Parent and Kid Reviews on

Living Dead Girl Poster Image
Our Review

Based on 16 parent reviews

Sort by:

The Most Disturbing Thing Since "Flowers in the Attic"

I read this book at the tender age of 14 and it has stuck with me ever since. This book graphically describes the years long ongoing sexual abuse of a a young teenage girl as she attempts to escape the predator that kidnapped her as a young child. I would advise that sensitive adults do not read this book, no child should read it. It is incredibly disturbing and depicts graphic sexual violence.

Sort of disturbing

It has a lot of disturbing and gross parts that might not be that nice for kids to read

Perfect for older teens

I love this book becouse i can react to the same things that has happened i have felt the same way about life, and also the book has became quite adictive!!!!

perfect for 13 and up

i love this book. its really good and interesting. i say it could be good for 13 years and older

Waste of time

After reading several reviews, I was impelled to read this book to decide for myself if it was worth the intense criticism and strong negative response from parents. I found this book offensive, but not for the reason most shared. As a teacher, I was offended by how badly the book is written! Many reviewers complained that this was graphic, voyeuristic, perverted, etc. I agree. There are definitely sexual inferences and some explicit content...but no more than would be in many movies that kids are watching. What I dislike is the lack of a storyline, resolution, character growth, or point to the whole thing. Saying this is a story that proves a person can survive anything is like saying the movie "Jackass" is a story that proves a person can survive anything. Both show lots of suffering. Both lack the most integral part of any story worth investing in…a point. The author writes this book in a poorly executed stream of consciousness format. The biggest problem with this format is that, in order for it to be successful, one must care about the character and find some connection with him or her. I found the narrator to be unrealistic, dry, and quite frankly, it was hard for me to really feel bad for the things happening to her because she was never made real. This book lacked the emotional connection and authenticity that books such as Push by Sapphire and A Million Little Pieces by James Frey excelled at. These books are equally or more graphic, but the content makes the graphic nature acceptable, even necessary to the story. Scott does not capture this necessary element to a story of suffering. Instead, she spends the 100plus pages robotically depicting sexual abuse of a "tortured" man and vaguely depicting the relationship between kidnapper and kidnapped. The end does nothing to justify the means. The part of the story where we could finally come to care about Alice is destroyed when Scott abruptly ends the novel. Overall, I would not recommend this book. Not because a teen couldn't handle it, but because it is a waste of time. There are a lot of books that would satisfy a teens desire to read of human suffering, abuse, torture and hopefully, triumph in a much more worthwhile way. Keep this one on the shelf.

Despite what the initial review says about this book, in biased terms I might add, the point of this novel is NOT FOR ENTERTAINMENT. It was written to deliver a powerful message, and that it does. Yes, it's depressing. Yes, it's violent. But it makes you think, and it reminds us to be grateful for the things we take for granted. I find it offensive that people would write this book off as poorly written simply because "it doesn't help anyone" and it's "inappropriate." The world isn't all cherries and roses, and this book is one of the most powerful novels I have ever read. Don't write something off, just because it's scary.

Scary, as a parent.

Trisha is 20, and this was her favorite book in her senior year. All the stuff in this is scary, as a parent. But it's a typical high school book. Luckily my almost high school sons aren't in to this kind of stuff.

10 year old loved it

Definitely an adult book

I am a 23 year old librarian and I loved the book. It was well written and I couldn't put it down. That being said...it is not appropriate for teenagers. It is way to graphic and there is no happy ending or uplifting moral. Certainly a book for mature audiences and even then, the content could be very disturbing to some.

You must be mature enough to read this novel.

I absolutely adored this book and I think that it is very very ignorant for parents not to want their child to be exposed to such things. This book portrays REAL situations that girls may go through, and even the psychosis that causes a man to want to do these things. You have to be mature enough to handle the words and the feelings in this book though. Do not mark it as inappropriate and inform parents not to let their children read it simply because you dislike it. I bought the book and finished it within two hours. It is hypnotizing, you want to know what will happen. And in the end, the bad guy does die, and Kyla goes free. If you were in that situation I'm sure you'd wish your pain on someone else just so it would go away. You have to put yourself in their shoes.