Parent reviews for Kira-Kira

Kira-Kira Poster Image

Surprised by content

I am surprised that the Common Sense Media Expert review and the parent reviews didn’t reveal some unnecessary content in the book. Sexy stuff: 1) Main character talk of her sister showing her new breasts to her male cousins. 2)The main character wonders if her 15 year old sister is showing her breasts to the boy she is out with. While playing scrabble, a boy cousin creates the word “sperm. “ There is talk of parents trying to make a baby. The main character didn’t know what it involved, so she listened at her parents’ door and heard a lot of grunting. She then concludes that making a baby is a lot of hard work. Language: There is sporadic use of language through the book. G*d D***. And others. I don’t have time to look it up, but I would say there was mild profanity on 3-4 different occasions. I personally enjoyed the book. However, I read books with kids in mind. 10-12 year olds don’t need the sexy stuff. As a parent, I would be upset if this book was in my child’s classroom. Otherwise, the book is very good with great messages and role models.

I'm not sure how there is only 1 star for language when it uses the S-word. I was pretty shocked to see it in a book for children. The rest of the book is very good, but for one line I can't keep the book in my classroom library. Disappointing choice by the author, in my opinion.

Loved it

I'm surprised to see no warning about the language...there are some cuss words in this book - 4, to be exact. Anything Katie did that was negative (like shoplifting) she had to apologize for and make it right. I LOVED this book. I thought it moved quickly and completed it in a day. I could not put it down. I can see a mature 9 year old reading it and liking it, but it is going to take a certain level of maturity to "get" it. I thought the ending was simply perfect and it left me smiling and feeling warm inside.

not rated for age
not rated for age

Inspirational and Moving -- a review by Dana, age 12

Cynthia Kadohata’s ‘Kira-Kira’ is an inspirational and moving book. Katie is a young girl who looks up to her older sister, Lynn. It might be her good looks, love for animals, or smarts that seems to attract everyone’s attention. Katie’s family includes a strict mother, an easygoing father, and the odd fish, Uncle Katsuhisa. They receive many looks, for they are Japanese, and come from Iowa. Katie and Lynn aren’t exactly enthusiastic about moving to Georgia, but their parents need jobs at the Hatchery. Lynn tells Katie that kira-kira means glittering, and they have many ways to use kira-kira. She describes that the sky is kira-kira because it’s deep, but see-through at the same time. The ocean and eyes are kira-kira for the exact same reason. Kadohata’s writing style is just like the sky and the ocean. It has deep meaning, even though at first it seems like a children’s book. I thoroughly enjoyed the character development, and the small jokes spread throughout the book. Overall, I would seriously suggest this book to people who are looking for a fictional, emotional, and moving book.