Kid reviews for Life as We Knew It

Gripping, terrifying disaster tale will inspire discussions.

Kid, 11 years old March 31, 2011

For 12 and up

I love it my whole school is reading the whole series this book is awesome!!!

Kid, 12 years old March 27, 2011

Great Book!

One of the best books ever. A teacher shared it with me in the 6th grade. Great book. High marks. A little language here and there, the whole concept really makes you put things in perspective.

Kid, 10 years old November 24, 2010

Too scary for Kids around ten or preteens.

The first time I was able to read it, I was SO excited! My Mom warned me that it would be scary, but I thought I could handle it. "There'll just be a scary part here and there." I thought. But when I began reading, I started to get scared. I was in the very beginning part and it scared me so much! It was so scary that I tossed it onto my floor, and then I went to Mom and told her it was WAY too scary, and that I was THROUGH reading it. I told Mom that whoever made this book was a genius at horror. The possible chance I'll be reading it again is in seven years when I'm seventeen. Maybe...I don't know...
Teen, 13 years old Written bytoree.train April 9, 2008

In general a good book, but a tad bit boring

Life As We Knew It sends out a good message for any middle school or above student, but it's not exactly scary for 8-year-olds, either. At times the descriptions Susan Pfeffer provides are a tad bit "graphic," but not too much for anyone to handle. Actually, I thought it got a bit boring around the middle of the book. It described the same things over and over, like the food crises and what supplies were needed for when. No, I have not finished the book, nor read any of Susan Pfeffer's previous books. But I can already tell her writing style is different than most writers. I do read alot, and I don't mind being called a nerd. This story supplies a strong message, saying families should be prepared for "the-end-of-the-world." It's also relatable to the economy, and the down-fall of our country right now. To me, as a student and child, it brought up questions. Serious ones, at that. Such as, "Should we prepare ourselves?" and "Is there really anything to worry about in modern day America?" But this book has a great atmosphere, and can be enjoyed by anyone with a few hours to spare on a rainy day.
Teen, 15 years old Written byily325 May 17, 2011

the best book ever

Omq i love this book i finished it in a week once you start reading this book you will never want to put it down.......<3

Teen, 14 years old Written bybookworm500a.d March 18, 2011
it's really good! When i started reading it i couldn't put it down at night i looked up at the moon and started wondering, if that happened us what would do?? I want to read it again but i'm scared to i don't know why

Kid, 11 years old March 6, 2011

One of the best books i've ever read

When i read Life As We Knew It, i had just picked it out randomly at the library. It's a fantastic book and the second and third ones don't live up to the first one!!!!

Teen, 14 years old Written byhayleeg70 May 1, 2013

Must-Read!

My science class got to pick out of a list of books and the title caught my eye, and I'm glad it did. This book didn't make me scared at all, it made me put my life and the things around me in perspective, especially while I was reading it due to Susan Pfeffer's thrilling detail! The book is also easy to relate to for teens because it is told through the diary of 16-year old, Miranda. I'm not much a reader, but I couldn't put this book down. Excited to read the rest of the sequel and highly recommend the first book to teens everywhere!

Teen, 13 years old Written byKarebearreader2011 June 29, 2011

One of the best books ever

This book is one of the best books that i have ever read. There is language here and there, but not seriously offensive. Miranda and Dan share a few kisses. A parent does commit suicide after her daughter dies from starving herself. After I read this book, it did kind of freak me out a little because I kept thinking about all that I have, and how grateful I am for all those things my mom does for me.. It even made me think about how the world could end up like that.. Anyone around the age of 11 & up can read this book.

Teen, 16 years old Written bycristina219 May 16, 2016

best book out there

I remember reading this for the first time in the sixth grade. It was recommended by my teacher and i fell in love with it. I bought a copy of my own and still reread it every few months,4 years later.

