this is a great book! but parents should know that there are inappropriate scenes and messages. Although there are good role models, such as Annabel and Owen, Annabel is not a role model in the beginning but is one at the end. The theme is to tell the truth and do not always keep everything to yourself...there will always be someone to help you carry the burden no matter if it's big or small.

Teen, 14 years old Written byGeorgielovesbooks January 7, 2012

Amazing book, small rape scene.

This book is really inspirational. I read it a couple of weeks ago because my friend recommended it, and I loved it. The one thing I'd look out for is a small almost-rape scene. The man does pull her trousers down, but then he gets caught in the act, at the end he does get sent to prison for it. Worth the read though!
Teen, 15 years old Written byKelso:) December 3, 2011

Great Title! Totally fits in with the book!

This book is incredible. Me being 15 I felt like this book related to my life! I love this book with a passion. Im doing a book project for school now.

Kid, 12 years old November 19, 2011

Just Read!

Amazing book. Sends a good message for speaking out. It had many adult situations and cursing.
For mature audiences. Age 13+

Teen, 17 years old Written bycnlm13 October 18, 2011

Incredible.

This book is really great for teens and young adults who understand and can fully grasp the concepts that are in this book. The book itself is simply amazing without being too in your face. All of Sarah Dessen's books are relatable and they tell stories that seem so real. It's a great read with a few swear words, references to sex and drinking.

Teen, 13 years old Written byAbbyLynn!!:)<3 October 7, 2011

AWESOME..!!:)

This is a GREAT book!! I loved it so much. I really didn't know Annabel and Owen would hook up..!!:)&lt;3

Teen, 16 years old Written bybookkeeper July 12, 2011

One of Dessen's Most Popular- And Not Without Good Reason

Sarah Dessen books are popular but become formulaic, so read this one first- it's one of her best. In Sarah Dessen's world, everyone drinks, parties, and smokes pot. Themes are heavily hinted at, then outright explained, a disappointment for those who prefer to find the deeper meanings and make connections themselves. Owen and Annabel have a delightful relationship, interesting in all its twists and turns, but it was the subplot involving Whitney, the anorexic sister, that really captured my attention. Whitney overcoming her problems was much more exciting than Annabel overcoming hers. When I read this as a young teen, I didn't fully pick up on the hints at Annabel's almost-rape.
A word on Sarah Dessen: As I said, Sarah Dessen is formulaic. Fathers are either absent or in the background; mothers are well-meaning but flawed and controlling; the protagonist is cynical or shy until a strange boy comes in and changes her perspective. You could get discussions out of any of these common features, to put a thoughtful twist on it all.
(Sarah Dessen's novels are predictable enough that my friends and I use it as an adjective - "Then he kissed her in the rain! Such a Sarah Dessen moment!"

Kid, 11 years old July 10, 2011

Just Wait...

I loved this novel. The girl tries her best to be nice, and tries her best to be who she is. The only problems are they drink, and violence and sex is mixed together to create a big sexual harrasment and a broken friendship.

Teen, 15 years old Written bymrscottoncandy14 July 4, 2011

AMAZING!!

This book is perfect for twelve. There is drinking (not too much) and a girl has an eating disorder. It is an amazing book, and there were times I started reading faster and faster, so anxious to get to find out what happeneds, and laughing loudly. I would reccomend it.

Teen, 15 years old Written bykittenmady June 5, 2011

Great Book

This is such a great book. Good for older teens.