Kid reviews for Kira-Kira

Kira-Kira Poster Image

Cynthia Kadohata's heartbreaking Newbery Medal book - Kira-kira

Kira-kira is a well-written, emotional book about a family's struggle through poverty, discrimination, and staying together. Katie, the main character, is taught by her older sister, Lynn (or Lynnie) that everything in the world, from the sky to tissues to the sparkle in one's eye, is kira-kira (glittering). She learns to cherish life and to not let things like poverty or illness keep you from enjoying every moment of it. When Lynn falls terminally ill, Katie is lonely and heartbroken, for Lynn is not only her older sister, but her role-model and best friend as well. Lynn is the one who keeps the Takeshima family together in these hard times, and the one who makes them appreciate all they have. Katie is heartbroken as the family falls apart after Lynn's tragic death, but must use her sister's teachings to set the family back together. This is a heart-wrenching tale of friendship, love, and family, as well as death, discrimination and poverty. It is a wonderful book that will touch a reader's heart and I highly recommend it. It is a wonderful book that brought me to tears.

1 person found this helpful.

Sad, True-to-Life Coming of Age Story

Kira-Kira is a sad story, but essentially, it's a story about looking for happiness and hope in the world. Kira-Kira, the name of the book, means "glittering, shining" - and it's what Katie, the main character uses to describe everything she likes. It's her first word - a word her sister Lynn taught her. I didn't really think I'd like this book when I first started reading it, and I estimated I'd give it two or three stars - but it really grows on you. If you think you won't like it, keep reading. It only gets better. In addition to the main message of the story, it talks about being a minority in the 1950s/1960s, for example, Katie's uncle wants to be a land surveyor, but it's explained that no one will hire him. However, they say it is different for the children, because the world "is changing". For inappropriate stuff, there are two couples trying to have babies. It's mentioned that, while her parents are trying to have their baby brother, Lynn tells Katie never to go into their parents' bedroom without knocking first. Katie listens outside the door and decides that making babies must be hard work. French kissing is mentioned, but Katie just thinks it would be hard to kiss using your tongue and your lips. The book also says that some of the workers at the factory where Katie's parents work are trying to unionize, and it mentions some of their unfair conditions. Katie's brother gets stuck in an animal trap, but otherwise there isn't much violence. Katie's uncle chews tobacco, and there's some swearing {elongated version of "s--t", a mention of the "b-word", and "God d--n"}, but a mature ten-year-old should be able to handle it. The whole book has a childish charm, and by the end you are rooting for Katie. Katie works hard trying to take care of her family, just like her parents, who constantly work in the factory. There are quite a few good role models in this story. It also paints an accurate picture of grief. I recommend this book to people who like historical fiction, coming of age, and who don't mind if there's some sadness.

NOT before eleven. Common Sense Media did not rate this correctly.

Twelve is around the age where girls start having puberty, and there is some girl puberty-related and sexy stuff in the book, so twelve is the ideal age to let your child read this book. There are four cuss words in it, which is too much for a kid's book, in my opinion. I read it when I was twelve, and eleven, twelve or thirteen is the perfect age to let your child read it. There are positive messages and good role models in it and good storytelling, though, so that is why I give it three stars.

Good book.

Many people are annoyed by the few swear words and "adult" concepts in this book, but what they don't realize is their kids have most certainly already come across these concepts in their daily lives at school. This book is great for kids, as it is written from the perspective of Katie, a very young (5-9 years) girl! Children will certainly be able to identify with this perspective, more so than almost all other books they read. A must read for young kids.

Great story!

I first read this story in third grade and still love it today. It's a touching story that's very well written. If you're on the more sensitive side, be warned that there are some emotional parts, so you may want to keep that in mind. Also the age rating was hard to give for this book. It really depends on how well you deal with mildly inappropriate things (chewing tobacco, swear words, and several other things). If you can't handle that type of stuff you may want to stay away from this book. Overall though, this is a great book that you'll never forget.

absolutely, positively the best book you can have your child read!!!

When I got this book for christmas, my first thought was... BORING!!!!! Until I started reading, that is. The book is amazingly written and will have you laughing, crying, and smiling the entire time. The book is one of the most sad I've read in a long time, and definately younger children will not be able to deal with it, but for a mature tween, this book is one to get them thinking about hardship, undying love, and loss.

Kira-Kira is AWESOME

OH MY GOSH this was one of the best books ever! I started crying ( I am close to my two sisters). It was a story of a girl growing up with her big sister, Lynn. Read this book!