Kid, 12 years old February 7, 2013

Good but Cheesy

This book is very good. My social studies teacher had us read it. Miranda (Main Character) is a very good role model and expresses her opinions in her journal. She realizes throughout the book that life is so much more precious than it seemed before the incident. In my opinion though the ending to this book is cheesy. Nothing that leaves you hanging. For the last few chapter to, Susan Beth Pfeffer seemed she done with the book and just wanted to finish it, which may explain the ending.

Kid, 12 years old August 17, 2013

An amazing book, but make sure you know your child before letting them read this.

This is an amazing book! It had a great theme and a great plot. The third book is the best (and scariest!) but don't bother with the second one. Before you let your child read this book, make sure that you know them and their reading ability well. There are cuss words and a lot of violence, death, and suicide. Miranda is 16 and her mom is always fearing that she will get pregnant, though Miranda swears that she would never "do anything". In the third book her older brother gets "married" when he goes to a motel and just meets a girl. He comes home and exclaims that "they're married." My librarian's son read it and she told me that he said that it was dark and dense for him, and he's 20. Make sure you know you're child's reading ability very well to see if they can handle it. The book describes that as Miranda walks down the deserted streets, she sees piles of dead bodies of teachers, friends, and neighbors. In the third book there is a very gruesome scene where they walk into a house and found a newly dead dog that had eaten his owner alive, and there is a sad scene where a beloved character dies. Though, if you feel comfortable with your child reading Twilight or the Hunger Games, this book should be OK.

Kid, 10 years old January 13, 2013

Awesome book

Many food brands are mentioned. Talks of sex and pregancy occor. There is a fear of danger throughout the book.

Kid, 11 years old January 8, 2013

AWESOME READ NOW

This book was GREAT awesome never thought ii ever read this excellent book red now

Teen, 15 years old Written byabbazabba August 11, 2011

I LOVED it!

I LOVED this book. I read this for the first time when I was 12 and I've kept on reading it over and over again. It's addictive and a great read!

I never lost intrest in Life As We Knew It

I really enjoyed this book. I really liked the suspense. It had such good and detiled parts. Like when Miranda's mother took her out of school and they all rushed to the grocery store and bought everything they could. I also liked it when she described all the disasterous parts like when the cold weather came, her mom got sick, and the roof caved. It's an incredible book. I hope to read a lot more of Susan's books!!!!!!! ~Keely, 12~
Teen, 14 years old Written byDravenW August 6, 2017

Good, but sad

I loved this book, but I think I read it to early in age. I was up way to late reading this book and it was very depressing at multiple points, but at the same time, meaningful and gripping. I would definitely recommend reading this book, but I would warn against reading it at to young an age.
Teen, 14 years old Written byfluffbutt222 May 9, 2017

ffffs

Ok, for one, This book is amazing, i'm hoping sometime to buy all the books for myself, after i nab a game i really want. This book stayed with me for a while. I could NOT stop reading it and I couldn't stop thinking about it. Amazing.

Kid, 12 years old June 1, 2014

Amazing, Gripping, Unforgettable Book

As the main charachter Miranda embarks on a journey to save herself and her family, you will find yourself right next to her hoping she and her family stay safe. There is a little bit of content that is slighty innapropriate, but overall it's a great book that kids and adults alike will love.

Teen, 15 years old Written bySavannah-j August 22, 2013

Life as we Knew It Must Read Book

This book is my favorite book of all time. I enjoy the apocalypse type books because i can get so into the book. It is frightening enough to keep me interested, and really get me to think about everything the book discusses. The first time i read this book i was 13 and it was for school. I fell in love with it and quickly moved on to the second, and third in the series. It is a great book for classes, or just leisure reading. I have since re-read the book (i am now 15) and it is still just as wonderful. It is a fairly easy read for strong readers of 13 and up, but even if you are 15 or 16 the story is still interesting. It can be scary and morbid at times for younger readers but it is an all around good book. There is only a bit of language, and only kissing, no sex. This is definitely a book you will want to keep on your shelf and re-read, i know i do.