Kid reviews for Love Letters to the Dead

Heartbreaking but beautiful novel about a sister's grief.

Based on 1 review

Teen, 15 years old Written byBlue2102 May 19, 2020

Melancholic novel

Deep and sad. I feel like the whole book you're waiting for the protagonist to understand all her emotions. There were some wierd parts in this book that aren't all that realistic (sometimes she sort of stops thinking ?), but the friendship and final understandment is worth reading this book. There a little bit of sex and drinking.

Teen, 16 years old Written byPhonee22M. July 11, 2018

Couldn’t Get Into It

I thought this book was horrible, the message was good, I enjoyed the way it was written in the forum of letters, but I found the main character insufferable. I get she suffered PTSD, but most of her actions seemed unrealistic, like when she’s around 10 and some guy puts his hand up her shirt, how she just did nothing, she didn’t scream or cry or fight, she just sat there and continued to let men violate her, keep in mind this first incident happened before her sister died. If you prefer stronger female characters, don’t bother.

Kid, 12 years old April 27, 2016
Love Letters to the Dead is a really good book. It really shows how teenagers struggle to find themselves and how to deal with someone's death. Even though the material is a bit strong I recommended this book to anyone who thinks is capable of handling what the book talks about. After all everyone goes through something like this

Teen, 15 years old Written byboredwierdo11 January 17, 2016

Class book review

Parents need to know that "Love Letters to the Dead" is book written by Ava Dellarira. In this book there is a girl named Laurel she gets an assignment from school she has to write a letter to a dead person she has grief over her sister that died she does the assignment but never turns in any of the letters she's written. One of the central conflicts in the story is when Laurel is fighting with her self because she thinks that she was the one to kill her sister. One of the main themes in the book is Laurel grieving over her sister wish she was back. I believe this was a good book because it made me want to read more, it was interesting , and it made me wonder. I would recommend this book to other people because it was just such a sad and interesting story and it made me want to read more and more. I gave this book a four star rating because it was just really interesting. I marked it 14 and up because it had some sex scenes and some very detailed kissing scenes it also was talking about smoking, drugs, and drinking. I marked the box that says" Too much sex" because there is some sex scenes. I marked the box that says" Too much swearing" because there are words such as a**, b**** and more. I marked the box that says "Too much drinking/drugs/smoking" because in the book it talks a bout smoking and then they get drunk a lot and they drink a lot in the book and they talk about marijuana.

Teen, 14 years old Written bygreenloversara July 17, 2015

Teen, 16 years old Written byJflores14 February 13, 2015

amazing and heart-breaking tale of one girls journey through grief

this life changing novel is a perfect fit for those who have been affected by the death of a loved one. Laurels accounts painfully honest and are truly though provoking! A one of a kind novel.
CONTENT: (SPOILERS*******)
violence- one character commits suicide by throwing herself off a bridge and her body is described afterwards. One girl is punched in the face by her boyfriend. A girl is sexually assaulted by her sisters friend as a child on numerous occasions. The main character is raped by a guy at a party after he drugs her.
sex- a lesbian couples struggles about acceptance is a prevalent theme. They kiss and make out in bras in a bed. A girl has steamy make out sessions with her boyfriend in his car and she lets him touch her everywhere in her bedroom. Talk of petting and groping. A guy forces his hands down a girls shirt and under her skirt. He makes her watch him masturbate and then eventually rapes her in a car.
Language- several uses of f**k, some usage of sh*t, b*tch, ass, crap, damn, etc.
drugs- drinking and drug use
MY RATING:
PG-13/ for mature and disturbing material, sexuality, rape, some language, and drug use- all involving teens